Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everybody,

I kept thinking about the extended warranty for my 2016 smart car which i didn't get but i can purchase it before the standard warranty expires. I like to keep my cars for a while and since I got the 5-speed manual (i expect less issues than with the DCT transmission), I thought the standard warranty will be enough. What do you think?
1. Did you get the extended warranty on your 453?
2. Should I get it?

Thanks,
Alby,

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,765 Posts
No, extended warranty (and the high margin) is usually only good for the dealer.

Read ALL the fine print of EXCLUSIONS and then say no.

Bought one for our 2008 thinking, new unproven car with a miserable 2 year warranty. 8 years later - a few nitnoid problems and never a claim?

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
If you plan on keeping the car in the long run, I say, YES! You have 0% financing on all 2016's you can take advantage of, and the warranty is covered at smart dealerships. The extended warranty today is better than the ones offered in 2008/2009.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,765 Posts
Do whatever allows you to sleep at night . . .

You have 0% financing on all 2016's you can take advantage of, and the warranty is covered.
0% financing does not equal "free" extended warranty?

Although a couple (Feb 2014) years old, CR sez . . .

Among survey participants who used their policy, the median out-of-pocket savings on repairs covered by extended warranties for all brands was $837. Based on a $1,214 average initial cost, that works out to a net loss of more than $375. Factoring those who didn't use their policy, the median savings was zero.

Extended Car Warranties Are an Expensive Gamble - Consumer Reports

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
0% financing does not equal "free" extended warranty?

Although a couple (Feb 2014) years old, CR sez . . .

Among survey participants who used their policy, the median out-of-pocket savings on repairs covered by extended warranties for all brands was $837. Based on a $1,214 average initial cost, that works out to a net loss of more than $375. Factoring those who didn't use their policy, the median savings was zero.

Extended Car Warranties Are an Expensive Gamble - Consumer Reports
Yes, I agree. No denying that here. But the same can apply to anything "insurance" related. There are profits involved, but only if the warranty goes unused. It's added peace of mind though, because for some folks paying an extra $20 per month (random figure, used for example purposes only) is a better alternative than spending $1,500 at once on an inconvenient repair occurring after initial warranty period. I brought up 0% because it's better than paying for an extended warranty AND the interest portion of it. Take advantage of 0% across the board. It's a reason many people choose to buy instead of lease.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
This is an unanswerable question, more or less. It depends on whether the car will in the future require a repair covered by the warranty. If not, the money for the warranty has already been paid out and gone. It also depends on what, or more correctly, whose warranty, meaning a actual manufacturer extended warranty or a aftermarket policy. It also depends on what level of coverage you wish to pay for. The higher cost policies cover more items on the car. Not all manufacturers offer a extended warranty of their own. Claims for those that do are handled just the same as normal basic warranty claim with no waiting for inspections or approval. For aftermarket warranties a third-party is involved.

A multitude of variables are involved, some of which can not be known in advance. If you set aside $100 or $200 each month in separate interest-bearing bank account you will accumulate a ready made vehicle repair fund, which, if not used, is still available for sodas, cookies, pizza, etc. Or you could just waste it.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
The only time I bought an ELW was a week before the warranty on our Mercedes expired, and I knew that the A/C compressor was lunching itself slowly, and the starter motor was going to croak again. In the end I got a new A/C compressor, a second new starter motor, a new RF wheel bearing and five new door panels under that ELW. If the car hadn't been a problem beforehand, I'd not have done it. The $2000 paid off many times over in my case.

If you can buy ELW at the end of the regular warranty, wait until then, determine if the car is a bit of a problem and whether you will be keeping it or not, and decide then.

·
Super Moderator
1,568 Posts
Never bought one and never would have made out by buying one. My thought is that it is just an insurance policy and in the long run, the insurance company will always win.

Len
2014 EV

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everybody,

I kept thinking about the extended warranty for my 2016 smart car which i didn't get but i can purchase it before the standard warranty expires. I like to keep my cars for a while and since I got the 5-speed manual (i expect less issues than with the DCT transmission), I thought the standard warranty will be enough. What do you think?
1. Did you get the extended warranty on your 453?
2. Should I get it?

Thanks,
Alby,
I am super late to the ball game here but I think this needs to be added.

I purchased a 2016 smart fortwo passion with the 900cc turbo engine; along with an extended warranty.

It is now Jan 2020 and i purchased the car in Jan 2017 as a demo...
The extended warranty covers up to 120,000km not in addition to the base 80,000km warranty.

Now the issue at hand:

My "Turbo Blew" so said the dealer, and for some reason will not give me more than that in terms of information. This is pertinent since due to the mileage I do I am now in extended warranty land. The dealer said that Mercedes-Benz Canada will not cover the repair due to the part number involved, which I have no idea what it is other than its the turbo.... ish.

Now the fun bit, this repair with labour is going to cost a massive 5-7 thousand dollars, and I still owe money on the car. I have been digging for info for the past days to no avail and I very upset, and soon to be out my honeymoon money, which again, sucks even more.

So, on my end I would say no simply due to what has happened to me, both a he said she said thing, and a salesperson not giving me the whole truth...

Also, is someone has had the same issue, maybe chime in on this.

Thank you

Will

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's a gamble either way. My two penneth, if the car is maintained by the book and has proven reliable up until now then I wouldn't. If it's been a bit troublesome then I'd probably sell it and buy another one anyway. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,232 Posts
I got extended warranties, on all our cars. It been kind of a waste of money. None of them ever break. It is piece of mind Thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts