Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Came back from vacation to a warning light on my smart car. The dash shows "12V Stop see Owner's Manual". I have searched google but cannot find anything on this, which is odd to me. The car starts fine and all accessories work as they should. Any thoughts on what is causing this? The car is not in warranty so trying to figure out what the issue is before i take it to dealer. I have just shy of 49K miles on it. Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, yes i did check the manual and saw to check the belt, sorry should have mentioned that. The belt looked fine and was spinning as it should. No OBD codes and it still fires right up so I am thinking the battery is still good. I am going to check that tonight at Auto Zone. Wondering if maybe the alternator is bad? And the belt I am checking is on the passenger side spinning on the alternator correct? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had the battery and alternator tested at AutoZone. Alternator tested bad as the battery was not getting any charge. I did a double check and the belt is for sure spinning on the alternator. Is it possible the belt could still be the problem, maybe it is stretched? I didn't see any issues with the belt, I found a alternator on MBonlineparts.com for almost $600 :(. Having trouble finding another source for a alternator, any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestion, i checked amazon and didn't find one but will look again and check ebay.

Anyone know if a special tool is needed to remove the alternator belt or to do anything else during this swap?

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good morning, so dealer told me $1700 to fix because of the level of difficulty and also there are only 2 parts in the country. I am not sure what to do, is it really that hard to do? He mentioned dropping the engine. I am pretty good with a wrench and was able to change spark plugs on our MB GLK 350 and have swapped a transmission on a R6 street bike.

·
Super Moderator
28,905 Posts
Any good auto shop, with access to either the Mercedes WIS or something like Alldata.com, should be able to swap alternators in a couple of hours. The alternators on Amazon or eBay are all under $150. $1,700 seems excessive to me. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So i just put a multimeter on the battery with the car running and its at 14+ volts. So the alternator couldn't be bad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts