Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found plenty of stuff on the 10k service cost, but not much on the 20k, so I decided to start a thread on it. I'm currently waiting for my car to have this service done at Smart of San Francisco, and the price quoted was over $400. I know there is more to be done than in the 10k, but that still seems a bit steep to me. Not sure if the price has changed since they merged their service center with the Mercedes service center. At least I got a shuttle ride home to the other side of the city! :D

I'll post another update with the price paid and what they did once I get my car back.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
For $400 I'd want my but waxed too.

THe only difference between thew 10K and 20K is changing the air filter and replacing the brake fluid (if you realy think that is necessary) and replacing the batteries in your keys. You did bring both keys with you right?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I just had mine done in Omaha. I changed the oil before going so they didn't charge for that. It ended up being ~$250. Got a new battery and the 2.0 update at the same time.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I got my smart back ready to take me for another 10,000 miles of FUN! Here's the breakdown of what Mercedes of San Francisco charged. The services were those laid out in cheiftmc's link above.

Battery - 7.50
Air Filter - 18.69
Oil Filter - 12.60
Combo Filter - 39.88
Mobile 1 Esp - 6.95
Brake Fluid - 21.70

Hazardous Waste Disposal Fee - 1.64
Hazerdous Waste Disposal Fee - 2.02
---
Labor - 286.90
Parts - 128.17
Misc - 3.66
Tax - 12.18
Total - 430.91

It seems a lot for what they did, but I'd be interested in knowing how much other poeple paid for their 20k service at their smart centers so I can decide whether or not to keep going to Smart SF.

A couple of other observations now that they don't have a dedicated Smart service team/manager:

Good
-They washed the car - it is now spotless. They didn't do that before for me.
-I saw the guys and gals upstairs in Sales and they were as cool as ever.
-They gave me a lift to the other side of the city (though they did cringe a bit when they heard my address)

Not So Good
-I got there before they opened the gate, and was 2nd in line. When they opened the gate, there were 5 or 6 cars, 3 or 4 which where behind me. I was the only smart. When we all pulled up to the service podium, the reps all rushed to help . . . all the other cars who were behind me. I stood around for quite a while as they ushered Merc owners in and put all the plastic protectant stuff in everyone else's car, before a rep came to my aid. Apparently the brand of car you own matters more than your place in line.
-When Felipe was heading up the dedicated smart service desk, every time I would pick up my car from anything from a service to a warranty fix he would greet me (by name) and go over what they did. This time, I stood and waited while the service guy came back from his break--many other employees were around, but did not offer help. When the rep returned, he asked who I was (i was just in there dealing with him a few hours ago), and then pulled up my records and simply told me "your paperwork is ready at the checkout". I would have appreciated a walk through of what they had just done, and maybe any observations.
-I found out once I was out on the road that they had not fully closed the passenger door. I had to stop and re-close it.

In conclusion I think that since they got rid of their dedicated smart service desk, the level of personal service has definitely gone down there. However, bottom line is the price and the quality of the workmanship. I have confidence in the latter, but I'd be interested in hearing what other service centres are charging for the same thing, especially since the reason-to-buy (personal service) at SF is gone.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sry to hear about that experience, that's really not acceptable. I agree with you about the car issue, just cuz you own a benz doesn't give you superiority. I did find out that every dealer is different on there prices, we charge $285 for the 20k at Milwaukee smart.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I put a lot of miles on my Smart Car. I picked it up on February 28 and alrady have 22,000 miles on it. i took it to the dealer in Omaha for the 10,000, but I think I'll wait for at least a full year before I go in for that a__ reaming. I change my own oil and filters, and can noodle out 90% of what's on their checklist, the dealer said as long as I keep receipts and document everything the warranty(and extended warranty) will remain in place.

·
For sale pm for details
2,033 Posts
smart center tampa 316.00
And this is straight from what smartusa wants the dealer to charge for the service

·
Registered
56 Posts
Big Panda- I think it is the cabin filter... not sure if I need one since my top is rarely closed.
Air still travels through it whether its open or closed. If your curious on how it looks the filter is located to the right of the gas pedal, you'll see a flap with tabs on it.

·
Banned
5,086 Posts
Air still travels through it whether its open or closed. If your curious on how it looks the filter is located to the right of the gas pedal, you'll see a flap with tabs on it.
This is correct. The air that travels through your HEVAC system passed through this filter, to remove some of the dust and pollen that may be in your car.

Not sure what smart recommends, but I would replace it at least once a year! :)

·
Registered
946 Posts
Our Scion xB also has one of these (as did the car that we sold when we got the smart), and I recently replaced the filter myself before taking the xB in for some service work.

I half anticipated that I would be approached, midway through the wait for the alignment to be completed, and be told that the cabin air filter needed replacement. (This is a $50.00 job (part and labor), one that takes me less than five minutes to accomplish - how I wish I could somehow recover the money for the half hour of labor that the dealership would bill me for doing the same thing.) Nope. Apparently, the "courtesy inspection" during the service was actually that.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Do check your cabin filter even if you think you have not used it. Depending on your part of the country, some have found mold in the filter.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Smart says every 10k for the cabin filter. That seems a little too soon (depending on where your driving) expecially with the new charcoal one installed. The filter that comes from the factory I would definately replace at 20k though, its usually pretty dirty by then. Its only a cheap little paper one, the new one is a charcoal activated filter (aka a hepa filter).

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'll take a look at my filter... I suppose that rather than having less in there I might find more because of the top mostly being down...

You can change your own oil, etc... just keep all documentation.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Can you change your own oil and with out voiding the warranty?

Of course. I'm surprised that people still think this is an issue.

You, or any one else, can do all maintenance on the car, never go to a dealership, and the warranty will still be in effect.
The onus regarding the warranty is on the part of the manufacturer. Warranty is required by law. The time a warranty must be in effect is variable though and mostly at the discretion of the manufacturer. We all pay for these parts and manufacturing defect warranties, by the way, in the purchase prices of the vehicles. The dealership has nothing to do with warranty issues except to exact repairs when necessary. As long as you do not abuse your car, maintain it properly (it would be obvious if engine part failure was due to an oil issue which is rare unless oil is never changed), there will be no warranty issues. It's important that failure of a part be due to defects in material or manufacturing, and not due to misuse and abuse of the owner. In fact, if you never changed the oil, and a repair was required that had nothing to do with oil changes (the alternator for example), then the part at fault will have to be replaced under warranty.

Dealerships are fond of using scare tactics related to warranties because that influences owners to take the cars back for service. Obviously, with the exhorbitant prices being charged for simple and quick service, these maintenance services are very profitable for dealerships. Of course they have to turn a profit to stay in business but they are price gouging here, particularly for an inexpensive car such as the smart. One rationale for charging such high prices is that service is required only once a year or at long mileage intervals.

The dealership we bought the car from recently mailed out a flyer advertising what they do and their rate for routine service. They had a list of 42 items and a cost of about $200. That list was for a basic oil change and everything else was just a check list. A competent owner would be aware of almost everything listed anyway. A reasonable cost for that service should have been about $80-90. An owner could do the same service for a little more than half that figure.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts