Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought my fantastic 2016 Passion. It already has a tow plate, but isn't wired for towing. Does anyone have a wiring diagram/suggestions for this? I'm told that since it's under 2500 lbs, it doesn't need a braking system, but I think the lights need to be used. My son is installing this system and an automatic battery shut off. BTW - it's a standard transmission.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

·
Registered
117 Posts
You may want to verify that you can flat tow a manual transmission 453 smart. Everything I've read says it will damage the transmission. I know intuitively that doesn't make sense but if you look at other threads here the general consensus is that only the DCT transmission can be flat towed per Mercedes Benz.

I just wired mine (2017) using the Blue Ox wiring kit with diodes. I ran the wires from the front lower grill where I mounted the base plate and plug in for the lights up to the firewall on the driver's side and into the interior of the car. If you look under the dash fairly high up to the left of the brake (in your case clutch) pedal you will see a rubber plug in the firewall. I poked a hole in the rubber plug for the wires to run through. Then I ran the wires over to the kick panel on the left side and down through the plastic trim that runs along the bottom of the door sill and back up the rear trim panel following the wiring harness. If you pull the large rubber gasket that seals the door away from the plastic trim you can see how to run the wires under the plastic. Once I got the wires to the same level as the cargo floor, I ran the wires for the right tail light across under the carpet. I had to splice the brown wire in the diode kit at that point so I could run one brown line to the right and one to the left. Also, when you pull the plastic trim piece on the left side of the cargo area to get to the back of the tail light, you will see a grounding stud with a wire bolted to it that is a good place to attach the ground wire from the diode kit. The stud is close to the back of the driver's seat on the side wall. To get to the wiring on the tail lights you will need to pry the lights gently and they will pop out. If I recall correctly there is one screw that has to be removed first. Sorry I didn't record the color coding on the smart so I can't tell you which wires go where, I used a tester to identify the correct wires to attach the diodes to. There is enough room between the body of the car and the tail light housing to attach the diodes there. You could attach them inside the car but that requires un wrappingg the stock wiring harness to get to the individual wires and it's harder to work in that cramped space.

Sounds complicated but it was actually much easier than installing the base plate. I think it took me about an hour and the lights work great!

As for braking the laws are different from state to state and Canada so you may want to check that out. Some states require braking systems on anything over 1000 lbs so you may want to consider where you will be towing the car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have flat towed my 2008 Smart Passion Coupe for about 30,000 miles with no ill effects at all. I simply put the engine in neutral, turn the key off as far as it will go, and pull it away. After a sharp turn, at first, I found the steering on the Smart hunting back and forth, so I put a bungee cord through the steering wheel and fastened it to both sides of the seat adjusting rack. It then tracked straight and true, and tire wear was never a problem. I never had a dead battery, even after towing it for three days without using it. I heard you needed a braking device in the car if it weighed more than 2000 lbs, which it does not. When I towed the car, it was so easy, I had to check the camera once in a while to make sure it was still there. By the way, I was the first Smart owner in America to get to Blue Ox in Pender, NE in January of 2008, so my car is the one shown in the photos of how to install the base plate. I got the base plate and Aventa LX tow bar free and only had to pay for the wiring kit. It took three days for them to custom build two plates. One for me, and one for them to use as a model. Neat-O!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've decided just to trailer it. The wonderful people at eTrailer are taking back the Roadmaster towbar I bought. I was really looking forward to that simple tow, and my smart would have looked so cute behind my Transit van, but I didn't want the likely damage.

I bought an Aluma 6810H, which adds only 500 lbs.

Thanks for all hour help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts