Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I took possession of my smart in late October, 2017. Love the car, it meets all my expectations so far. Getting around 145km's (90 miles) in October when it was warmer (22c or 72f), now today I'm getting more like 125km's (78 miles) now that it's cooler (-20c or -4f), so all is still good since I only drive it in the city.

Here's where my concerns are - before ordering and purchasing the car, I searched the web and reviewed 'reviews' like mad - excited to learn all I could about this great car. One of the features that I like best was the smart control app which lets you remotely review the current charge, set the climate control amongst many other features. So I asked my dealership for my VVC code. I entered the code in the app along with my vin but kept getting a VVC error message.

So I went to the dealership where they offered very little assistance. I did confirm the VCC number and so I proceeded to contact MB directly. Here's what they had to say...

'...in regards to the Vehicle Homepage Portal for the smart, please note that this portal will no longer function as of January 2018. Please note that this portal relies on 2G data transfer. Rogers, the last provider offering 2G in Canada, will end its offering at the end of this year. As such, this portal will no longer be functional, which is why no new VVC codes are being accepted.'

So the smart control app won't work for me and anyone currently using the app won't be able to after January 2018. When I contact MB again, they advised me that even the very expensive 2018 E class, which allows the owner to summon their car and a bunch of remote Tesla like features, will not work after January 2018. When I asked what the replacement would be, I'm told there's discussions taking place but no short term solution.

So I have no way to remotely control or view my smart which is a real bummer since it's one feature that I was looking forward to.

I think this might just apply to Canada has anyone heard anything about the USA?

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Hi Folks,

I took possession of my smart in late October, 2017. Love the car, it meets all my expectations so far. Getting around 145km's (90 miles) in October when it was warmer (22c or 72f), now today I'm getting more like 125km's (78 miles) now that it's cooler (-20c or -4f), so all is still good since I only drive it in the city.

Here's where my concerns are - before ordering and purchasing the car, I searched the web and reviewed 'reviews' like mad - excited to learn all I could about this great car. One of the features that I like best was the smart control app which lets you remotely review the current charge, set the climate control amongst many other features. So I asked my dealership for my VVC code. I entered the code in the app along with my vin but kept getting a VVC error message.

So I went to the dealership where they offered very little assistance. I did confirm the VCC number and so I proceeded to contact MB directly. Here's what they had to say...

'...in regards to the Vehicle Homepage Portal for the smart, please note that this portal will no longer function as of January 2018. Please note that this portal relies on 2G data transfer. Rogers, the last provider offering 2G in Canada, will end its offering at the end of this year. As such, this portal will no longer be functional, which is why no new VVC codes are being accepted.'

So the smart control app won't work for me and anyone currently using the app won't be able to after January 2018. When I contact MB again, they advised me that even the very expensive 2018 E class, which allows the owner to summon their car and a bunch of remote Tesla like features, will not work after January 2018. When I asked what the replacement would be, I'm told there's discussions taking place but no short term solution.

So I have no way to remotely control or view my smart which is a real bummer since it's one feature that I was looking forward to.

I think this might just apply to Canada has anyone heard anything about the USA?

Cheers.
VVC does not function for the smart 453 ED's in America. It's over.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mister_smart_LA for your response. Do you know if there's anything planned as a replacement? This appears to effect even MB expensive cars. Our new smarts won't be so 'smart' without any remote access..

Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,782 Posts
VVC does not function for the smart 453 ED's in America. It's over.
And this would suggest that it will soon be dead for 451 ED! :eek:

"...in regards to the Vehicle Homepage Portal for the smart, please note that this portal will no longer function as of January 2018. Please note that this portal relies on 2G data transfer."

While understanding that 2G is a dinosaur, others (Nissan) have already transitioned to 3G. Perhaps this is yet another clue as to the direction the brand is taking?

Things that make you go WTH?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi MB DNA,

My understanding is that this also applies to even MB expensive cars like their 2018 E Class, not just smarts. While in the dealership yesterday, a person was asking a salesperson about the E Class, the sales person just returned from training in Montreal where they learned that the autonomous features such as their butler service, where the car comes to you autonomously does not work because of the 2G issue.

Hopefully, because it affects their flagship products, MB will find a global solution. Heck, I'd be happy if I could just set it using wifi in my house to garage.. Maybe they should consider that as a possibility..

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Thanks Mister_smart_LA for your response. Do you know if there's anything planned as a replacement? This appears to effect even MB expensive cars. Our new smarts won't be so 'smart' without any remote access..

Cheers.
There is some work in progress on a new system, but it may take upwards of a year to be ready. In the meantime, I recommend a networked Level 2 charger that has its own app and uses your household Wifi.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
"...now today I'm getting more like 125km's (78 miles) now that it's cooler (-20c or -4f)..."

It's currently -20C in Ottawa? Getting 125 km would be an accomplishment at -20C.

The environment Canada weather site is reporting a temperature of -6C in Ottawa right now, with a forecast low of -12 (which will break the current record low for this date) tonight.

I'll look forward to your reports later in the winter about how it does when it is really -20C...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Yinzer, yup, this morning when I took it out of the garage the windshield factor (according to the radio personality) was -20c, the ambient temperature was overnight -19c, -6c in my garage, setting new records for the time of year.

Today it's actually warming up as it will tonight to -12c. The new 2017 Smart has the 'Winter' package, not sure if all the smarts in the past had this option. This provides extra insulation for the cabin and battery.

Today, when I started the car this morning on a full charge, the estimated range read 125kms. Doesn't mean I'll get that, but it's where the car started from. As of this writing, my latest numbers are driven 25kms, remaining range 89 or a total of 114. I just do city driving, so nothing more than 85 kilometres per hour. I drive with the heater on, my seat heater and steering wheel heater on plus the radio. My current average consumption over 3 weeks has been 1.23 kilometres for each 1 % of battery which is pretty good, better than I initially expected. My average efficiency is 93%. Today was the cold test for the car and I was impressed with the results so far.

Cheers.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Bah, that really stinks. This was a feature I was looking forward to, despite how buggy and inconsistent people said it was.

Oh well. I guess I haven't lived with it yet, so nothing lost from the last car.

·
Registered
922 Posts
This is a feature that we rely on all the time. It has worked consistently since we got our ED in June, and I will complain loudly and often when/if this service disappears in January.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are correct, I stated ‘ambient’, but should have said ‘feels like’ in my threads.

Here’s the point I drove my smart car in ‘feels like’ temperatures of -20c according to the radio station, with results that I think were beyond my expectations.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is a feature that we rely on all the time. It has worked consistently since we got our ED in June, and I will complain loudly and often when/if this service disappears in January.
Hi InjuredAgain, I can’t imagine a design team that continued to use a 2g network device in 2017, not just for our smarts but even an E class. Who uses 2g devices anymore? Mercedes!

Means I can’t remotely check anything.

My at home charger is chargepoint and works well, it has an app but the app doesn’t convey the state of my battery, it just reports the state of charge ie charging or not charging along with duration.

What I want the control app for is to pre heat the car on these cold winter days - now I can’t do that easily. I’d have to preset it. Instead I would have liked being able to decide that I’m leaving the house in 10 minutes so I’ll pre heat the car.

Cheers.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Hi InjuredAgain, I can’t imagine a design team that continued to use a 2g network device in 2017, not just for our smarts but even an E class. Who uses 2g devices anymore? Mercedes!

Means I can’t remotely check anything.

My at home charger is chargepoint and works well, it has an app but the app doesn’t convey the state of my battery, it just reports the state of charge ie charging or not charging along with duration.

What I want the control app for is to pre heat the car on these cold winter days - now I can’t do that easily. I’d have to preset it. Instead I would have liked being able to decide that I’m leaving the house in 10 minutes so I’ll pre heat the car.

Cheers.
Spent it, I could never get the remotely activated climate control to work. Only way was to preset it using the stalk control and then it worked flawlessly.

But my wife and I rely on the app extensively. Just earlier today when we were out, we had to decide and tell someone if we could make a side trip to their place, and a deciding factor was if we had enough juice for the extra 30 miles. Pop open the app and we knew. Otherwise, we would have had to wait until we got back to the car, which would have made timing difficult for who we were visiting.

German car companies have a reputation for engineering. I don't think using 2G in this day and age is a good sign of that.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Hmmm. Ford replaced the 2G unit in my wife’s ‘13 C-MAX Energi with a 3G unit absolutely free, already. Wow, Mercedes is the most prevalent brand in the household, but seems to be behind in the times.......

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a Ford Focus Electric until recently, and in January 2017 the MyFordMobile features stopped working when AT&T's 2G data service was discontinued in my area (Washington State). It had been discontinued in other parts of the USA in preceding months, and I'm not aware of any service provider who runs a 2G data service in the USA today.

Ford did offer a 3G modem upgrade under warranty; I never got it on my car, and returned it at the end of the lease.

Verizon and T-Mobile both still offer 2G service in some parts of the USA and have delayed their shutdowns until 2019 and 2020, respectively. It would not surprise me of Mercedes and Smart use T-Mobile, as it is a subsidary of Deutsche Telekom.

I was thinking about this issue when shopping for my Smart ED, and figured "it must have 3G, if the system is still working".

InjuredAgain confirms that it's working in our region, but this information from Smart about no longer accepting new vehicle validation codes and simply abandoning their connected vehicle app in 2018 suggests that it might indeed by a 2G system, and that the manufacturer is simply abandoning the feature.

It's definitely a disappointment that in an era where auto companies chant the word "connected" more often than "autonomous", that Mercedes would simply abandon their early adopters of telematics.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I don't know what is available for actual Mercedes vehicles but in today's world, I can't imagine good customer relations if this feature were to stop working for those Mercedes owners who take advantage of it. And as of right now, it is still working so the 2G network must still be operational, somehow.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts

So what's the issue?
Woah. It doesn't take 7 minutes to fill the "gas tank" in an ED. This is an important feature.....

·
Registered
462 Posts
Update: I got a VVC from my dealer for my 2017 smart ED (US), and was able to successfully register and connect. I'm waiting for the first sync to occur but it sounds like it'll be able to function just fine.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts