Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello smart fam . I am noticing that the 453 is awful when going over any bump in the road . The car really gets thrown around and it’s very uncomfortable . 10k miles passion model. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
29,203 Posts
You should try a 451.....

I think yours is one of very few complaints about the 453 ride - most owners, especially if they had a 451 earlier, seem to think the 453 ride is much better. Have you checked the tire pressures, and does the car have the sport package?:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I have driven a few 451’s and I agree the ride is much smoother on 453 . However , any bump , crack, hole in the road and I feel like I’m in a go cart . You definitely feel it very harshly . Wasn’t sure if something as wrong or if this is standard . Ofcourse I try to avoid them when I can . I also notice in traffic stop and go the car lags a bit . Very jerky and late with responding

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
They didn’t include location so we don’t know if cold temps and heaved Winter pavement is also a factor. In the 6+ years I have owned smarts in the area where I live you can feel the ride get rougher as the Winter progresses and pavement heaves from freezing temps.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Our '16 Passion was a real bumpfest. When the stock Contis wore out, we got new Road Tamers from Discount Tire all around. Unbelievable difference in ride & handling.

Do it now, save yer neck!

SR

·
Registered
252 Posts
shock

My 453 2016 got better when I make the dealer change the shock absorber sttoper there was a new impruve part,I found out when I drove the 453 in some of the early shows.Had to be on top of the dealer for 6 months to do the job.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I drove a loaner 453 with the larger wheels (I think 16"), not sure if it had the sport package or not but it was like a buckboard compared to my 2017 Prime with 15" alloys.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you've got 16" wheels with 205/45R16 rear tires and 185/50R16 front tires, change them to 15" wheels with 185/60R15 rear tires and 165/65R15 front tires. Make sure the tire pressures are correct. Overinflated tires give a harder ride.

Has someone fitted harder, lower springs? This is often done for appearance and makes the ride noticeably harder. Compare the ride height (the distance between the top of each tire and each wheel arch) to a standard car.

Check that you don't have any broken springs.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,910 Posts
My 453 2016 got better when I make the dealer change the shock absorber sttoper there was a new impruve part . . .
Does your work order show the part number of the NEW improved bump stop that you could share with other 453 owners?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I drove a loaner 453 with the larger wheels (I think 16"), not sure if it had the sport package or not but it was like a buckboard compared to my 2017 Prime with 15" alloys.
so the 2017 has smaller wheels ?? Wondering what I should do . Change the wheel size ??

·
Registered
40 Posts
same issues, more noise on very cold temperatures, after dealer replaced both front suspension(spring and shocks absorber)nothing happened
I suggested that needs to be replaced the strut bushings, after they replaced no more problem now the car is running like new..

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
My 453 2016 got better when I make the dealer change the shock absorber sttoper there was a new impruve part,I found out when I drove the 453 in some of the early shows.Had to be on top of the dealer for 6 months to do the job.
So... do we have a part number for said stopper?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts