Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's right, my local dealer quoted me $22.00 for a "Smart" oil filter, I'm thinking I would be pretty dumb to pay that much. On top of that I asked about touch up paint and he informed me that the factory doesn't offer any. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my little Smartie but this is crazy.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Smart Sugarland Texas quoted me $24 and did not even have one. I was near the Round Rock Texas Smart Center and Paul sold me some for $14 each. I will use them till the warranty expires.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
That's ridiculously priced!!

That's right, my local dealer quoted me $22.00 for a "Smart" oil filter, I'm thinking I would be pretty dumb to pay that much. On top of that I asked about touch up paint and he informed me that the factory doesn't offer any. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my little Smartie but this is crazy.
I got one for $15 in Feb when I bought the car and thought tht was alittle high but then it'll be on there for at least a year so not that bad....

·
Registered
334 Posts
Buckhead (Atlanta) was like $12 for the filter but its a standard Mitsubishi filter with a smart sticker on it. They even gave me the copper gasket for the drain plug. Looking for a better than Mitsu aftermarket filter via a friend in the parts business but will get them from the dealer in the meantime. While compared to my Explorer's Fram filter the smart one is pricey but its still better than a new engine later in life (I know I'm weird I keep cars for 8 or more years).

If you want to touch up the paint on the safety cell I overheard it as being standard Mercedes Black (so the silver might be std. Mercedes silver?).

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
That was a good deal, MS...

Buckhead (Atlanta) was like $12 for the filter but its a standard Mitsubishi filter with a smart sticker on it. They even gave me the copper gasket for the drain plug. Looking for a better than Mitsu aftermarket filter via a friend in the parts business but will get them from the dealer in the meantime. While compared to my Explorer's Fram filter the smart one is pricey but its still better than a new engine later in life (I know I'm weird I keep cars for 8 or more years).

If you want to touch up the paint on the safety cell I overheard it as being standard Mercedes Black (so the silver might be std. Mercedes silver?).
Do you have the old washer by anychance? If you do, can you tell me what the ID and the OD are so I can make some up? PS...I wouldn't compare any filter to a Fram....they are junk! JMHO....:rolleyes:

Thanks
John

·
Registered
334 Posts
Do you have the old washer by anychance? If you do, can you tell me what the ID and the OD are so I can make some up? PS...I wouldn't compare any filter to a Fram....they are junk! JMHO....:rolleyes:

Thanks
John
Haven't done the change yet the new one looks like a copper washer and why does it get changed everytime? I've only worked on Japanese and American cars (well there was that POS Volvo in college but that was mainly electrical work) and never changed the gasket/washer unless it was bad.

So if Fram is junk (I use the Tough Guard in the truck), what would you recommend? It's gotta be better than the Motorcraft one - they're in the business of making filters not producing cars as cheaply as possible.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I stopped in to buy a filter for my wife's '07 MINI Cooper S. As the parts guy handed it to me he said that will be $24.95. I explained to him I only needed one, not three. Surely that price must be for three?

That's alright. I stop by and drink their free Starbuck's coffee a couple of times a week. Sometimes they even have a doughnut. I'm getting even a little at a time.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts

It is powder coated not painted I got charged $30.11 for the same thing you got a bargain.
karl

1 - 14 of 14 Posts