Smart Car of America Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Hi guys, I am one of the first 2008 smart owners, and I have had 3 smarts at one time. Now, I have only 2 left after an ex-neighbor bought one off me. I am still using my 3rd, a 2009 Passion, for my 150-mile work commute which is twice a week.

-wahi

·
Registered
15 Posts
We also bought our first Smart car in 2008 - ordered it out of the Alexandria, Virginia dealership that closed a few years ago. It was yellow-black Passion model, fully loaded, and except for the transmission, I liked it. My wife was the main driver of that car and it allowed me to park two Harley-Davidson motorcycles in front of it within the garage. Anyway, we also bought a 2015 red Smart car (Passion basic model) for our daughter and that's currently at our house since she is now living in Philadelphia where you pay $200 a month to park your car. She doesn't need a car right now so I am driving her car at least once a week when I do my cat rescue activities. Finally, we traded in that yellow 2008 Smart car for the 2016 Smart Car (Edition 1) which is white-orange and has the sweet turbo and six-speed transmission. I really like that car. We even had heated seats installed, so it's nice and warm in the winter time up here in Northern Virginia.

Today I am washing / waxing our daughter's 2015 Smart car, as she is coming down for a visit this weekend. Took about 2.5 hours to complete. Now it's time for a glass of wine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Boy, the forum doesn't like the hash symbol, which I was trying to use for Edition 1 in my previous post. Why so many loops to jump through here?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks JW. I believe I was a member of the forum a while ago, but I couldn't remember my user name or password. Anyway, I'm back in now. I'm also hosting a wine forum on my home domain, and that's a first for me to support a forum structure. So far it's going well. I did that because a previous wine forum was getting hit with spam on a daily basis and I got tired of deleting the spam. The administrator there was non-existent. I have much tighter control on my forum (called Wine Lovers Forum) because you can only get in by invitation and I can delete any account if someone gets out of hand. I'm still learning of course but it's been fun.

So, back to Smart cars. Our daughter's car was in for it's 40K mile service about a year ago, and soon afterwards, it stopped running right in an intersection. Turns out the mechanic forgot to tighten a coolant hose and the engine lost it's coolant and over-heated. Our daughter was on her way to work and had to have it towed home. The Smart dealership (Tyson's Corner, Virginia) took some time taking the engine apart before declaring it a total engine loss, and they replaced the engine. Our daughter had a loner car for about 1.5 months (another 2016 Smart in opposite colors as our 2016 model). She got her 2015 Smart car back and it's been fine with the new engine. I'm kind of afraid to take it back in for any additional servicing, if you know what I mean...

I've attached a picture taken back in April 2017 of the two 2016 Smart Cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
I found a picture of my wife Sandra's 2008 Smart Car, taken back in February 2008. I loved to park it sideways on the driveway to make the neighbors wonder about us...

The other thing about the 2008 model that I didn't like was the charging system. We soon found that the battery could go dead in the winter time if the car sits too long in the garage (found out in about 2010); I initially replaced the battery (loads of fun getting it out of the floorboard) but when the second one was drained, I did some research and found that the charging system isn't really up to the job and there was some parasitic discharge paths (auto windshield wipers, etc.) that would drain the battery over time. There wasn't much to do except put a charger on it a few times in subsequent winters. I was much happier with the 2016 Smart Car and it's battery being relocated under the hood.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I found a picture of my wife Sandra's 2008 Smart Car, taken back in February 2008. I loved to park it sideways on the driveway to make the neighbors wonder about us...

The other thing about the 2008 model that I didn't like was the charging system. We soon found that the battery could go dead in the winter time if the car sits too long in the garage (found out in about 2010); I initially replaced the battery (loads of fun getting it out of the floorboard) but when the second one was drained, I did some research and found that the charging system isn't really up to the job and there was some parasitic discharge paths (auto windshield wipers, etc.) that would drain the battery over time. There wasn't much to do except put a charger on it a few times in subsequent winters. I was much happier with the 2016 Smart Car and it's battery being relocated under the hood.
I always disconnect the battery during winter. I only use my Smart's (2 of them) in summer time...
Greets, Gerhard

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

·
Banned
6 Posts
I sincerely doubt that the Mother ship will sponsor any 10 year anniversary celebrations for smart in the US. Due to the dismal sales numbers, what would be in it for them? I hope I am wrong as I would like nothing better then to celebrate 10 years of smart in the US, but since they will no longer offer the ICE smart in the US, this has kind of taken a lot of the enthusiasm for the brand away. I hope that the ED version of the 453 will be a sales success. We will just have to wait & see. It is a shame that the ICE smart was not embraced by more buyers in the US, which I am sure would have saved this version for the US.
The next Nationals is not due until 2019 but it should be possible to come up with something appropriate given the time remaining.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well here in the UK as of this year 2020 we can now join you lot in the USA and Canada as no longer having any new gas/petrol powered 453 Fortwos or Forfours to buy, as the production of them is now finished at the factory.

All that is available now in Europe and UK is the EQ version (all electric), not good, if you do not like electric, (overpriced and lack of range per charge) so it is an end of an era. I have had Smart cars since 2003 and will not be buying an electric car, so its the end of Smarts for me. I hope my petrol 453 Fortwo Cabrio which in bought new in April last year, keeps good for a long time.

The all new 2022 electric Smart will be built in China, not sure what it will look like or what price it will be, or what the range of it shall have, but sales will be expected to be way down by restricting themselves to electric only. Pity!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes, very sad to the end of ICE powered smart cars world wide. Many of the former smart centers will, unfortunately, discontinue to service smart cars. Hopefully, parts will continue to be available & independent repair shops will service & repair our smart cars.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I hope you are correct. If we are lucky, smart cars will become collectible like Crosleys & Metropolitans. Let's just hope that the Mothership will keep supplying parts & hopefully service, but the later is a long shot. This would be a great opportunity for companies like Smartmadness to offer complete smart car service & repair at both of their locations.

·
Registered
34 Posts
In the UK we are guaranteed original parts for the next 10 years on the 453 Fortwo and Forfour after production by law from the manufacturer. During and after this period the design of parts can be given to third parties to make cloned components. Not sure about your law in USA and Canada regarding car parts after end of production, but assume will be similar. Plus there is always scrapped cars to get components.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts