Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My 2018 smart which i leased around last year has 3,700 miles on it, i just recently got the "Next service in 30 days" message, I called the stealership and they quoted me ~$200.

when i check KBB for maintenance schedule, it looks like the first service is nothing but checking things, and making sure things are running right, and replace the cabin filter, and windshield wiper.

Stealership said that's true but also they connect the battery to the computer and run diagnostics... <- anyone know what that is?

i really don't want to drop $200 + tax for stupid things like checking fluid levels, and replacing in cabin filter which i know how to do, but at the same time i dont want to miss on an important service check.

any advice, knowledge of the matter is much appreciated.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,084 Posts
For the Nissan LEAF there was a recommended annual battery check where they would run diagnostics on the battery and provide a health report. Nissan covered the first couple of these, but then you had to pay afterward. I think it was around $100 for the LEAF. So, sounds like something similar for the smart. If there's no issues with the battery, you'd be okay, but if something goes wrong later that would have been caught early with a recommended battery check, things could get unpleasant.

·
Registered
111 Posts
(soon to be) chinese secret :)

With the ignition turned to the first position, hold the OK button on the steering wheel for 30 seconds.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
(soon to be) chinese secret :)

With the ignition turned to the first position, hold the OK button on the steering wheel for 30 seconds.
Lmfaooooo i was laughing out loud when i saw this. i think that's what will end up happening too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the Nissan LEAF there was a recommended annual battery check where they would run diagnostics on the battery and provide a health report. Nissan covered the first couple of these, but then you had to pay afterward. I think it was around $100 for the LEAF. So, sounds like something similar for the smart. If there's no issues with the battery, you'd be okay, but if something goes wrong later that would have been caught early with a recommended battery check, things could get unpleasant.
Thanks for your input, sounds like i can skip the first one, and take it in for the second maintenance, the car barely has 4K miles. :S

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,084 Posts
Thanks for your input, sounds like i can skip the first one, and take it in for the second maintenance, the car barely has 4K miles. :S
Yeah, with that mileage and no warnings or anything odd going on, I'd be tempted to skip the initial as well!

·
Registered
2 Posts
You need to go in for them to honor the battery warranty (which you want considering how new the technology is). That's free.
When we got our ED checked, the Mercedes office guy didn't know how things work for the Smart EDs and said we needed to pay for the service. We can do the non-battery stuff ourselves. The guy behind him told him that the battery check was free.

·
Registered
195 Posts
This service is NOT just replacing fluids. You must run the battery down to 20%, then let it stand for two hours. Next you must fully charge the car and bring it to the dealership. Then the tech essentially deep charges the battery (think marine batteries). At that point you are good for another year with the EV battery. On top of this, they check the 12 volt battery to make sure it does not need replacement, so the EV battery does not 'brick'. When that is done the service record goes into the car's VMI history...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to close this thread out, called the stealership again and i was able to negotiate the price from $200 to $100 for the service. and so i thought i'd do it for $100.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All,

My 2018 smart which i leased around last year has 3,700 miles on it, i just recently got the "Next service in 30 days" message, I called the stealership and they quoted me ~$200.

when i check KBB for maintenance schedule, it looks like the first service is nothing but checking things, and making sure things are running right, and replace the cabin filter, and windshield wiper.

Stealership said that's true but also they connect the battery to the computer and run diagnostics... <- anyone know what that is?

i really don't want to drop $200 + tax for stupid things like checking fluid levels, and replacing in cabin filter which i know how to do, but at the same time i dont want to miss on an important service check.

any advice, knowledge of the matter is much appreciated.
You can get a diagnostic tool of your own for that much.ive got a 2008 with 110,00p miles on it and just ignored the service icon.chenge oil and filter.every 6000 miles. Pay attention to all fluid levels. Checking trans level may be a little involved though. Not worth 20p unless you are feeling a definite malfunction.the cabin filter is next to the gas pedal, acouple of snaps and it's out.jyst pay attention to direct arrows as you pull out the old one, place the new one in it's place. They are anywhere from 10 to 35 bux.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts