Smart Car of America Forum banner

2017 Smart Car Gas - Battery replacement

27K views 45 replies 25 participants last post by  1983JZR3W 
#1 ·
I have owned 2 Smart cars (2008, 2017). I changed the battery out 2x on the 2008, but the 2017....They moved the battery to under the front hood and it appears that you have to remove some vent cowling to get it out. Plus, the fancy EFB battery which can supposedly be replaced with a AGM is rare. The dealer does not have this. Checking out all the auto dealers and battery people, they stop the offer of the battery options at 2016. So has anyone replaced the battery with an AGM and is removing the cowling area the only concern. No Youtube videos out there on this either. (except the dorky one where for 15 secs, they take the front hood off and point at the location of the battery - thanks Einstein) Right now I have a 3000 lb paper weight outside. Only 1 vendor appears to offer a AGM of that size and terminals location, but concerned to make a move before I know I am committed.

#39 ·
From 2016 and newer with Air vents you need to remove the left side vent assembly in order to remove and replace the battery. This guys Smart car does not have a upper vent assembly blocking the battery removal in this video. It would be nice if someone would make a video showing removing the upper air vent assembly removal as part of the battery replacement procedure. Thank goodness the later pictorial post shows a step by step process in the vents removal process needed in order to replace the battery. I copied the pictorial step-by-step post and added it to my 2016's owner's manual for battery removal/replacement reference.

#3 ·
Awesome. Thank you so much. I did not think the battery would slide out in the small space. I swear it looks smaller in real life than on the video, but I was comparing a picture to the video and it matches of course. I have ordered a new battery (OEM), but I may try and see if a AGM battery upgrade is available of a comparable size.

SO...now I just have to find a new battery
OEM = Fiamm 12V - L2 EFB 60Ah 510 (EN)

I thought I found a AGM the other day but now I can't find it.....still searching.....Thanks, KJ

#4 ·
Update. It appears that the video from Germany above is a Smart car without A/C ducting. Looking down at the battery, you can barely see 1/3rd of it on my car compared to the full battery of the video. Only 5 inches, so no other choice. I plan on trying to remove the ducting using the Torq screws it looks like.

#6 ·
OK. I have replaced my 2017 Gas Smart Car Battery. It completely died after midnight when it set off the alarm and would not shutoff. I finally got it stop, but could not lock the doors electronically. Anyway...
Per the internet you can use an AGM battery (as an upgrade to the EFB battery.)
New Battery = Duracell Platinum AGM Size 47 (H5) - At Autozone and others. I got mine at Sams Club.

Here is what you have to do. (see pictures below)
01. Remove the front hood.

02. Pull the weather seal strip off the edge. Mine had sticky tact, but not glue on it. (Right Green circle above)
Stop when you get to the right green circle area where the vent cover has a split
03. Use 2 different sized Torx screw drivers and remove the Torx screws in the red circles.
04. Slide and remove the form insert at the end of grill area (yellow circle above on the left).
05. Using a flat blade screw driver pop and pliars to remove the 2 push snap plastic connectors in the left green circles.
06. At the top of the right red circle there is a small slot above the Torx screw hole. Use the flat screw driver and slide it into this slot to the left. This popped the plastic grill off and able to remove the top piece.
New picture

07. Using a Size 10 Metric wrench with an 5 inch extension, unscrew the 2 bolts in yellow circles above.
They are over 2 inches long.
08. In the blue circle above, there is a foam rubber tube with split finger ends that will slide out when you remove the bottom part of this grill.
09. The bottom part of the grill can now be pulled toward you. It has some guidepoints on the bottom to align it when you put it back. Move this to the side.
10. The battery is now exposed to remove it.
11. The negative terminal above uses a #10 size metric that you can barely reach it under the electric wire, but you can take it off and move it to the side.
12. Remove the red cover over the positive terminal
New picture

13. remove the 2 nuts on the top of the positive terminal above (yellow circle)
14. I would cover the positive terminal harness with tape since it is hard to keep it from falling over.
15. In the red circle is a LARGE Torx screw bolt clamping the battery down to the base of the battery holder.
16. My largest Torx was too small. I had to use a large 15 inch long flat blade screw driver to get this out.
17. The battery is now able to be removed.
18. Remove the mounting bracket from the top of the old battery positive terminal with a #10 metric.
19. Take the mounting bracket in step 18 and put it on the new battery positive terminal.
20. Next, I took the clamp from step 15 and put it in BEFORE the battery. I only turned it a few turns.
21. Place the new battery in leaning/slanting it toward you so the lip of battery goes under the clamp.
22. Tighten down the clamp for the battery base.
23. I removed the tape from the positive terminal harness and reconnected the nuts from step 13.
24. return the red rubber cover to the positive terminal.
25. Re-connect the negative terminal with the #10 Metric
26. I tested the battery at this point. Car started up fine. lock/unlock.
Reverse the steps to close out the replacement.
27. Bottom part of grill - Reverse actions on Steps 9, 8, 7
28. Top part of grill - Reverse actions on Steps 5 - be careful, do not use a hammer. very close to glass on 1
29. Reverse actions on Steps 4, 3, 2, 1 - YOUR DONE!

#13 ·
OK. I have replaced my 2017 Gas Smart Car Battery. It completely died after midnight when it set off the alarm and would not shutoff. I finally got it stop, but could not lock the doors electronically. Anyway...
Per the internet you can use an AGM battery (as an upgrade to the EFB battery.)
New Battery = Duracell Platinum AGM Size 47 (H5) - At Autozone and others. I got mine at Sams Club.

Here is what you have to do. (see pictures below)
01. Remove the front hood.
View attachment 64768

02. Pull the weather seal strip off the edge. Mine had sticky tact, but not glue on it. (Right Green circle above)
Stop when you get to the right green circle area where the vent cover has a split
03. Use 2 different sized Torx screw drivers and remove the Torx screws in the red circles.
04. Slide and remove the form insert at the end of grill area (yellow circle above on the left).
05. Using a flat blade screw driver pop and pliars to remove the 2 push snap plastic connectors in the left green circles.
06. At the top of the right red circle there is a small slot above the Torx screw hole. Use the flat screw driver and slide it into this slot to the left. This popped the plastic grill off and able to remove the top piece.
New picture

View attachment 64769

07. Using a Size 10 Metric wrench with an 5 inch extension, unscrew the 2 bolts in yellow circles above.
They are over 2 inches long.
08. In the blue circle above, there is a foam rubber tube with split finger ends that will slide out when you remove the bottom part of this grill.
09. The bottom part of the grill can now be pulled toward you. It has some guidepoints on the bottom to align it when you put it back. Move this to the side.
10. The battery is now exposed to remove it.
11. The negative terminal above uses a #10 size metric that you can barely reach it under the electric wire, but you can take it off and move it to the side.
12. Remove the red cover over the positive terminal
New picture
View attachment 64770
13. remove the 2 nuts on the top of the positive terminal above (yellow circle)
14. I would cover the positive terminal harness with tape since it is hard to keep it from falling over.
15. In the red circle is a LARGE Torx screw bolt clamping the battery down to the base of the battery holder.
16. My largest Torx was too small. I had to use a large 15 inch long flat blade screw driver to get this out.
17. The battery is now able to be removed.
18. Remove the mounting bracket from the top of the old battery positive terminal with a #10 metric.
19. Take the mounting bracket in step 18 and put it on the new battery positive terminal.
20. Next, I took the clamp from step 15 and put it in BEFORE the battery. I only turned it a few turns.
21. Place the new battery in leaning/slanting it toward you so the lip of battery goes under the clamp.
22. Tighten down the clamp for the battery base.
23. I removed the tape from the positive terminal harness and reconnected the nuts from step 13.
24. return the red rubber cover to the positive terminal.
25. Re-connect the negative terminal with the #10 Metric
26. I tested the battery at this point. Car started up fine. lock/unlock.
Reverse the steps to close out the replacement.
27. Bottom part of grill - Reverse actions on Steps 9, 8, 7
28. Top part of grill - Reverse actions on Steps 5 - be careful, do not use a hammer. very close to glass on 1
29. Reverse actions on Steps 4, 3, 2, 1 - YOUR DONE!
Thank you so much for posting!! I wish you would have video the change for YouTube since there isn't anything help on there!! MUCH APPRECIATED!!

#9 · (Edited)
#10 ·
Kevin, I notice that you have the same battery, p/n 453-982-02-00, on your 2017 ICE smart as I do on my 2017 ED smart.

I have found out by calling and email communication with Connecticut Mercedes-Benz of Fairfield, that the online catalog links are in error, and the ICE engine should take the p/n 453-982-00-08 battery, which is a bit less expensive.

You can confirm the correct battery by calling and asking your M/B parts counter guy the correct part for your car. Once you have the correct battery, it may be cheaper to order the part online than from the parts counter at the dealership.

The email to me stated "Will note this error. The online catalog is managed by an outside source with pulls data from our system. How often they update it against our own catalog I am not sure of. But it will definitely be noted. Thank you."

And thanks for posting how to remove the battery. I had given up when I noticed to that the battery couldn't simply be lifted out, but your instructions have given me hope. (y)

Moderators: Maybe the sticky can be linked to the ED section of the forum too, so other 453 ED owners can find it?

#28 ·
Kevin, I notice that you have the same battery, p/n 453-982-02-00, on your 2017 ICE smart as I do on my 2017 ED smart.

I have found out by calling and email communication with Connecticut Mercedes-Benz of Fairfield, that the online catalog links are in error, and the ICE engine should take the p/n 453-982-00-08 battery, which is a bit less expensive.

You can confirm the correct battery by calling and asking your M/B parts counter guy the correct part for your car. Once you have the correct battery, it may be cheaper to order the part online than from the parts counter at the dealership.

The email to me stated "Will note this error. The online catalog is managed by an outside source with pulls data from our system. How often they update it against our own catalog I am not sure of. But it will definitely be noted. Thank you."

And thanks for posting how to remove the battery. I had given up when I noticed to that the battery couldn't simply be lifted out, but your instructions have given me hope. (y)

Moderators: Maybe the sticky can be linked to the ED section of the forum too, so other 453 ED owners can find it?
What’s the difference in the ICE and the ED engines….and how would I determine what I’ve got….

Thanks….

#18 ·
@Kevin Jones - I owe you big for this one - your step by step instructions were on point. I had some trouble getting the deep torx nut out of the bottom bracket that holds the battery in place. I was finally able to get a socket on it with the extension. Otherwise I followed your detailed instructions to a t and it was smooth. It's unbelievable how hard they make it to remove these. I ended up getting a 3 year guaranteed AGM battery from advanced auto parts, so I'm hoping I don't have to do this again. I feel a deep debt to you cause I was scratching my head for a while looking for this and there are some posts on these forums that are absolutely useless. Thanks
!

#22 ·
Hi how you doing guys?
I just replace my battery in 453 16' because battery was checked and diagonosed to be raplaced and i still have a battery red light on my dash saying go to dealer. I checked alternator voltage on scanner and its giving good voltage. What i have to do to get rid of it?
Font Material property Automotive tire Receipt Pattern

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.