Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First day owning the car. Having a blast, drove 75km with 25km left on the battery.

The sales person explained to me that the charger should have all 4 lights lit up (120v), which is why I can't use an extension cord.

I plugged the charger into the socked in my garage, the two big lights flashed, then the little ones flashed and only two went on. My Smart App shows that it will be fully charged in ... 24 hours (from 25%).

I'm confused.

How many KW does the charger charge at based on the lights?

How do I get the KWh to go increase for charging (without having to go 220v which I will sooner rather than later)?

If the regular charger is 3.3kw at 220v, and it takes double the time at 120v (so ... 1.7kw) and then mine takes almost double that, so ... 9kw? Does this mean that my kitchen kettle draws more power than the charger currently?

Thank you!

·
Registered
37 Posts
First day owning the car. Having a blast, drove 75km with 25km left on the battery.

The sales person explained to me that the charger should have all 4 lights lit up (120v), which is why I can't use an extension cord.

I plugged the charger into the socked in my garage, the two big lights flashed, then the little ones flashed and only two went on. My Smart App shows that it will be fully charged in ... 24 hours (from 25%).

I'm confused.

How many KW does the charger charge at based on the lights?

How do I get the KWh to go increase for charging (without having to go 220v which I will sooner rather than later)?

If the regular charger is 3.3kw at 220v, and it takes double the time at 120v (so ... 1.7kw) and then mine takes almost double that, so ... 9kw? Does this mean that my kitchen kettle draws more power than the charger currently?

Thank you!
You need to press the button on the charger to engage fast charge. Four lights will be on steady. My experience is 8 hours to charge from 20%

·
Registered
646 Posts
A lot of folks here use an extension cord with the factory-supplied charger. If you do, make sure that it is 12 or 10 gauge (heavy duty) and don't get one longer than 25 feet. I keep one in my car for emergencies...

The default on the factory charger is 8 amps, two lights show. Push the button and you get 12 amp charging, four lights show. If you are tripping the breaker in your house with the 12 amp setting, you will have to go back to the 8 amp setting until you can find a more dedicated circuit that doesn't trip the breaker at 12 amps.

For instance, you might have a refrigerator on the same circuit that pulls 10 amps when the compressor kicks on. If the breaker is only rated for 20 amps, the fridge and the charger together will pull 22 amps and kick off the breaker. Use a different circuit or have an electrician see if the breaker can be upgraded based on the wiring that leads to it.

It's all on pages 112 and 113 in your owners manual (except the part about the extension cord).

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
A lot of folks here use an extension cord with the factory-supplied charger. If you do, make sure that it is 12 or 10 gauge (heavy duty) and don't get one longer than 25 feet. I keep one in my car for emergencies...

The default on the factory charger is 8 amps, two lights show. Push the button and you get 12 amp charging, four lights show. If you are tripping the breaker in your house with the 12 amp setting, you will have to go back to the 8 amp setting until you can find a more dedicated circuit that doesn't trip the breaker at 12 amps.

For instance, you might have a refrigerator on the same circuit that pulls 10 amps when the compressor kicks on. If the breaker is only rated for 20 amps, the fridge and the charger together will pull 22 amps and kick off the breaker. Use a different circuit or have an electrician see if the breaker can be upgraded based on the wiring that leads to it.

It's all on pages 112 and 113 in your owners manual (except the part about the extension cord).
Because I'm affiliated with a dealership I cannot in good conscience recommend an extension cord. However, this man's got it.^ :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

This is the answer I was looking for, thank you!

·
Registered
646 Posts
By the way, if you leave the charger plugged into the wall socket and disconnect it at your car, the next time you plug it back into your car it will keep the setting from the last time you used it.

If you unplug it from the wall socket (i.e. you tuck the whole thing back into your hatch compartment), the next time you use it you will have to push the big button again to get the 12 amp setting. It defaults to 8 amps once it is disconnected from the wall...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts