Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
SMART RALLY AT THE GLEN 2018 IS THIS WEEKEND! SATURDAY, 8/25/18!

UPDATED SCHEDULE AS OF 8/20/18

We are now meeting at Gate #2 at 3:00pm (NOT Gate 3). Gate #2 is located off Route 16. The reason for this change is because there is better parking and rest rooms at Gate #2 . The track thought we would all appreciate that! I agree.

3:00pm - Meet and Great at Gate #2 , Watkins Glen International Raceway. This is a chance to meet everyone, talk about our cars and win some door prizes!

5:00pm - We will take to the track and rally around Watkins Glen International Raceway!

Due to the small town of Watkins Glen, NY. I could not find a place that could handle a large group of people for dinner. Maybe in the coming years, we can discuss renting a hall. That can be expensive, but I’m open to suggestions for the future. There are many restaurants in the area, so my hope is that many of us make new friends and enjoy dinner with each other after this years rally.

For those of you traveling a distance, there are many things to do in Wakins Glen before and after our event. I highly recommend Watkins Glen State Park, which is filled with water falls and a beautiful gorge. Montour Falls is also close by and another amazing place. The town of Watkins Glen sits at the lower end of Seneca Lake and is part of the Finger Lakes region of New York State. There are many things to do in the area and near the lake, from restaurants, to wine tasting. The finger lake region offers some of the best wineries in the country.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Thanks for the update . We will hang and enjoy as much as we can . We booked a room just south at Corning to tour the Corning glass factory on Sunday . We are looking forward to a nice long weekend of fun and driving our SMART .

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks for the update . We will hang and enjoy as much as we can . We booked a room just south at Corning to tour the Corning glass factory on Sunday . We are looking forward to a nice long weekend of fun and driving our SMART .
Corning Glass is awesome! Can't wait to meet you! We now have dinner plans added to the event. I'm posting and update now!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
We now have dinner plans! Seneca Lodge is happy to host our group!

So here is an updated schedule for this weekend:

3:00pm - 5:00pm: Meet at Gate #2 at Watkins Glen International Raceway. Meet other smart car drivers and have a chance to win some prizes.

5:00pm: Rally on Watkins Glen International. Drive our smart cars along the famous Watkins Glen International Raceway

7:00pm: Dinner at Seneca Lodge. Visit their website: Seneca Lodge ? Simple ? Rustic ? Charming

Sometimes it all comes together at the last minute! This is going to be a great year!!

·
Registered
643 Posts
We now have dinner plans! Seneca Lodge is happy to host our group!

So here is an updated schedule for this weekend:

3:00pm - 5:00pm: Meet at Gate #2 at Watkins Glen International Raceway. Meet other smart car drivers and have a chance to win some prizes.

5:00pm: Rally on Watkins Glen International. Drive our smart cars along the famous Watkins Glen International Raceway

7:00pm: Dinner at Seneca Lodge. Visit their website: Seneca Lodge ? Simple ? Rustic ? Charming

Sometimes it all comes together at the last minute! This is going to be a great year!!
Nothing like spontaneous happenings.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
FYI: Watkins Glen International Raceway is a NO DRONE ZONE! So don't fly a drone on the track property during our event.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
SMART RALLY AT THE GLEN 2018 HAPPENS TODAY!

SCHEDULE:

3:00-4:00: Meet at Gate 2 at Watkins Glen International Raceway. Get to know each other, talk about our cars and get some inexpensive small prizes.

4:00-4:30: Sign waivers to drive on the track. Anyone who did not prepay can pay the track directly at this time. The cost is $30 if you did not prepay.

5:00: Rally on the famous Watkins Glen International Raceway

6:00-7:00: Rally along the original Watkins Glen Grand Prix Course. This course has been turned into roads that wrap through the town of Watkins Glen, NY. I just received permission from the Watkins Glen Police Department, allowing us to stay together and rally through this original track!

7:00: Seneca Lodge, 3600 Walnut Rd, Watkins Glen, NY welcomes anyone from Smart Rally at the Glen, to meet for dinner.

·
Registered
733 Posts
What a Blast. Total Great Time Top Ten Day.

From the moment I mentally committed to this event every thing about My Smart was geared to the opportunity to drive it on the Watkins Glen Race Track.

So Saturday Morning 5AM left New York city and mapped out a path to to Watkins Glen that took me on every narrow, winding, twisting scenic road I could take. Got 20 miles from Watkins Glen stopped and Vacuumed the car, buffed up the shine, a little tire dressing some bug removal from the grille, set the tire pressure to 40psi all around then eased on into town.

I've been to the track for 2 Nascar events and one IMSA GT race, and now here I am ready to drive around the track with a wrecked Smart Car I nursed back together. Nice.

The Meet and Greet was nice as the Smarts lined up at gate 3. A grey 2008 with 98 thousand miles with a small trailer was the show stopper for me. Shod with 205/50 15s all around it was perfect. The 205/50 15s looked so much more muscular then the 195/40 17s all around the Harlem Edition. I must Make that change.

In the shadow of the Front stretch Grandstands with the high dollar Porsches' screaming around the track in the background, Some Chit Chatting, door prize and giveaways later the Pace Car showed up. We all signed the Pre-Nups agreed to the rules then lined up at the gate behind the Pace Car. Fantastic.

The Harlem Edition was rock solid and felt so at home on that track. I felt glued in every corner with the sticky 195/40 17 s drive Yokohama tires. What ever these tires are not on the street, they were an absolute beast on that smooth track surface. The paddle shifting practice I have been putting in and the fine tuning of my ankle to the engine sounds that has me driving in this cars power band really smooth on the highway paid off on that track. Down the front straight in forth down shift to 2nd hit the first right corner mash it as soon as you bite shift to 3rd and climb the Esses hill out of the last Esse in forth at the end of the short straight down to third for the right ,left, right. 4th gear Down hill into a left
2nd for the tightest corner as its up hill coming out of it. next right, left, left, right combo I float between 3rd and 4th. If i wasn't afraid to break it I would come through this section in 3rd.
exit last corner and dig down the Front stretch 3rd 4th 5th. Its down hill into the first corner with that speed momentum come out in 3rd and climb the hill.
trying to catch that outside rumble strip just to do it was sweet lol. The way the Smart was gripped in that corner made it no real reason to be out that far lol. Cherry ... two more laps to go.

Track Time for the Harlem Edition.... Wow, Thanks to every one. Now I will relive the day every time I see my Smart Rally at the Glen 2018 decals on my side rear windows.

After track time we caravanned back into town using the route of the Old Watkins Course couldn't have been happier as we passed a spanking yellow stripped up Lotus Elise headed the other way, Knowing He would have rather been in a Smart Car with us lol.

Parking at the Seneca Lodge amongst the High dollar Porsche machines that had been on the track before us was a good feeling also lol. As well as this day was going and couldn't get any better... we ordered our dinner and then the Blue Cheese Dressing hit my tongue. The best Blue Cheese Dressing I have ever had. I ordered Cocktail Shrimp, Calamari and a grilled Pork Chop. and I put blue cheese on everything lol. DELICIOUS! Great dinner conversation with new friends

The night time ride home under a big clear moon was Highway and straight forward it did require a 2 hour nap at a gas station about an hour and a half into the ride. I woke up refreshed and 3 hours later was back in the Big City. Tomorrow I have to see why my SUV would not start Friday but this last 24 hours is mine for ever. And the older I get the better this story is going to be lol.

next stop ..... Ann Arbor Michigan, October 13 2018 Smart Car Rally

21 - 40 of 57 Posts