Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, now just a few days after having my 12 engine faults and the dealer not knowing what that problem was, my smart today had a 'Power Steering Failure' as the attached image shows. So I brought it to the dealer (it was drivable, harder to turn but still able to) where it sits right now.

I drove it originally while the steering was working for about 5 miles, parked it for about 30 minutes. Started it and when I tried to turn left or right the error message was displayed and the power steering was no longer functioning.

It's -20 celsius here last night, don't know if that's a factor, it's stored in my garage which was around -8 overnight.

Hoping they'll solve this issue quickly..

Cheers,

Terry.

Attachments

·
Registered
907 Posts
That's a shame.
Maybe now that the Holiday's are over, you can get this problem resolved.
Anyone else have the same problem in the bitter cold?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes. The 2014 model I had previously didn't give me this problem. My lease was up and I just got a 2017 model on Friday, Dec 29. I drove 150 miles or so without any issues. Over the weekend, I got the warning light. The temp had dropped to the single digits here (Fahrenheit) and I wondered if that had anything to do with it. The local dealer isn't open until Jan 8, so I guess I'll just have to be careful until then. I can steer, but it's sluggish.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi smdias65,

Well, I feel really bad for you, only 150 Miles. These cars are historically pretty reliable so let’s hope these are just ‘built on a friday’ kinda Thing. Maybe this is a problem with the 2017s?

My dealer is still waiting for a testing part from Mercedes, without it, they can’t even test for what the problem is. Then they have to fix my steering so who knows how long all this will take.

This hasn’t discouraged me too much, still love the car but I hope this is the end to early problems.

Cheers.

·
Registered
907 Posts
2017 STEERING RECALL
Just to make sure you know. I hadn't seen this posted before.
Does not specify ICE or ED
2017 Smart Fortwo Recalls
There have been 1 safety recalls issued from NHTSA.

STEERING recall date: 07/13/2017
Summary: Mercedes-Benz USA LLC. (MBUSA) is recalling certain 2017 smart fortwo and smart fortwo Cabriolet vehicles. Casting imperfections may result in the failure of the left front axle steering knuckle.
Potential Number of Units Affected: 110
Consequence: Failure of the left front axle steering knuckle could affect vehicle control, increasing the risk of a crash.
Remedy: MBUSA will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the left front axle steering knuckle, replacing any from the affected batch, free of charge. The recall October 13, 2017. Owners may contact smart customer service at 1-877-496-3691.
Dates of Manufacture: MAR 26, 2017 to JUN 05, 2017
NHTSA Campaign ID: 17V447000

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well folks, I've heard back from my dealer. They said that the part they've ordered which is just to test for the problem, it's not the solution to the problem, is not available in Canada and had to be ordered from Germany. The ETA is unknown. So they've had my car for 8 days and they have no idea how long it will take before the part arrives. It's apparently a part that permits the tech guy to connect to the smart safely. Then they hope to understand what the problem is and deal with it.

They basically said 'don't call us, we'll call you' kind of thing since I was following up every 3 days. Up to this point, they kept telling me the part is arriving tomorrow.

Sounds to me as if it's going to be a very long wait... Very disappointing since it's brand new of course.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all. In the past week, I've gotten the warning message one other time (out of the maybe ten times I've driven it) since last Sunday. The other times have been fine. I took it to the service center at the dealership today; they were unable to tell me for sure what the problem was. The power steering knuckle is the correct one. They suspect, as did I, that it has something to do with the cold temperatures we've been having (causing a bad connection). They also upgraded the software, which may have been a factor. It has since warmed up here, but winter is far from over. They said that if it happens again, let them know. I do still love the car; hopefully I won't have any more problems.

·
Registered
292 Posts
fwiw,

We had our 451 ED out on Saturday for a trip in -23C weather. 28 km each way with no steering problems. Knock on wood...

In the 451 the steering is essentially the same as the ICE version. I'd assume that the 453 is the same.

·
Super Moderator
1,570 Posts
The 451 ED has power steering standard unlike the ICE.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 14,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 3,000 miles

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,768 Posts
NY. My 2016 is literally falling apart with 2186 miles on it.
For lack of details . . . :shrug:

This was posted under MY17 ED topic - is yours a MY16 451 ED?

As it is under warranty, is it at the smart Center for repair?

·
Registered
907 Posts
@;

Here are the details from another post of his.

I have two thousand miles on my 2016.

I took a highway trip yesterday. The rubber on the driver’s side post has slide down leaving a gap.

The wind noise was irritating. There doesn’t seem to be a way to slide it into place.

I went through a no brush car wash last week. All there was, soap and a rain type rinse.

The blower at the end of the wash blew one of the windshield wiper plastic housings off.

I was able to retrieve it and another tiny plastic piece in the windshield well.

For anyone interested, there is a 2015 Smart Electric with 2000 miles. All white. 11,000$ at Flagship, contact Flagship - Herb Chambers Cars in MA. Dan Fava.

It sounded great but MB is discontinuing Battery assurance soon. I didn’t want to take the chance.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well, it’s been over 2 weeks that the cars been in the shop, actually it’s not in the shop, it’s sitting in the parking lot at the shop. They still have no ETA except at least I now know that the part they’re waiting for are a pair of gloves of some type so that they can test the cars electrical system. After 2 weeks and 1 day, they gave me a car rental. While I have a car now, they have no idea how long this will all take.

·
Banned
214 Posts

I’m a bit confused. The message center tells me I’m due for the 8000 mile checkup even though I received the message at 2000 miles.

2016 Smart for two, it has several names, ? one option step above steel wheels. 2200 miles.

Inspection due in Feb. No service centers within a twelve hour trip, to and from not including service time.

I read the post, waiting for “gloves” post and although I don’t like any other car, I am starting to feel I made a huge mistake.

Meanwhile, there is a scraping sound coming from the front right when using the brakes.

The rear brakes on one side are making the frozen brake sound sound because of the cold weather in mid state New York.

Also, a sound, like something is loose when turning a corner at any speed.

I really don’t like the shape or styling of any cars out there now.

I also read a post for more information on the Smart EQ. Just going by my experience, if MB treats an auto car, just call a cab, the same way it released the existing, the EQ is a pipe dream.

Maybe the generation laze will embrace it but I don’t see anyone as lazy enough to hand their lives over to a computer. Driving wise. At least from my old, old generation.

·
Banned
214 Posts
Smart, not so .....

I’m a bit confused. The message center tells me I’m due for the 8000 mile checkup even though I received the message at 2000 miles.

2016 Smart for two, it has several names, ? one option step above steel wheels. 2200 miles.

Inspection due in Feb. No service centers within a twelve hour trip, to and from not including service time.

I read the post, waiting for “gloves” post and although I don’t like any other car, I am starting to feel I made a huge mistake.

Meanwhile, there is a scraping sound coming from the front right when using the brakes.

The rear brakes on one side are making the frozen brake sound because of the cold weather in mid state New York.

Also, a sound, like something is loose when turning a corner at any speed.

I really don’t like the shape or styling of any cars out there now.

I also read a post for more information on the Smart EQ. Just going by my experience, if MB treats an auto car, just call a cab, the same way it released the existing, the EQ is a pipe dream.

Maybe the generation laze will embrace it but I don’t see anyone as lazy enough to hand their lives over to a computer. Driving wise. At least from my old, old generation.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,768 Posts
I?m a bit confused. The message center tells me I?m due for the 8000 mile checkup even though I received the message at 2000 miles.

Inspection due in Feb. No service centers within a twelve hour trip, to and from not including service time
And your MY16 smart is a 451 ED or ICE?

"Inspection due in Feb" - STATE safety inspection?

Maintenance Minder is miles and months (12) driven, whichever comes first. Perhaps yours was not reset at delivery?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's the latest update on my broken 2017 ED

It's now been close to a month since my steering broke on my 2017 Smart ED. The dealer has been keeping me up to date once every 3 days as to what's next which has been good. The bad news is that they're no closer to solving the issue. They're now saying that their 'computer system isn't talking to the car' and the car in fact may have broken their computer system, whatever that means. They don't want to get 'technical' as they put it.

Their latest ETA is no ETA - no clue. They're getting some guru from Mercedes to help deal with this but that wheel is slow to turn - very frustrating.

The dealer last week told me that 'we want the car out of here as much as you want the car, we're doing all we can' and I believe them it's just the 2017 is not like the previous versions of the smart (that's what they told me) from a computer connection point of view.

So they've given me a fully loaded B250 as a loaner at no cost so at least we're somewhat comfortable. We are of course paying premium gas now which is exactly what we didn't want which is why we bought our smart ED to begin with but at least the car will help us to wait a while longer.

The interesting side bit came from the senior mechanic working on the car - he said that the steering was affected by the extreme cold - a mechanical switch became frozen that once the car came in the shop, it thawed and the steering resumed. The problems came when they tried to reset the code, then all hell broke loose. When I asked more about this mechanical part, he became more vague. I know of lots of friends who have the 2017 ED here who have not had any problems with the cold, so I have no idea what to believe yet.

Will keep you all informed as this thing progresses, I just hope it's resolved before too long because a month is already long enough.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
2017 STEERING RECALL
Just to make sure you know. I hadn't seen this posted before.
Does not specify ICE or ED
2017 Smart Fortwo Recalls
There have been 1 safety recalls issued from NHTSA.

STEERING recall date: 07/13/2017
Summary: Mercedes-Benz USA LLC. (MBUSA) is recalling certain 2017 smart fortwo and smart fortwo Cabriolet vehicles. Casting imperfections may result in the failure of the left front axle steering knuckle.
Potential Number of Units Affected: 110
Consequence: Failure of the left front axle steering knuckle could affect vehicle control, increasing the risk of a crash.
Remedy: MBUSA will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the left front axle steering knuckle, replacing any from the affected batch, free of charge. The recall October 13, 2017. Owners may contact smart customer service at 1-877-496-3691.
Dates of Manufacture: MAR 26, 2017 to JUN 05, 2017
NHTSA Campaign ID: 17V447000
The steering knuckle is the front suspension component that the car's wheel is attached to. It has nothing to do with the power steering.

·
Banned
214 Posts
I have a 2016, 2300 miles, paid off lease with two years remaining.

I'm getting all sorts of pop ups. Malfunction, tire pressure compromised, correct tire pressure service check up due in three days, etc.

I am twelve hours round trip from the nearest service center, not including whether or not it can be fixed.

My rear right tire has to be filled twice a day. I tried the only fix a user can do. Replace the insides of the valve stem. It didn’t work. In it’s current condition, the locking brakes and tire makes me unwilling to take a trip.

I also received a warning about rims. If there is any damage to any of them, it’s on me.

There is no one here capable of not going at it with a crowbar. I then called the Service Center. Patrick was really helpful. I told him all the above plus the pads closing on the discs and freezing to them. Also, the back brakes freezing to the drums.

It started out great. He would pick up the car, truck it to the nearest service center, I would have to pick it up. Do I get a loaner? Maybe. He said he would call me back and mentioned he was willing to give but I did do.

I said, I would up to the point of coming up with money for a 2018 to finish off the lease. Mine is gas, all that are in stock anywhere are electrics. It would have to be shipped. I said I’m willing to bend.

Two deals fell through prior to this. So, with all the problems encountered at 2300 miles I mentioned that I didn’t think it would make it to lease end.

He said they could also pick it up since the lease was paid off. I remarked that it was good he was being so flexible. He told me that he would contact a dealer to set something up and present the options. He said he would call back within two days. I didn’t think that would happen. I imagine it would be complex or as simple as just doing it at the right figure.

So, I’ll wait until tues and either call back or try another tact. The thought of renting a car every time I go to neighboring towns finally hit me. It was then that the reality of owning or leasing an electric was an impossibility without owning two cars.

My final thought to Patrick, nice guy all the way, was the offer to fix the tire in the driveway. I said we are at the same circle. All you will find are third parties with a crowbar to damage the wheel. He saw that.

I told them what I had invisioned was a sort of MB swat team that comes out for any purpose, even to a jump start to protect the product. I also have an inspection coming up next month.

I remembered the post where the Smart was being held at a garage and they couldn’t figure out what was wrong, thank you for posting that. It seems to be a situation where I have to have all done in one swoop otherwise I would be waiting for a fix a long time.

He said not to pay attention to the service warning. At least that was a comfort.

Inspection, I will have to get some kind of release to have someone fix a flat making me not responsible for damage.

Thank you again for the post on the wait.

It made me carefully consider all I could think of. How they can stay in business without service centers is beyond me. Maybe a niche kit car for enthusiasts would be a good way to go. As far as having one without service was not a problem when I leased it.

No big deal for me. I just wanted to encourage anybody thinking in the direction I went to think about a flat. I did not use the kit. It creates many problems and potential danger. Also a max speed of 50 on a highway.

I know how leasing is. Two really bad experiences in the past. Always remember that if you are not a mechanic, there is a lot to consider when problems occur. Otherwise, I love the car and would find it difficult to drive any other vehicle.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts