Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new 2018 453 Smart ForTwo coupe. Neat car.

I'm now trying to figure out whether it's possible to hardwire a radar detector and, if so, how. The detector I have is a Radenso Pro M, and I'd like to mount it to the windshield with the windshield mount that came with it.

I'm trying to figure out where to get power? Maybe from the courtesy lights above the windshield? Somewhere else? What's the best way to get the hardwire to the fuse box?

I sure would appreciate any help.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
You can use these cool devices to just add a circuit off the fuse block. They plug in to the fuse blade holder and create another power supply. Then just ground it to anything nearby. You may also be able to tap into the dome light.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks much, Joe, I just ordered these. I also ordered the hard wire kit, but now I need to figure out to run the cable from the windshield, around the dash (I guess), and into the back of the glove box to get to the fuse box. Got any great suggestions on that? Thanks!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
So you could pop the trim off to run the wire up the A pillar or tap into the dome light power. Not sure if there is a constant +12 up there but there should be since you can turn on the dome light whenever. The next issue would be if you tap to constant power then you gotta make sure to turn off the detector or you'll have a dead battery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you end-up tapping into the dome light, I would suggest using Posi-tap wire taps. I use these on my other cars and work great for tapping wires. If you decide to return to stock, just unscrew and there is a pinhole that won't be noticeable. They seem a bit expensive for what they are (my opinion), however well worth the price and ease of use. Only place I've been able to order is amazon. Not including link there as don't want potential for folks to think I'm shilling or get whatever the credit thing is for linking product.

Link to mfr website:
https://www.posi-products.com/posiplug.html

·
Registered
300 Posts
This Olphart is happy enough to crawl along in the slow-lane now...:cool:
My Bride and I enjoy the smiles and thumbs-up that we get: as folks pass by our "Little Bug"!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts