Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I just wanted to put out this post to ask all 453 owners there opinion about a problem I have with my car that is driving me nuts and I want to fix it.

On my car (at idle only) in neutral and in drive, my car is making a sort of clunking sound at idle. It is almost as if one of the engine or exhaust parts are making contact with the frame of the car. My car does have a slight shake at idle (0.9 turbo) but not really that bad. As soon as my foot comes of the brake (like when the engine is under torque) the sound disappears. When I stop and my car is not moving the noise returns.

The noise is a bit subtle and seems to originate from the drives side back corner. About the noise you have to listen for it but it is definitely there and gets barley drowned out with the A/C on medium. Funny thing is when you open the drivers door to listen the sound is harder to hear then when you are isolated in the cabin.

Car has already been to the dealer with no resolve.

Please anyone with a 453 if you can give me any ideas or just let me know how your car is running please let me know.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Hi All!

I just wanted to put out this post to ask all 453 owners there opinion about a problem I have with my car that is driving me nuts and I want to fix it.

On my car (at idle only) in neutral and in drive, my car is making a sort of clunking sound at idle. It is almost as if one of the engine or exhaust parts are making contact with the frame of the car. My car does have a slight shake at idle (0.9 turbo) but not really that bad. As soon as my foot comes of the brake (like when the engine is under torque) the sound disappears. When I stop and my car is not moving the noise returns.

The noise is a bit subtle and seems to originate from the drives side back corner. About the noise you have to listen for it but it is definitely there and gets barley drowned out with the A/C on medium. Funny thing is when you open the drivers door to listen the sound is harder to hear then when you are isolated in the cabin.

Car has already been to the dealer with no resolve.

Please anyone with a 453 if you can give me any ideas or just let me know how your car is running please let me know.

It is very possible that you may have an exhaust rattling against the underbody. I'd check again if I were you.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me if you hear any similar noise on your car?

I have no complaints about my '17 BRABUS. However, exhaust rattling on the underside of any car is a relatively common occurrence. It may have been evaluated and simply missed by any casual observer. It's not a guarantee that it's the cause of your complaint, but it's common enough to give it a closer look.

I would also look underneath the steering wheel/dash area to see if your ECU is loose and rattling against the dash or a bracket. Mine was a little loose and needed to be tightened up a bit, although it never rattled.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts