Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to throw this out and get some feedback. As of January, 2018, smart will have 10 years in the US. Seems like it would be appropriate to celebrate that with some sort of event (or series of events), involving smart USA as well as dealerships and owners. The next Nationals is not due until 2019 but it should be possible to come up with something appropriate given the time remaining.

Any thoughts/recommendations/WAGs? :)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
If SmartUSA would offer to become a sponsor, we may be able to get Jimmy to do a Jam on the Dam III & combine that with a 10 years in the US anniversary for smart.

·
Artz-smart
62 Posts
I'm thinking multiple events around the country. :)
The Geographic Center of the United States (contiguous 48) is located about two miles northwest of Lebanon, Kansas. Take US Highway 281 north 1 mile, and turn west one mile on K-191 to the maker that has been erected at the end of the paved road.

·
Super Moderator
29,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pretty much why the first smart Nationals was held in KC. However, we've learned the hard way that events in single locations result in lower overall participation. :)

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,972 Posts
Have there been any further discussions about 10 yr anniversary events? Since Mercedes is discontinuing the gasoline Smart 4-2's I'm wondering if they would sponsor anything.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The Geographic Center of the United States (contiguous 48) is located about two miles northwest of Lebanon, Kansas. Take US Highway 281 north 1 mile, and turn west one mile on K-191 to the maker that has been erected at the end of the paved road.
That may be the case but the official center of the world is located in Felicity California about 8 miles outside of Yuma Az. :D

Official Center of the World, Felicity, California

Sorry I couldn't resist>:D

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I sincerely doubt that the Mother ship will sponsor any 10 year anniversary celebrations for smart in the US. Due to the dismal sales numbers, what would be in it for them? I hope I am wrong as I would like nothing better then to celebrate 10 years of smart in the US, but since they will no longer offer the ICE smart in the US, this has kind of taken a lot of the enthusiasm for the brand away. I hope that the ED version of the 453 will be a sales success. We will just have to wait & see. It is a shame that the ICE smart was not embraced by more buyers in the US, which I am sure would have saved this version for the US.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,972 Posts
Which was the ice smart? Smart and the Mother Ship needed to have done more advertising, they really didn't try real hard to sell the smart in the U.S. and billing it as a city car was a big mistake, it is far more than just a city car.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
From what I have been told, the Mothership looks at the cost of advertising versus the number of increased sales that would be a result of their direct advertising. The way they saw it, the sales numbers were not going to happen in sufficient numbers and the advertising campaign would end up being a financial loss. I too, would have liked them to advertise and promote the brand more as well as hanging in there a little longer with the ICE powered 453. Bottom line is that the smart was never a financial success & was just a means for keeping their CAFE averages where they should be to sell more profitable vehicles in the US.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,786 Posts
Party on Dude . . .

As of January, 2018, smart will have 10 years in the US. Seems like it would be appropriate to celebrate that with some sort of event (or series of events), involving smart USA as well as dealerships and owners.

Any thoughts/recommendations/WAGs? :)
SWAG - we don't know who is in charge at smartUSA and there is no budget for an ICE or ED smart 10 Year Anniversary Celebration?

Sadly (most) local smart Centers are in demise (as is smartusainsider.com) and don't know whether to celebrate or hold a wake for their low/no margin ugly stepchild used to allow them to sell HIGH MARGIN/GAS GUZZLING M-B's.

Obviously, smart has an opportunity to exploit their ICE to ED change of direction by celebrating the release/arrival of their ALL NEW MY17/18 453 ED. Targeting those CARB cities with higher density of ED 451 sales, smart might fund and support partying like their next 10 years in N.A. could be pivotal to the smart brand?

Absent that, for those smart communities that still have an enthusiast network - how about a "pop up" Anniversary Party?

Pick a time/place at or near your Center and party on Dude . . . :spots:

Missing in action? Probably shouldn't expect to see Mark Webster, General Manager of smart USA at your party . . .

Attachments

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,186 Posts
Golly!
Ten years of being the bas**** red-headed stepchildren of Mercedes-Benz. Their reward to us is dropping the ICE which will ultimately and unavoidably kill off the brand entirely. Wait until you need service. You thought it was hard to find a dealer before . . . .
Forgive my sarcasm, if you will, but that's how I see it. I love my three smarts and will likely drive them as long as I can maintain them, but the shine is gone from the 'smart' apple.

P.S. I value the friends and aquaintences that I've made through the smart events over the years and wouldn't trade them for anything.

OMG - I'm sounding kinda like Larry!

·
Registered
935 Posts
If SmartUSA would offer to become a sponsor, we may be able to get Jimmy to do a Jam on the Dam III & combine that with a 10 years in the US anniversary for smart.
Living in Las Vegas I was at Jam on the Dam ll. It was quite a sight. I was driving a 2008 Yellow & Black Cabriolet., now owned by Ms Hobbs.
I don't think we will ever see another "smart" Jam on the Dam success like 2.
As far as contacting Jimmy for a Jam on the Dam lll,
I don't know if Jimmy is even driving a smart or lives in Las Vegas any more, he hasn't been on this site since 12/16/2014
There are no longer any smart dealers in southern Nevada. Our only dealer Fletcher Jones imports stopped selling new smarts months ago.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts