Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Smartmadness.com
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres whats in transit to me:

EBC Performance Brake Pads by Smartmadness
Designed for premium street driving. Offering better brake effect up to 600°C (1100°F). EBC Greenstuff brake pads have a high initial brake effect and give drivers confidence from first application of the brake pedal.

There is no such thing as a NO DUST pad. The very nature of how a brake works requires that some dust be generated to avoid rotor vibration (shimmying). The EBC pad creates less dust and dust is more easily washed off than most. All pads create more dust as they are bedding in especially if rotors are worn. Nominal friction coefficient 0.55. EBC

Also on its way to complement the pads

EBC Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors by Smartmadness
This set is manufactured using premium disc blanks. The unique wide aperture slots in the EBC sport rotor helps in drawing cool air under the pad during heavy braking. This reduces brake temperatures and also helps with removing dirt, dust, debris and gas which are created by heavy braking.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Passion Coupe
3,552 Posts
Do you simply not like the redstuff pads? I agree entirely that "no dust" pads can't exist. I traded my part-used greenstuff pads in a heartbeat for the redstuff because the dust is reduced significantly again.

Excellent choice in pads and rotors.

·
Registered
242 Posts
There are other places to the EBC RedStuff's. Don't have link off hand but do a google. Google is your friend! :D

·
He's not mine
9,619 Posts
There are other places to the EBC RedStuff's. Don't have link off hand but do a google. Google is your friend! :D
I Google day and night, LOL. Found Redstuff too. But, couldn't find anything for the smart. Anyways, I've received good news via PM. Thanks John.

UPDATE: 7/7/2009 ... order placed ... Redstuff pads AND rotors! I considered just the pads with the stock rotors. But, the deed is done. :) Thanks again John, for the heads up.

·
Smartmadness.com
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you simply not like the redstuff pads? I agree entirely that "no dust" pads can't exist. I traded my part-used greenstuff pads in a heartbeat for the redstuff because the dust is reduced significantly again.

Excellent choice in pads and rotors.
Thanks for the heads up. I did not know Redstuff pads where in stock and avalible. Well that will be my next set. Im content for now that my new pads and rotors will function better than stock.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I Google day and night, LOL. Found Redstuff too. But, couldn't find anything for the smart. Anyways, I've received good news via PM. Thanks John.

UPDATE: 7/7/2009 ... order placed ... Redstuff pads AND rotors! I considered just the pads with the stock rotors. But, the deed is done. :) Thanks again John, for the heads up.

Share ?

·
Vendor
3,662 Posts
Hey guys and gals,

Maybe you can help me with this...

I personally met with the staff at EBC a couple of weeks ago and asked them about the Red pads and here is what they told me:

1. They advised me that the Green pads are much better for daily applications since the Red pads do not stop as well until they warm up and with a smart being as light as it is it will take a while. So, until the pads are warm the breaking distance can be about 20% more. This was a safety concern since most of us are not using the smart for track days, but for daily driving.

2. They also said they did not have any Red pads for the smart in stock, but will get some in to the country per request.

We have placed an order for Red pads and will have them available as soon as we have them in stock. We will put a disclaimer on the site advising folks of the pluses and minuses of these pads.

Can any of you on here give me some feedback on the Red pads? Is what EBC saying true?

FYI...

We just received (Yesterday) a new order of Green pads and Rotors.

·
He's not mine
9,619 Posts
From my perspective: If they work only as well as the stock brakes, and produce 60-90% less brake dust, I will be a satisfied customer. Dislike of dust was my primary motivation in buying the Reds. Thoughts?

·
Registered
793 Posts
I used red pad style pads before on a previous car and let me tell you from experience..they take a while to warm up!
Here is the simple scenario, I was late to classes back in Atlanta and it was mid January, the car was cold and so was I so as I rushed out of the apartment building and came to the very first stop sign I got the scare of a lifetime. the car did not stop until I was half way out in the intersection! Thankfully nobody was coming either way or I would have been toast. after that I always "rode" the brakes a little if it was cold out to warm up the pads. Now once these pads warm up they are like glue.. just that cold they are more like granite slabs on ice!

·
He's not mine
9,619 Posts
... as I rushed out of the apartment building and came to the very first stop sign I got the scare of a lifetime. the car did not stop until I was half way out in the intersection! Thankfully nobody was coming either way or I would have been toast. after that I always "rode" the brakes a little if it was cold out to warm up the pads. Now once these pads warm up they are like glue.. just that cold they are more like granite slabs on ice!
Now y'all have me a bit concerned that I have ordered the wrong part.
I could just see cruising the highway for an hour or so, never touching the brakes, and have some bozo pull a surprise move in front of me.

John_H, you've had Redstuff installed for a while now ... what do you say about cold performance? As I said above, if it (cold performance) is at least as good as the stock brakes, I'd be satisfied. sato and SmartMadness have me wondering if it's too late to change my order. :confused:

EDIT: I changed my order to just the pads, to use with the stock rotors.

·
Registered
2017 Passion Coupe
3,552 Posts
Cold may be a relative measure. I've had mine on for a few months now and haven't noticed any issues with reduced braking. But it hasn't been below 50 in a long while.

I'd love to have qualitative comparisons but don't know a pleasant, accurate way to get stopping distances. If affordable, a dynamometer designed for brake testing would be superb, giving a chance to measure effective cold stopping distance versus warm stopping distance for front brakes only. Trying to do it on pavement prety much needs a track, private airport, or other stretch of long untraveled pavement and is subject to inaccuracy; while I could have the cruise set to 60mph, for instance, the application of the prake will be dependent on human reflexes.

Any suggestions on getting good measurements?

I honestly don't think it's an issue especially in the Florida climate.

·
Registered
311 Posts
dust...
green pads with sloted rotors has about 90% of the dust as factory.
green pads with stock rotors is about 60-70 % of stock
red pads with sloted rotors is about 50% of stock
red pads only is about 10-20% of stock.

the smart car is so light the warm up period is almost none existent. it got the same story from ebc that boris got.
truthfully smart cars do not need the extra stopping power the redpads provide. red pads are really just for cutting dust and keeping the wheels cleaner.
i am a modifying freak i love to do what i can when ever i cant to my vehicles. completely upgrading your brake for 300 bucks and keeping the front clean is a cheap fun upgrade, not many times in cars will you get away that cheap and gain performance (wither need or not).
ncc1701 your order should ship this afternoon (hoepfully, got stuck to day with no techs right now and 2 clutches to do in smarts) if you want to change your order let me know.

·
Registered
2017 Passion Coupe
3,552 Posts
With my slotted rotors, my guess is I'm much lower on dust than 50%. While I have the kleenwheels to help keep the dust from showing quickly on the wheels and side panels (and there's been less rain recently) the car's been much longer to get dirty.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the reds guys. I've been waiting too and just ordered.

The quantity of dust produced by the factory pads is criminal.

Will post with feedback as soon as they're on.

·
Registered
2017 Passion Coupe
3,552 Posts
Keep in mind that any EBC pads - red, green, whatever - have a break-in coating so the performance will be different than when the coating is gone and the pads are fully seated. For the red pads, they suggest it's as much as 1000 miles before the pads are fully seated.

·
Registered
311 Posts
there is one thing to remember there is a 1000 mile break in period on ebc pads! they come with a special coating designed to surface the rotors and pair them to the new pads. during the break in period there is more dust.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Keep in mind that any EBC pads - red, green, whatever - have a break-in coating so the performance will be different than when the coating is gone and the pads are fully seated. For the red pads, they suggest it's as much as 1000 miles before the pads are fully seated.
there is one thing to remember there is a 1000 mile break in period on ebc pads! they come with a special coating designed to surface the rotors and pair them to the new pads. during the break in period there is more dust.

Anyone else hear an echo in here... or is it just me? :p

1 - 20 of 65 Posts