Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey There, My 2018 ED alarm keeps going off randomly. Rather annoying to my neighbors (4 times last night). Recent service included a software update, and I noticed that now when I lock it, it makes a chirp, where before the service update I just heard the locks engaging. Seems connected to me; or could it be the 12 volt battery is getting old? It's original from 2018.
Thanks!

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks; although the Mercedes dealers in the DC area shun Smart Cars. I have used Euro Motor Cars in Bethesda where there is one service guy who does a good job. I'll check with him, but also looking at a long past thread, I'll first check to make sure my tailgate is closed properly without any obstructions. I rarely open it and usually access everything in there from the top window. It would be nice if it were such a simple solution....hope springs eternal :)

· Registered
2018 Prime ED Blue with White Cell
61 Posts
Hey There, My 2018 ED alarm keeps going off randomly. Rather annoying to my neighbors (4 times last night). Recent service included a software update, and I noticed that now when I lock it, it makes a chirp, where before the service update I just heard the locks engaging. Seems connected to me; or could it be the 12 volt battery is getting old? It's original from 2018.
Thanks!
My 2018 has just started doing the same thing. But, I just noticed that on mine, it seems to happen when it dosen't chirp when I lock it. It has always chirped when being locked but just recently it sometimes does not. I think it is related but not sure. I can't take it to a dealer bcause there is none anywhere near me. I'm on my own.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 2018 has just started doing the same thing. But, I just noticed that on mine, it seems to happen when it dosen't chirp when I lock it. It has always chirped when being locked but just recently it sometimes does not. I think it is related but not sure. I can't take it to a dealer bcause there is none anywhere near me. I'm on my own.
So I found a ten year old thread here that gave me a few ideas. One of which seems to be working: the tailgate had been closed on the handle of a bag, right in the latch. I removed that and anything else that could be interfering with the signal that the tailgate was ajar. I locked the car up and so far no alarms have gone off. It's been several hours, so I'm optimistic. Will report back if that changes. The thread from 10 years ago had several suggestions, most of which wouldn't apply to a 2018 ED, but maybe read through it.
Thanks all...

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I found a ten year old thread here that gave me a few ideas. One of which seems to be working: the tailgate had been closed on the handle of a bag, right in the latch. I removed that and anything else that could be interfering with the signal that the tailgate was ajar. I locked the car up and so far no alarms have gone off. It's been several hours, so I'm optimistic. Will report back if that changes. The thread from 10 years ago had several suggestions, most of which wouldn't apply to a 2018 ED, but maybe read through it.
Thanks all...
Update: Alarm problem has not reoccurred since clearing the area around the tailgate. Easiest fix ever! Hope yours is easy too...

· Registered
2019 Smart Fortwo EQ
6 Posts
My car had the same issue - it was very annoying. The part number is 0009981323 . You just put it on the little button right under the hood, the Evilution page shows the exact location. Even since I put that on, I haven't had a problem since.

· Registered
2018 Prime ED Blue with White Cell
61 Posts
Thanks all...
Thanks,
Mine has gotten much worse lately. It dosent seem to matter if it chirps or not. It goes off at work all the time and people have to tell me. Its embarrassing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts