Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a little nippy here in St. Cloud, Minnesota but my Smart cranked right over, started, and ran just fine today. This is my first winter with the car and I was a little worried about it. The TPMS light came on but that's OK.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,607 Posts
-23 here, 2012 with a cheap $50 battery didn't start. The 2005 with the original 6 year old battery out of the 2012 expectedly also didn't start.

Just my luck, the two vehicles in my fleet that could get me to work (the 2016 and one of my motorcycles) are both in storage.

Reactions: penzy and wahi

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Got my plugs but at -27 degrees, we hit the hi temp for the day, I am not gonna sit outside and install them. surprisingly it did start yesterday at -7 degrees...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
-23 here, 2012 with a cheap $50 battery didn't start. The 2005 with the original 6 year old battery out of the 2012 expectedly also didn't start.

Just my luck, the two vehicles in my fleet that could get me to work (the 2016 and one of my motorcycles) are both in storage.
Both smarties are telling you to stay indoors. Why not!

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
Slightly off topic, but how do you guys stay warm inside? When it gets below 25ºF here I've got to keep it revved up to keep the engine temperature warm enough to get heat. It's 9 at the moment and just stopping at a traffic light drops the temp from 188 to 155 and I lose interior heat.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had plenty of heat at -30 yesterday. A couple of times I had to turn the fan up to 3 but usually 2, and never 4. My damn TPMS light is on and that's annoying but other than that the 2013 car2go or what ever it was, is running good in this weather.

·
Super Moderator
17,607 Posts
-21 this morning...of course no start. Ugh, at least it's going to be in the 20s tomorrow and 50 on Monday.

When my car does work in subzero temps (-15 is apparently the coldest it'll start), I generally don't need to set the fan to any higher than 3.

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
Thank you, guys. Didn't mean to hijack the thread, just wondered how you stayed warm in the cabin in those extreme temperatures. I thought that my odd interior heat was just another quirky "feature" of the 451's. This is my 11th winter with it and I've just learned to dress appropriately.:D
Stay safe and warm up there in arctic land.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree that below -20c, it takes a while to warm up. But happy me, my Pure has the heated seats option! :)
That makes it so much more bearable. They warm up really fast and are quite toasty! Haven’t had a problem yet starting at those temperatures. Just came back from a trip and left the car at the airport for 5 days with temps from -15c to -25c and it started up just fine.
Shmarty is awesome!

·
Registered
28 Posts
-42.5'C right now (-55'C with wind) and my 2008 did good until after a few minutes of driving on the freeway @ 80 km/h. Lost all heat until I got to a red light then heat started blowing again. It was fine until I went back out on to the freeway and after a few minutes cold again. Once I got to another red light in a residential area it was blowing heat again and was good until I got where I need to go.

Anyone ever see this behaviour before? Usually when there's low coolant you'll lose heat at idle. Mine is doing the opposite. My only theory is my rear belly pan has been missing for years. The cold air is probably cooling off the coolant pipes going to the heater core at higher speeds.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mine did the same thing the other day it was only in the 30’s F I had about a 30 mile drive and noticed with it set on as hot as it goes and fan speed on 3 for about 3 times it started to blow cool air for about a minute each time. I really don’t thing that beast of a 1 liter has enough to warm up so the thermostat keeps shutting to keep the engine warm thus cutting off hot water to the heater core. My temp on the whole trip the engine temp never got over 157

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
I noticed mine dropped occasionally yesterday but it wasn't that cold out, only 16 (down in Rochester) more of a challenge was the 10+ inches of snow!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Warmed up to -28'C yesterday afternoon and had no heat trouble. -38'C this morning and I ended up flooding the engine and it wouldn't start. Eventually got it to go after giving the battery a charge and holding the gas pedal to the floor while cranking. Had no heat trouble this morning either. I'm thinking what happened yesterday with the heat was either the coolant gelled up or the internal climate control temp sensor was acting up causing the blend door to put cold air in.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts