Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Stop Now and Turn Engine Off message this afternoon with the thermometer for coolant showing red. The engine is overheating but coolant was only down maybe a quart. Jim checked the coolant an hour + later, topped it off, let the car sit and run then went for a short drive and it overheated again.

Looking for suggestions for the issue. We’ll do more diagnostics in the daylight tomorrow. Of course we aren’t at home and closest dealer is Rochester,MN 81 miles down the road.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Burp the head! The coolant has to go down from the engine under the car up to the coolant bottle. You can have air in the head and overheating up there because of the air trapped up there. I would do that first and then look for coolant leaks in hoses going to heater and bypass circuit. The bypass circuit is used to provide heat fast in the winter before it gets sent to the radiator. I am not as familiar of course with the 2017, but I suspect there is a head bleed procedure for it too.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Not too familiar with the 453, but Rochester did a great job when I had the heat shield done, drove me to work and dropped the car off when they were done. Great customer service! Hope they can help you out on a holiday weekend (I guess)

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The dealer service center burped and filled the radiator and tested it. They have driven it today as well and still no leak. They will continue to drive my smart the next couple of days in the hopes that whatever caused it to lose fluid will do it again. We will plan to pick it up Saturday morning to drive home if it doesn’t overheat between now and then.

White Lightening I will ask the service manager about the recommended antifreeze/coolant.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hi. Hope your vehicle back on the road and handling well.

Did the smart service center recommend a store brand of coolant for the 453 that can bought in a local auto store?

453 coolant is bevo 310.1, potentially not automatically Xerex G-05 approved for the 451 (bevo 325.0).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts