Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Daimler’s redesigned smart car made its North American debut in Manhattan on the eve of the New York Auto Show.

And where better to showcase this urban runabout than the Big Apple, where space is at a premium and parking spots can be tough to come by? The new fortwo should be better in every way than its predecessor, which has been excoriated for its poorly shifting automated-manual transmission.

That’s one of the 2016 model’s biggest improvements. Drivers now have a choice of gearbox. They can go with the car’s standard five-speed manual or they can opt for a dual-clutch automatic.

The new smart is powered by a rear-mounted three-cylinder engine. It’s turbocharged and delivers 88 hp and 100 lb-ft of twist.

Beyond powertrain enhancements the new car should also feature improved comfort and better maneuverability despite a track width that’s been increased by 100 millimeters. Additionally it should be safer than before thanks to the greater use of high-strength steel.

The 2016 smart should go on sale in the U.S. this fall.
See more 2016 Smart fortwo photos at AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I am impressed with the new Smart, but id really want to see one with the automatic transmission. All i see is the Manual gearbox which is not too good for me, i cannot drive a manual very well. I am also very curious of the price tag of this baby.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Probably safe to assume that the price won't be very different than the outgoing version... maybe a little higher because that's the way life is.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I am impressed with the new Smart, but id really want to see one with the automatic transmission. All i see is the Manual gearbox which is not too good for me, i cannot drive a manual very well. I am also very curious of the price tag of this baby.
You're only seeing manual models because that's all that is currently available (in Europe). The delayed introduction in North America is so that the new automatic will be available at launch (in North America). It was not ready when the car was launched in Europe, but it's not much of an issue in that market.

·
Registered
219 Posts
IMO, the new one looks like an over-eating hamster with its mouth stuffed with corn or something, and I'd be tempted to start looking for a previous model demo next year when the new one should become available here, so that I can drive the much more petite-looking 451 as long as possible. May even spoil myself with a passion cabrio... :smokie:

I know the current transmission isn't the greatest, but I like the option of being able to switch between manual most of the time and auto when in a long queue of bumper-to-bumper traffic. Another reason to get the passion, because I've just noticed that it has quite a bit more "twist" than my pulse, which would mean considerably less shifting!

Happiness is when, after about three years of ownership, you look at the gallery photos of your own car model on the dealer website and you can't help but smile at how cool it's still looking!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think that question is on a lot of our minds!
Probably safe to assume that the price won't be very different than the outgoing version... maybe a little higher because that's the way life is.
MSRP for the Pure coupe is going to be $14,650+destination/delivery. 5-speed manual is standard/no charge but the 6-speed double clutch automatic is a $990 upcharge.

·
17,303 Posts
So, the pure sees a $2k price increase from its price back in 2008. I can only guess what a cabrio would cost. :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Cabrio is gonna be April of 2016 so there's plenty of waiting for that but it'll likely be just over $20,000. Overall there is a $2,000 price increase but it comes with a lot more options. Pure coupes now come with bluetooth, power steering, cruise control, power windows, LED daytime running lamps, new turbo engine, new transmission, 4" wider, and a handful of other features I'm not remembering right now. It'll be a little more expensive but more of a car than the previous generation.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yes, but standard equipment on the 2016 Pure now includes:

5 Speed Manual Tranny
LED Day Time Running Lights
Crosswind Assist
Cruise Control
Power Windows
3 Spoke Multi-Function Steering Wheel
Color Display Instrument Cluster
Blue Tooth Handsfree
Alarm System
Power Steering
Sunglass Box
Lockable Service Hood
Tach & Clock Instruments
Smart Radio With CD

A lot of standard equipment for the $2K!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, but standard equipment on the 2016 Pure now includes:

5 Speed Manual Tranny
LED Day Time Running Lights
Crosswind Assist
Cruise Control
Power Windows & Mirrors
3 Spoke Multi-Function Steering Wheel
Color Display Instrument Cluster
Blue Tooth Handsfree
Alarm System
Power Steering
Sunglass Box
Lockable Service Hood
Tach & Clock Instruments

A lot of standard equipment for the $2K!
Pure still has manual mirrors. Passion, Prime, & Proxy have the power mirrors standard though. Everything else is correct.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts