Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today with a 60% battery two things happened to my 2017 smart ED with a little over 1000 Miles on it. 1st while parked outside a grocery store, a red message appeared in my dash ‘turn off the car now!’. I should have taken a picture of it but I was concerned so I turned the smart off. Looked up the manual found nothing about this, tried to turn the car back on which it did with no other signs of trouble.

I drove my wife to another store, watching for any signs of trouble, all seemed good. While at the second store, a new message appeared ‘malfunction visit workshop’ as per the attached screen shot.

I called the dealer, they asked if the car would start, it did, I drove it home (about 1 mile) and was told to bring it to the dealer first thing in the morning or have it towed if the error message is still showing. After I restarted it, the message is gone.

In the owners manual, it says that we should never leave the car for prolonged periods of time without being charged, my dealer told me that even leaving the car for 2 weeks could cause the battery problems. Have any of you heard this?

I mention that because the car was at the Halifax port of entry from June to October, 5 months without being charged, then I took possession of it. Is it possible that the battery has been damaged by that? Also, we are in a pretty deep freeze here these past few days, maybe the battery is suffering a failure of some type because of Halifax and the cold spell putting a strain on the battery? I’ve read where dealers needed to replaced a battery, can anyone share their experiences about this. Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
What was the state of charge when it sat for 5 months? If it was under 20% then yes that can definitely effect the battery. Deep freezing temperatures could also effect it. There's also a chance it could be a manufacturing defect.

·
Registered
922 Posts
What was the state of charge when it sat for 5 months? If it was under 20% then yes that can definitely effect the battery. Deep freezing temperatures could also effect it. There's also a chance it could be a manufacturing defect.
Totally agree with this. Storing a lithium chemistry battery when nearing or at full discharge is damaging to it.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I spoke to the dealer about this, they said the soc when they get theses cars is usually very low, they then charge them right away.

Unless this is just some sort of broken thing, my bets are on a battery that sat around too long with low charge.

The other odd thing is that the soc yesterday was 60% after having driven it for 34 klms. I use a chargepoint L2 charger which tells me the kWh of recharge along with the estimated kilometres put back in. The kilometres usually match pretty close with what I actually consumed. But yesterday’s charge was crazy, it said the kilometres put back in was 66 yet the kWh put back in were only 10.5. When I first started to drive, it gave me a range of approx 72 kilometres so getting 66 replenished was way too much. Just strange.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Definitely very interested in any of the diagnostic info that the dealer can provide. It certainly seems odd.

For our 451 ED the car has never really sat below 20% for any length of time. We've definitely left it charged for more than two weeks with no apparent impact.

What has impacted the total battery capacity is using 60% twice a day and charging to full. After four years we appear to be down 3-4 percent. Which is inline with what I've read about other EV battery behaviour.

Generally lithium ion batteries are shipped partially charged (40-60%) for most devices. This, at least anecdotally, is the best place for long term storage of the battery.

Good luck, hope its all easily resolved.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I provided the photo to my smart dealership, they’ve never seen this before but won’t get to putting it on a machine until Monday so my car is at the dealership. The interesting thing is the salesperson told me that when the car was delivered, the next day the car wouldn’t start, the battery was dead. It’s then that they charged it up. So it’s goimg to be interesting when they review the trouble codes on Monday. I’ll get back to you all then.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,782 Posts
In the owners manual, it says that we should never leave the car for prolonged periods of time without being charged, my dealer told me that even leaving the car for 2 weeks could cause the battery problems. Have any of you heard this?

I mention that because the car was at the Halifax port of entry from June to October, 5 months without being charged, then I took possession of it. Is it possible that the battery has been damaged by that? Also, we are in a pretty deep freeze here these past few days, maybe the battery is suffering a failure of some type because of Halifax and the cold spell putting a strain on the battery? I’ve read where dealers needed to replaced a battery, can anyone share their experiences about this.
This may have been the contributing factor? As you have suggested, from The Owner's Manual . . .

Discharged high-voltage battery
When the high-voltage battery is completely discharged, the drive system is switched off. This protects the battery from exhaustive discharge.

By switching the ignition off and on again, the drive system can be briefly
reactivated once. This allows you to park the vehicle safely.
Do not allow your vehicle to remain stationary for more than 14 days with a discharged, or nearly discharged, high-voltage battery. You can check the charge level with the charge level gauge.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
One would think that they would ship the car at at least a 50% SOC - this is good for battery life and the car can sit for at least a several months at this SOC without problems as long as it is not exposed to temperatures of -20C or lower for more than a few days. The self-discharge is very low and the control syatem, or an accessory left on, would only drain the 12V accessory battery, not the traction battery.

If the battery was dead upon arrival at the dealer, then it is almost certainly toast. Someone screwed up at the Smart factory.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok folks, just got my smart back. The dealer said that all there were was old fault codes, no recent faults recorded. They call Mercedes technical support and they told the dealer to clear the codes and give the car back to the customer. They said if it happens again, to take more photos and bring it back.

The receipt they gave me listed the fault codes that they said were old, all 12 of them, does anyone know what the following codes mean?

P044196
P060192
P030687
P030587
U019887
P086196
P080429
P086429
P084529
P084629
P030E62
P086829

The receipt continues to read ‘will need to perform battery isolation test. Safety equipment not available at this time. Cleared fault and road test, ok.’

This test was performed 3 times with the same fault codes recorded.

I drove the car home with no problems, but I feel confident that these problems will reoccur. My brother in law works at the dealership as the parts manager, he said that if the motor was a problem, he can’t even order one.

I’m hoping someone here on this forum might help with getting an interpretation of these fault codes so that I can understand what was or was not done at delivery.

Thanks.

Terry

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got an error similar to this on my one-year old 2018 Smart EV. I had just charged it to full and drove it about 50 meters to another parking spot and I got a red error message 'Battery Malfunction Visit Workshop' after turning off the car. I tried to turn it back on a few times but got same message until after about a minute when error seemed to have cleared itself.

I'm wondering how your issue was resolved and if anyone has thoughts on my situation?

Thanks,
Jerry

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’ve not had this problem repeat itself yet, so I can’t offer and solution to the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks. Sounds like it's just a one off error and so far hasn't happened again. From what I read on another thread, if it does reappear it can be cleared by just waiting a few minutes and/or locking and unlocking the doors to reset.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My car had a code situation just before and after I bought it, took 3 dealers all together only the 3rd determined the HV battery was at fault. I got a new HV battery out of it.
My weird problem showed up as no start many times, and if ac was turned on no start at all.
Since new battery never and issue.

Then recently had a new stuation of no start, there was wire scuffing of wire harness, car did not see key turned on.
They found 1 wire no 12v showing up on other end, was repaired and insulated, other users have seen this same issue on diff wire, same harness.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts