Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...as 2018 nears the voices in my head reminds me of the good and bad things that happened to us since we "voluntarily" checked in the asylum....so many things...the one that tops the list is the many friends we have made and grown to love...so many of you guys...
...one voice in particular keeps reminding me of a event that happened going up the Foothills Parkway in one of the many Dragon Runs...
...as we stop for a scenic photo op I decided to let MB DNA drive our car so he could see and feel the effects of a Barney Motor Sports hair dryer...no much was said as to how to...just keep it in 3rd gear...at the next stop...the very top of the parkway we exchanged cars and opinions...as I got in my car and closed the door I found an empty cup of a hot beverage...opened the door and walked back to his car and handed him his left over with "I let you drive my car for 10 minutes and you just trash it".... the look on his face and the laugh from his wife until this day are vivid in my head and is what made me write this thread up...
...I know that after ten years you guys have some stories to tell....post it...

Jetfuel....luvU Tom...

·
Banned
214 Posts
Driving my new lease Smart back home at night.

I drove home, six hours at night not knowing how to turn on the headlights. That meant no rear lights, I found out at a later point when an attendant ran across six lanes of incoming cars at a toll booth.

Oh', the interior dash lights were up to high position. It was a nice drive after that.

I thought NYC got worse since the last time I was there.

Turned out after screeching brakes from the rear and quick lane changes they were trying to communicate by hand signals of my black hole driving technique.

Happy New Year !

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
2008 is the year I bought my first Smart Fortwo. It was a Pure. Now I have a Passion. I have been driving a Smart for almost 10 years. I have enjoyed it every year. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,220 Posts
Been a long ride... 2008 I picked up a Pure off Ebay, previous owner purchased 2 cars and then lost his job Car had 23 miles on it and still had the plastic on the seats. After putting 17,000 miles on it, the wiring caught fire and smart replaced the car with a 2009 pure, identical to what I had. jump ahead 165,000 miles and car started to exhibit a miss which ended up as a burned valve. Car was sold and I purchased another 2008 Passion with a few problems. Been driving it ever since.

My original 2008 Pure was reported to now be in a warehouse in Germany so MB could find out why it caught on fire.

What a long strange trip it"s been...

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
My original 2008 Pure was reported to now be in a warehouse in Germany so MB could find out why it caught on fire.
I know that MB works in slow, mysterious ways but here's hoping that it doesn't take them 9 years to do their CSI on a toasted MY08 451?

·
Super Moderator
11,220 Posts
I heard about it being in Germany about 2 years after it caught on fire. I was told by someone from smart at the Kansas city national event. They determined it was a cold solder joint in the SAM unit

·
Registered
246 Posts
The 1st time I saw a Smart was on a tv commercial with 2 Japanese guys driving around and at the end of the commercial, they asked a question, 'Do you Wii?' I told my wife at that time I wanted one of them cars. Later on I was talking to a co-worker one day about the Smart (and at that time I still knew nothing about them), and how I wanted one but was unsure of how fast they went, I didn't want something that only went like '60' mph, he told me he was on Interstate 95 going about 70 and a Smart car passed him heading to Florida, could of been one of you guys heading that way, well I got more serious about it and finally bought one, it was billed as a red color but sure looked like orange to me, so far I've had 3 Smarts, my latest being a -09 Brabus model Cabrio and just love driving her.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I’m not one of the ‘08 adopters but I started reading about the proposed “City Car” years before the 1st gen 1998 was produced. If the 1st gen had been available in the U.S. from the start I would have had one. Because of retirement and moving and other commitments I didn’t get one until 2013 on a lease, knowing that there would be a new gen in a couple years. Almost three years later I bought my 2016 453 Passion and now I am 5 happy years into smart ownership. An ED smart probably won’t be in my future unless they are able to give at least 125 miles on a charge.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
I remember the winter of 07-08 snow birding in Fl and receiving the call from Smart Center Lynfield that Max, our 08 Cabroi) had reached the docks and should be in Boston later that month. Since we were recently retired my wife and I did a little soul searching… Buy another new car on our pensions (at the time we owned 4 others all but one convertibles). But at the time people were buying used ones or orphans for much more than sticker. So, we figured pay for him and turn a profit if we didn’t like him.

Well in early April we got the call Max was in Lynfield come on down….oh and bring the balance with you. My wife had something else to do so I jumped on a train from Maine and headed to Boston where I as met with a driver from the dealership at the train station in Boston for the ride to Lynfield.

A couple of hours later and Max was mine. The looks from others on I -95 and the Maine turnpike that cool day in April with the top down of course was priceless. He remained a member of the family until a couple of months ago when he was replaced by a 14 BoConcept Cabrrio. Love the 451’s but not so much love for the mother ship.

·
Registered
598 Posts
My wife and i hosted German exchange students for every year of both of our sons High School careers. They both took German for 4 years so we had a German student living with us for 3 weeks every spring. As part of the exchange program, our oldest son spent a summer in Germany in his senior year (youngest son got screwed out of his Germany trip because of 9/11). Son brought back pictures of smarts form Germany. Wife went crazy with want. When she found out they were coming to the US, that was all she wrote. Ordered a 2008 Passion (BJ). She drove BJ for 5 years. In the meantime, i picked up a "used" 2009 cabrio in 2010(IT HAD 50 MILES ON IT) Named it (BA) and drove it for 6 months. Decided to trade it in on a Kizashi when winter arrived.
After 5 years i made the wife trade BJ in on a Fiat 500(Bino) She liked Bino, but missed having a smart. In the meantime, i had leased a 2012 passion on the $139/mo lease special (Ditto) After dittos lease was up, i turned it back into the dealer and wife asked if i would take over driving Bino and get her another smart.
Soooo, after much hand wringing over colors and equipment(this was early 2015, the pickins were slim)I found her an unsold 2013 Iceshine edition at a dealer in NJ. For whatever reason, this particular Iceshine had black panels instead of White. I assumed the dealer did a panel swap but no one was able to confirm that. Anyway, the prospect of having a "one off" smart made her happy, and they gave me a smoking good deal on it so i bought it for her and had it shipped to us in PA. It just turned 31K miles and is her daily driver.
We met some great people over the years because of this little car. There used to be a fairly active club here at one tiime. We went to local meets and broke bread with like minded people and it was fun. We took BJ to local car cruises in the early days because there were so few smarts, it always drew a crowd. It still does make people smile and ask questions, as there still are not many smarts around. When i bought her the iceshine(Jerzee), i told her she could keep it as long as she wanted, and i would not force her to get rid of it. She shows no signs after 3 years of letting go. It turns 3 ion a month.
:D:D:D

·
17,351 Posts
I fell in love with smart in May 2008. My mum said that they were looking to get dad a new car and that we were going to check out these "smart cars". We arrived at smart center Lake Bluff and was greeted by a handsome Alan Janka. The love story from that point forward is history. I couldn't get over how Mercedes-Benz packed a real car into such a tiny size. I was blown away by the roomy interior, the clear roof, the ever so swappable panels, and the RR engine set up.

I proudly proclaimed at my Freshman high school lunch table that a smart was my dream car...and was promptly ridiculed for it. Everyone told me that a boy couldn't have a smart car, I had to get a Mustang or Camaro. I ignored them. Then finally 4 years after I first fell in love, I got my first smartie.

Heck, even when I got my first smart, I never expected myself getting a second, let alone third. I can't believe how influential my journey with smart has been to my life. I can't imagine me without smart. ♥ This is definitively my dream! ♥

Fast forward to today, I'm almost an entirely different person than who I was back then. Neonspinnazz is dead, long live Miss Mercedes! :x

·
Registered
246 Posts
Fast forward to today, I'm almost an entirely different person than who I was back then. Neonspinnazz is dead, long live Miss Mercedes! :x ............................................ I remember when Neon was posting on here before he could even get a Smart, even saw him on youtube defending the Smarts when everyone else was blasting our little cars, I enjoy your comments on here Miss Mercedes, be yourself...

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Planning this National event, in 2010. Gather 210 smart cars together, from Canada, Mexico, and across America. Will always be my memory of owning a little $14k car. Met, a lot of other smart car enthusiasts, and their love of this little vehicle. Thanks goes to Aristocrat smart motors, smart USA, vendors, like smart Madness. The others who chip in and made this large event possible. John, Andy, and Jeff. A year of my life went in planning it. It’s sad there will never be another event like this again.

·
17,351 Posts
Fast forward to today, I'm almost an entirely different person than who I was back then. Neonspinnazz is dead, long live Miss Mercedes! :x ............................................ I remember when Neon was posting on here before he could even get a Smart, even saw him on youtube defending the Smarts when everyone else was blasting our little cars, I enjoy your comments on here Miss Mercedes, be yourself...
Awe, thank you! <3

I still do that today, only it’s on Jalopnik instead! The YouTube comments section has turned into a cesspool of hate, it isn’t worth it anymore. :/

It’s still amazing how much misinformation floats around about these cars, even ten years later!

·
Super Moderator
11,220 Posts
smark, first event I convinced the wife to attend, and she almost crashed the car heading into K.C., when two non-smarts tried to occupy the same spot we were driving in. I even spotted my license plate in the picture above! At the hotel across from the main event hotel, we had power! Quite the event!!

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
smark, first event I convinced the wife to attend, and she almost crashed the car heading into K.C., when two non-smarts tried to occupy the same spot we were driving in. I even spotted my license plate in the picture above! At the hotel across from the main event hotel, we had power! Quite the event!!
I remember you left your multicolored umbrella at the crown center hotel banquet room. The hotel staff found it. I mailed it to you.

I curious of how folks, that attended the Nationals. Still own there smart cars. Even still interested in the brand anymore.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
...oh KC...
... while Barney O was installing bumpers and mud flaps in the back lot...my bride was helping Barney's bride at the BMS goodies table...I was taking friends for rides in the BMS hair dryer special....after several runs I went back to the back lot to check on Barney to make sure the old man didn't pass out from the heat...all of the sudden I hear a voice telling me...well...actually yelling at me " I can smell the burnt brakes all the way down the hall"....yep ...my bride came to talk to me...

Jetfuel....oh the memories...

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Oh the smart memories...

SCoA allowed us to make friends around the world.

And then OTD brought many of us together for some wild and crazy times with some very special smart owners...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts