Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We think we left our wipers on and now the wry is completely dead. I connected the charger but only the Power light comes on and is not transitioning to green. Is that normal? Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
1,380 Posts
The good news is that the car is still under warranty and hopefully your closest dealer isn't 1000 miles away.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 19,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 17,000 miles

·
Registered
40 Posts
Maybe you do not have a good charger, or is it a slow charger.
It should charge the battery eventually :)

Other option is to get a jump start, from another car using jump leads, then run the engine for a while to charge up.

Yet another option to borrow an instant power pack jump starter, then run the engine for a while to charge up....like shown below..

·
Registered
2019 ForTwo EQ coupe
1 Posts
Why do you think you left the wipers on? Is it because they were halfway up the windshield when you found the 12V battery dead?

I found a dead 12V battery 3 times. The first time I thought I must have left the headlights on, but now I doubt that since it happened twice again when I know I left nothing on. Each time, the wipers were out of their parked position and the hatchback was locked. Each time all was well after a jumpstart. It might be just coincidence, but each time I had plugged the car in to charge the HV battery overnight and left it plugged in for at least half the next day, well after the battery was charged to 100%.

I had the car in the shop twice. The first time they didn't find anything wrong (I doubt that they looked very hard). The second time was the next day; this time it appears that they might have fixed the problem. It hasn't happened again in 2-1/2 weeks. Here's what they had to say the second time:
zSnap_20-02-17,17_33_22.jpg

Jay
2019 EQ coupe, 4 months, 690 miles.

·
Registered
2019 Smart EQ
14 Posts
From discussion with my rep, this is a random issue on select 2019 cars, the solution that SMART of Boston has discovered is to roll-back firmware. I live down near Philly but called my rep after the first time this occurred. I jumped car (seems to be a false drained 12v). The wipers go from normal and then move around windshield as battery 'dies', also the horn beeps. I have not yet had time to take mine to local SMART repair facility for 'fix'. Todd (in Boston) said most SMART repair centers won't be aware fix for issue, his dealership is simply due to number of electrics they sold (and repaired).

Mine has now done this twice overnight and once in an afternoon when I left for just a few hours while plugged-in. Doesn't matter if using my level 2 or the charger that came with the car. First was around 100 miles, last was a week ago around 900 miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts