Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi! 🙋🏻‍♀️
We just bought our first smart almost 3 weeks ago.
I’m totally in love with it! He ranks up there with my ‘71 Superbeetle & ‘74 CJ5. Über fun to drive, (even with all the overcompensating pavement pounders screwing with me on my commute. What’s that about??)

I have been trying to find this answer so please forgive if it’s been posed already, but the first week & a half I could charge to 100% & get almost 60 miles available. 58-59, 60 on a couple of days even.
Now starting about a week ago, I can only get 48-49, today was the first time I’ve gotten 50 in a week.
I’m in California, if that helps. I work 11-12 hour graveyard shifts so I leave when it’s dark & come home in the dark. It’s around the low-mid 40s about that time & I drive 30 miles one way mostly freeway. Not gonna lie, I haul ass around 75-80 most of the way if I can.

Any ideas? Am I doing something wrong? I charge it on the Level 1 MB cord that came with it from my 110 on the porch & when I get to work there’s a 110 in the parking lot.
Should I buy a Level 2 for better mileage? I do want to upgrade the charger, should I have the porch 110 converted to 220 or is there a cord that will charge “better?”
Sorry for all the newb. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,800 Posts
I'm guessing that your 70 - 80 mph is what's doing a number on your range. If you have the heater on, that makes it even worse. I easily get mid to upper 70's, even mid 80's in the summer, but rarely do I get above 55 mph and I can't remember the last time I had the heat or the air on.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 21,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 22,500 miles

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah, definitely no heat or air on when I drive.
That really sucks the available miles down!
It would be nice if I could do 55mph but this stretch I do is 65, but you’ll get run down if you’re not doing 75 most of the time by those big trucks. 😆
Would running the battery down to the red & then charging over night possibly “reset” back to where the full battery was giving more available miles?

·
Super Moderator
1,800 Posts
Don't think so. The range guesstimate number is more or less based on your last run(s). Oh, I just noticed that you've got a 453 version. My experience is only with my 451's, so input from other 453 owners would help. The range listed for the 453 window sticker actually was less than for the 451's.

Len

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh! That’s good to know, thanks so much!
So, it is predicting that I’ll burn around 10 miles less on a full charge because I’ve been a speed demon.

Yeah, 453 looks like I will get around 10 less than yours, which is kind of a bummer. I wonder why that is?

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
362 Posts
Have you been using ECO mode? That will add a few miles. Also put it in cruise on the highway, don’t jackrabbit accelerate, and let regen use up most of your breaking time approaching lights. Use heated seat instead of the heater. Change the dashboard screen to see the eco score and try to improve on that. Don’t bother getting a 220 volt cable, your batteries actually live longer filling slowly, and the rate batteries fill do not change your range estimate. Wait a few hours for your batteries to cool before charging yields better estimates, and you won’t be wasting money with your electricity running the cooler. In othe words, If the batteries are hot, the radiator will cool them down while the charging begins.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don't think it's a 451 vs 453 thing (though the 453 has a slightly larger battery).

The Smarts are awesome, fun little cars, but they have the aerodynamics of a dinner plate, so even a 10 mph increase in highway speeds will hurt the range noticeably. I'd do an experiment: run the car for a full charge cycle at no more than 60-65 mph. See what you get for range and compare that to your normal usage. If that accounts for the difference, then you have ruled out all possible mechanical variables (a dragging brake, a low tire, etc) and now have the information to make a choice about how you drive the car or at least have the information you need for the times when you really need to eek 60 miles out of a charge.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Oh! That’s good to know, thanks so much!
So, it is predicting that I’ll burn around 10 miles less on a full charge because I’ve been a speed demon.

Yeah, 453 looks like I will get around 10 less than yours, which is kind of a bummer. I wonder why that is?
EPA changed the way they rate electric car ranges between the model introductions.
In reality the 453 has more range...

·
Super Moderator
1,800 Posts
More range than the EPA says or more range than the 451? I know it has more range than the EPA indicates, but I'm not sure about the 453 vs. the 451. EPA says the 451 was 68 miles. I think the 453 was around 59 miles.

Len

·
Registered
825 Posts
More range than the 451. Our 453 regularly gets more than 120 km (74.5 miles) per charge.
In ideal conditions that increases to 140 km (87 miles)...
When my son used to drive it to and from work (at around 120 kph), the car only got around
100 km on a charge so, speed is not your friend! 😧

·
Registered
147 Posts
Since I own 2 electric cars I can say highway speeds is the culprit. In town electric cars get more miles than OEM Estimated but highway they get less.
I also notice no manufacturer ever states MPKw like all gas cars are required to state MPG.
I have a 2017 Chevy Volt, OEM estimated 50 miles EV, I get 65 miles easy mixed highway/city, that car goes 5.6 miles per Kw
My 2015 Smart 451 electric OEM estimated 80 miles, I get 50 to 60 miles city, this car goes 3.2 miles per Kw.

All OEM electric cars are currently listed as RANGE, they just keep getting bigger batteries! That's like a bigger gas tank on a gas car, nothing to do with efficiency.

·
Registered
2014 Cabriolet bought in Sept 2016 with 6,470 mi
71 Posts
Sin:
There are a few reasons you get less range when it's colder.
First, the traction battery pack is less efficient when the pack is colder - for me as much as 3 mi/Kwh.
Second, the tires lose inflation (psi) as the temp drops and more tire on the road means more friction and less range.
Third, the amount of electricity charging can put in the traction battery pack is reduced when it is colder - as much as 4 Kwh worth.

If you use the heater, you can cut your range even further

·
Registered
136 Posts
Wonder if mdl 453 weights more than 451. Body is wider, better cross wind stability, but driving range may be less unless battery capacity was increased. My 2015 Smart ED got about 50 miles range in Denver metro area due to hills. Was driving on side roads not freeways to extend its range, also not driving in winter time. Got TurboCord for charging that works on 110V & 220V, more compact the OEM unit. Charging cord works well with current 2014 BMW I3 electric.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My 2015 ED seems to have a mind of it's own, I have driven 70mph on the freeway on a round trip of 62 miles one hot summer 110 degrees with using the AC intermittently. I got home on Reserve but the car made it and always had 3 bars in the Kw lower right.
Now in the cooler weather 50 to 70 degrees I get 50 miles estimated but as I stated above I drive 38 and have 22 remaining so the "50" on my dash is more like "60" so I believe 60 miles is an accurate range.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A lot of these answers have given ideas to improve your range, and that's great, they're good ideas, but I think you're asking about the range shown on the dash after you charge the car. In that case, nothing, not using the heat nor air conditioning nor driving fast changes that. That number is expected mileage and cannot be expected to anticipate the kind of driving you'll be doing. Personally, I've gotten a higher mileage number on the dash when I'm using my 220 volt charger. The 112 volt charger that came with the car didn't seem to "fill up" the battery as thoroughly.

·
Super Moderator
1,800 Posts
I disagree with Dan. The expected range after a charge is based in part on the range and driving style of the previous charge. Not using the heat and AC and driving fast will in fact reduce the expected range on your next charge. My wife and I have different goals and driving styles. She is lucky to get 70 miles on a charge, while I often get into the low 80's. I always use a 110v regular outlet to charge mine overnight and it "fills up" the battery nicely.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 21,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 22,500 miles
2014 EV Coupe 20,000 miles

1 - 17 of 17 Posts