Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've gotta ask, what's the thinking behind removing instruments from the DCT cars, and linking paddle shifters with the Sport Package only? Every 451 passion came with paddle shifters standard and many of us prefer having the option to use them as needed, or all the time for some owners.

It looks like somebody back at the Mothership has decided only the 5-speed cars will be driven "in a sporting manner" so standard DCT cars don't get the instruments; same with the paddles - no paddle shifters unless you order the Sport Package. Just my .02 but the paddle shifters should be on every DCT car, Sport Package or not. :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hmm I wonder if I could retrofit the cornering function on my MY16 prime. Maybe it's just a harness update with a software update?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've gotta ask, what's the thinking behind removing instruments from the DCT cars, and linking paddle shifters with the Sport Package only? Every 451 passion came with paddle shifters standard and many of us prefer having the option to use them as needed, or all the time for some owners.

It looks like somebody back at the Mothership has decided only the 5-speed cars will be driven "in a sporting manner" so standard DCT cars don't get the instruments; same with the paddles - no paddle shifters unless you order the Sport Package. Just my .02 but the paddle shifters should be on every DCT car, Sport Package or not. :)
We've received a lot of mixed comments on the instruments, so now they're optional for DCT! We left them in on manual cars to keep people from blowing anything up.

The Sport Package steering wheel with paddle shifters is actually a unique, more expensive steering wheel compared to the standard leather-wrapped wheel, and the cars can still be shifted through the gearstick. A lot of choices have to be made to keep this affordable car in the affordable range. So paddle shifters went out, but A/C, power windows, power steering, etc. went in.

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, but a couple of comments: I assume the 453 has the same computer controls to prevent over revving as the 451, so the instruments aren't really necessary to prevent that. The car won't let you do it.

Wouldn't the cost of the paddle equipped steering wheel go down if it was spread over every DCT car produced? Economy of scale, etc. As it stands now, we've gone from a $0 cost for paddles on the 451 to $1,590 for paddles on the 453. That just isn't right IMHO. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
OK, but a couple of comments: I assume the 453 has the same computer controls to prevent over revving as the 451, so the instruments aren't really necessary to prevent that. The car won't let you do it.

Wouldn't the cost of the paddle equipped steering wheel go down if it was spread over every DCT car produced? Economy of scale, etc. As it stands now, we've gone from a $0 cost for paddles on the 451 to $1,590 for paddles on the 453. That just isn't right IMHO. :)
True, it does, though we felt it is still good to know where you are in the revs when you're rowing your own gears.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Oh hey, that looks familiar....

Slight update to this update, the red tridion cell (EN8) cannot be combined with red body panels (ECF) as they are actually two shades of red.
SO....The 451 cars with silver panel and silver tridion were different shades and so were the black panels and black tridions . :shrug:

(I'll be waiting until MY 2018 and maybe smart will have figured out what or what not to include in the car)

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Just my .02 but the paddle shifters should be on every DCT car, Sport Package or not. :)
As has been mentioned here in the past by some 453 owners, steering wheel paddles just aren't as important on the 453 as they were on the 451. When I leased the 451 I specifically selected a Passion with paddles instead of cruise. For my driving, cruise wasn't an important feature. Because of the terrain in my area I used the paddles constantly in my 451. Not really necessary with the 453. You have to live with a 453 for a bit to realize how unimportant the paddles really are in that car. The engine, transmission and computer tuning mostly, if not totally, eliminate the need for them. If you feel you must have them you can always search for a 453 with them or order the car with them.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
The standard suspension and tire setup on the 453 is actually much more "sporting" than on the 451. Handling is remarkably better!
Well, I disagree. At low speeds the 453 runs circles around a 451. It's not even close. The 451 handles like a delivery van compared to a 453 at low speeds. But at high speeds, a 451 is the sports champion as its suspension hardly travels up and down. The 453 goes up and down over bumps, adding to comfort, but chipping away at ones ability to change directly quickly.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Well, I disagree. At low speeds the 453 runs circles around a 451. It's not even close. The 451 handles like a delivery van compared to a 453 at low speeds. But at high speeds, a 451 is the sports champion as its suspension hardly travels up and down. The 453 goes up and down over bumps, adding to comfort, but chipping away at ones ability to change directly quickly.
I have been driving cars for more than 50 years and have owned mostly European autos of many different suspension designs. I definitely find the 453 to be much more stable at speed and when changing direction in a sporting manner at speed. The roads in my area offer excellent opportunity to "challenge" a cars suspension. My 453 outperforms, suspension-wise, under all conditions than did my 451. Yes, the 451 has a "tighter" suspension but the redesign of the front and rear suspensions on the 453 render it more stable and better handling all around. Again, I'm not referring to the optional suspensions on either gen smart. My comparison is based on driving local roads at 40-60 mph and on Interstates at 60-80+ mph.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don't get what's the hype with the cab 453. Are there that many people here ordering one?

Just a safety question i never understood... with the cab you have just a DUOion cell body no?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don't get what's the hype with the cab 453. Are there that many people here ordering one?

Just a safety question i never understood... with the cab you have just a DUOion cell body no?
I learned to drive both automatic and manual in convertibles, and I'm also probably biased because of what I do, but I love the cabrio simply because of how fun it is when the top is down and the roof bars are out.

Safety wise even though you're losing the middle bits of the roof, you're still getting the same level of protection as the coupe. The roof bars are there only to house the tracks needed to close the top, they are not a part of the safety cage. There's additional lateral support in the form of the basket handle and a torsional bulkhead underneath the car, and the A-pillars receive additional reinforcements. Fun fact- we did drop tests on the cabrio where the car is hung upside down and dropped it on its roof!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yea I love convertibles! My last car was a MINI convertible.. loved every minute of it. But with the soft tops it's loud when you don't want it to be but a hard roof just wouldn't work in the design with the MINI or the new 453.

So the Tridion cell is really just the bottom part of the chassis? OK well as long as they are not sacrificing safety just for the open top but i'm sure they did their homework.

Anyways.. I'm not expecting these to be flying out the door considering i have yet to see another non-cab here in Toronto... :shrug:

I learned to drive both automatic and manual in convertibles, and I'm also probably biased because of what I do, but I love the cabrio simply because of how fun it is when the top is down and the roof bars are out.

Safety wise even though you're losing the middle bits of the roof, you're still getting the same level of protection as the coupe. The roof bars are there only to house the tracks needed to close the top, they are not a part of the safety cage. There's additional lateral support in the form of the basket handle and a torsional bulkhead underneath the car, and the A-pillars receive additional reinforcements. Fun fact- we did drop tests on the cabrio where the car is hung upside down and dropped it on its roof!

·
Registered
912 Posts
I can see their point about the paddle shifters. They're good to have on a 451 because the automatic shift logic is not good at picking the right gear to accelerate with, and a downshift is half a second of shift-delay away so the logic tries not to do it. On something that is capable of changing gear more quickly, it's not a problem to put smarter part-throttle downshift logic into it, and then there's little need to shift manually. My other vehicle has a "normal" automatic transmission, with proper part-throttle-downshift logic, and it's rare that I ever feel any desire to pick a different gear than what it automatically selects. My sister has a VW with their DSG transmission (similar concept to the Twinamic in the smart 453) and same situation there; it's much better at being in the right gear at the right time.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts