Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next Gen Nissan LEAF Spotted: Dash Displays 265 km/165 Miles Of Range

It was only a matter of time.

Thanks to a keen-eyed Nissan LEAF driver in France – Nicolas Dufresne, we have the first real confirmation of some of the abilities of the next generation LEAF, which is set to debut on September 5th.

Nicolas shared more than a few photos with the Facebook group LEAF France Café, which you can also check out below, but the most interesting one out of the gate is this revelation via the 2018 LEAF’s instrumentation cluster – which seems to be indicating 265 km of range, or 165 miles.
:)

Next Gen Nissan LEAF Spotted: Dash Displays 265 km/165 Miles Of Range

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Saw that yesterday. It's a worse-than-expected jump in range. Score one for the Bolt, which travels almost one-third (73 miles) farther per charge.

·
Registered
663 Posts
It's true Steve. Angela and I were seriously considering the Bolt until we took one for a test drive (twice). We ended up buying a 2016 Leaf with the 30 KWH battery. We get half the range of the bolt but just feel it has a much more refined drive. It just seems everything fits nicer. Definetly quieter. Seats are more comfortable. Honestly it's like the only thing on the get it right list was the battery size and range. Definetly not enough for us to pick it over the leaf not to mention it costs 12 grand more. The Bolt is quicker but at 55 years old that's not a determining factor for us. We get around 200 km range with our leaf. We rarely but occasionally make a 340 km trip. The extra 25 to 30 minutes at a fast charger 2 or 3 times a year is fine with us. Steve we are just two people in a sea of opinions and yes we know people who bought and really like their Bolt. I personally hope you go for a test drive and report back your findings as I find your take on things quite often refreshing and non biased. If you have the time go for a drive and tell us what you think.

Cheers and safe travels.

J and A

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
As an aside, the Honda Civic Hybrid our office uses is losing its IMA battery as time progresses. We had a CEL and it is terminal although we can nurse it for a while. The car is under 10 years old with 83,500 km. Battery part cost in Canada is $6000. The car will probably be scrapped for the $6000 scrappage fee the BC government offers, which is more than a HCH with duff battery is worth on the market. A sad end to a subpar car.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Great firsthand feedback on both the Bolt and Leaf, and I wouldn't disagree on any point.

Let me clarify that I didn't mean to imply that the Leaf is inferior to the Bolt, except regarding range. The Bolt has become the standard-bearer for range in the sub-Tesla price range. I think the next-gen Leaf will be perceptually penalized for only managing to deliver two-thirds of the Bolt's range, regardless of how good it proves to be otherwise.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I fully agree with the perceptually disadvantaged comment. I suspect there are a ton of people that think they need more range, and I mean double the range that they actually need. Bigger is better. And if it's in the budget why not I suppose. For us we were definetly influenced by our budget but the bolt was definetly not a good fit for us from many other aspects as well.

On another aside, when we retire in 5 years we will probably trade in the leaf and the ED for something new. But I would rate charge speed over battery size. Eg. A 300 km range and 15 minute charge time. But that's just me. :)

·
Registered
883 Posts
Battery technology is advancing - thanks to Tesla breaking the barrier of low efficient batteries. I watched a few YouTube videos on how to build a Tesla Power Wall - interesting. Seems the key is the 18650 battery cell.

Sent from Tapatalk on Android

·
Registered
922 Posts
Future battery technology advancements are most likely to come from changes in battery composition. There are non-lithium based batteries in prototype form that have a few multiples of times the energy density and can also be charged and discharged both more quickly for more cycles and with less degradation. It may also be that the first step is replacing lithium with zinc, which seems like may happen in a production capacity within a few years. Other more significant changes may be a few more years out than that, and may potentially make current battery manufacturing facilities obsolete as they require different processes.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Watched a YouTube video of the Renault Zoe ZE 40 with a 41 kWh battery - conservative full charge range of 180 miles. Cool looking car.

Sent from Tapatalk on Android

1 - 14 of 14 Posts