Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully this hasn't been posted somewhere else:

Likely to be unveiled at IAA in September.

A prototype of the 2016 Smart ForFour by Brabus has been caught on camera for the first time.

Wearing very little disguise, the pocket rocket was spotted testing in Europe carrying slightly beefier front and rear bumpers along with a Brabus logo hidden underneath black tape on the trunk lid. The prototype was sitting a bit lower than the regular ForFour which indicates it will get a sportier and stiffer suspension while the wheel design was covered with some stickers.
It will also have a sportier exhaust system with two tailpipes denoting this is a punchier ForFour by Brabus which is believed will use an uprated variant of the three-cylinder 0.9-liter TCe engine. In the regular model it develops 90 PS (66 kW) but Brabus will work its magic and bump output to 120 - 130 PS (88 - 96 kW).

The Daimler-owned marque will probably introduce the ForTwo & ForFour Brabus duo in September at the Frankfurt Motor Show. Sister model Renault Twingo is expected to get the same setup in the higher specification GT model.
Source and more images: 2016 Smart ForFour by Brabus makes spy photo debut

·
Super Moderator
29,394 Posts
120 hp? That bodes well for the C453 version which weighs less than the forfour. But will we get it in the States?? :)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
"Sister model Renault Twingo is expected to get the same setup in the higher specification GT model."

I hope Renault Sport gets to do their own twingo RS and someone does a head to head between the two.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
I have nearly zero doubt that both the Renault Sport and BRABUS versions will be identical mechanically, and the only difference will be the cover on the engine. It makes no sense on a cheap car like this for each to do their work independently, and frankly it is probably Renault that has taken the lead and BRABUS will be a rebadged RS.

·
Registered
495 Posts
looks like a FIAT four door... Im a bit disappointed with the looks. I guess i was expecting something with more Zing. but thats me..
steveg.

·
Super Moderator
17,722 Posts
Why can't smart bring this little puppy over. It looks great, in a modern mono color. Good looking little Brabus 4 door.:)

Spyshots: 2016 Smart Forfour Brabus Looks Ready to Rumble - Photo Gallery - autoevolution

Normally, I'd dispute this. I think one of smart's distinctive traits are the two tone colours.

However, Americans LOVE buying cars in shades of gray. They also have joined in on the boom of small cars. I think a mono-coloured forfour would sell well here. :)

I have a feeling we *will* get the forfour, but way too late for smart to make any splashes in the market.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A thinly camouflaged 2016 Smart ForFour by Brabus was spotted testing in Spain.
The cute pocket rocket seems to be sitting lower than the regular ForFour which indicates Brabus is implementing a sportier suspension along with enlarged brakes and a dual exhaust setup. The prototype had some camouflage on the front and rear bumpers which will look a tad more aggressive than the stock ones and there could also be some other body changes that aren't visible on this near-production prototype.
We are not entirely sure what will power the Brabus-optimized ForFour, but most likely it will be an uprated specification of the three-cylinder, 0.9-liter TCe turbocharged gasoline engine upgraded from the series 90 PS (66 kW) to somewhere in the region of 120 - 130 PS (88 - 96 kW).
The Renault Twingo is about to get the same array of enhancements for the upcoming GT version which could be showed in mid-September at IAA alongside the beefier ForTwo and ForFour duo.
Source and pictures: Brabus-tweaked Smart ForFour spied with light camo in southern Europe

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
New pictures:

Our spy photographers have sent a new batch of images with the hotter Smart ForTwo and ForFour tweaked by Brabus.
The Brabus-tuned ForTwo and ForFour have been baking in the oven for quite some time, but the wait is almost over as the pocket rocket duo should show up in Geneva early March.
Seen here are two near-production prototypes that don’t actually reveal anything new compared to previous spy images showing dual exhaust tailpipes and a lowered suspension. Other goodies on the menu include chunkier wheels, redesigned front & rear bumpers, along with wider tracks and enlarged brakes.
The million-dollar question is: What will power these two cars? Chances are it will be an upgraded version of the turbocharged three-cylinder, 0.9-liter engine rumored to develop up to 130 horsepower. Another way to go would be the bigger 1.2-liter also sourced from Renault, but probably Smart and Brabus will stick to the smaller and lighter motor linked to a manual gearbox.
Taking into account the probable Geneva debut, expect to see the Brabus-prepared ForTwo and ForFour make an online appearance in February. Let’s not forget Renault is also working on a Twingo GT that will likely come with just about the same upgrades as sister model ForFour. It should also show up at the Swiss auto show about two months from now.
Source: Smart ForTwo & ForFour by Brabus spied during winter test

·
Registered
19 Posts
Why can't smart bring this little puppy over. It looks great, in a modern mono color. Good looking little Brabus 4 door.:)

Spyshots: 2016 Smart Forfour Brabus Looks Ready to Rumble

I think that when you get into the small, 4 seat hatchback market, unless you are a hardcore rear wheel drive fan like myself, there are a number of choices that would offer back seat passengers more comfort than the Forfour. Especially if the price is higher than a Fortwo Prime, which I expect it will be.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Well, at least in the States, the Brabus was only really ever available in Silver/Silver or Black/Black (and i'm talking about the OG '09 Brabus).

And i love how they mask off the Brabus name and the rear diffuser. It's like "Hmm.... i wonder what that might look like? *Insert new style 451 Brabus diffuser panel here* Oh.... ok."

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
CLEARLY, that is not going to be what an eventual smart BRABUS is going to look like. Unfinished lower trim, soft fog lamps, soft soft soft headlamps, the only thing is the BRABUS emblem in the trunk that is masked off.

But no way a true smart BRABUS is going to look exactly like that once released. This is why it's just a "spy" shot and nothing confirmed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts