Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is this Heaven? No, it's a smart car rally in Iowa! Again!

The planning stage has started with the location announced at the smart Car Nationals in Deadwood, though the date has changed.

The 2017 Midwest smart Rally will be held on June 22-25 in Iowa’s oldest city of Dubuque, the “Masterpiece on the Mississippi.”

The host motel is the Holiday Inn located in downtown Dubuque. Additional lodging information will be posted later.

Planned events include a scenic cruise on the Great River Road, a tour of the National Mississippi River Museum, a visit to Antique Archeology and the Field of Dreams, sightseeing in Galena, and a riverboat dinner cruise.

Here is a tentative schedule:
Thursday afternoon meet and greet
Thursday evening dinner
Friday scenic drive on the Great River Road with stops at Antique Archeology and Galena, Illinois
Friday evening dinner
Saturday morning tour of the National Mississippi River Museum
Saturday afternoon scenic drive to the Field of Dreams
Saturday evening riverboat dinner cruise
Sunday brunch (optional)

Other attractions include the Fenelon Place Elevator and Lock and Dam #11 on the Mississippi River. For more information on Dubuque, check out the Dubuque Convention & Visitors Bureau.

Registration will start early 2017. Please post on the Participation Poll thread if you plan on attending.

See you in Dubuque!

Drive smart

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"The Pickers" rarely show up at the stores except to tape an episode of their program. Mike Wolfe lives near Nashville, so he spends more time at the Nashville store than here in Iowa.

I'm working out the logistics of visiting the Iowa store during the rally. There is limited parking and the store is not that big. I would like to meet "The Pickers" when we are there. We'll see.

Drive smart

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
Sadly Jan and I will not make this one. Ironically we chose a trip to Alaska at that time so as NOT miss the Midwest Rally which has always in our smart time of ownership been at the beginning of June. We can't change our trip schedule as others in our Miata club are going with us.
We loved visiting Dubuque seeing the Field of Dreams, the Greyhound Track, the newly remodeled downtown Hotel Julien, and a fantastic fireworks display on July the third at Eagle Park overlooking the Mississippi which wasn't muddy that far north. You will have a fun time on the Rally and we will miss seeing everyone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am especially looking forward to meeting all of you. My first 40 years spent in Minneapolis, but most recently on the Left Coast. I have been deeply involved in the smart saga since 2000 and have taken the founder of the UK smart club to lunch & visited Hambach & smartville. My favorite memory of smart motoring is tooling on the motorway near Lille at max velocity being passed by the TGV on the tack parallel to the roadway and going about 230 mph. Planned schedule looks like one to create many very fond memories.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 45 Posts