Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
I don't get it....my smart gets better mileage than any of those cars...city, highway or combined...and I don't baby it at all.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
If I were to get 38 mpg with my smart, I would be ticked...

My lifetime average over almost 150K has been right at 43 mpg. Even in the winter, I manage 40 or 41. Spring and Fall when I don't run the A/C, I can pretty easily get 45. In fact, last Fall, I went through a 6 week spell where I was consistently getting 46-47. :D I checked every tank. Not sure why it jumped, but I was really enjoying it. My driving route to work and back never changed.

A lot of it depends on local terrain and driving habits. I would be terribly upset if I averaged less than 40.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Never believe the EPA....I'm currently averaged on Fuelly at 39.9mpg.
I don't necessarily buy EPA estimates. It just so happens their estimate is spot on with regard to my actual fuel efficiency.

5 years, 7 months with most records kept ... 35 MPG combined highway/city ... city easily being 90%.

It doesn't bug me, in the slightest. Why would it? I think it more odd that I'd be bugged that I'm NOT getting 40 MPG (WAY over the EPA estimate).

Fuel economy was not a factor in the purchase decision.

I drive it like a go-kart, foot frequently to the metal. My apology to the hypermilers, I just love to dog it. heh. IMO, nice to get 35 MPG in spite of the fact that I don't drive with economy in mind.

The damned car is fun to drive! If I was after fuel economy, I would've bought a hybrid. (yawn)

There's no doubt in my mind that I'd get better MPG if I drove like grandma. I can't do that.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Totally agreed, NCC. The smart is the most fun I've had driving a car since my '82 X 1/9. High fuel economy was NOT the most important factor for me to purchase this little bugger either.
I drive mine somewhere between "I give a hoot about fuel mileage" and "Drive it like I stole it" so I am perfectly happy with the end result mpgs'.
(don't they sound wonderful at 4-5k rpm):D

·
Registered
536 Posts
Weight is a huge concern in the smart. I get 40 to 42, but I almost never have a passenger. I'm sure that number would be lower if you added a passenger.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts