Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you say "thats the way it is" I have to believe you all. I live in a lightly hilled valley. 90% of the hills here are good for 30-40 mph. My smart WILL NOT leave gear 2 until well over a hill in auto. These tranny's are supposed to be smart, and not damage itself, but man the thing revs like it will blow apart. I've been noticing it because in the last year or so I got a bit lazy and use auto alot more. I used to drive only by paddle, but I found that with the radio up high, I wasn't paying attention to my shifting. LOL So now every hill I come to I have to switch to paddle, drive up the hill just fine in 3rd, even 4th and then remember to either keep paddling or switch it back. PITA! I should just paddle it it's so irritating. Any words from you higher ups? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
OK.....but that's the way it is. The smart holds whatever gear it needs to maintain the speed you ask for by depressing the throttle pedal. If you think it's revving too high (no tach?) then back off the go pedal or use manual shifting to go up to the next gear. Don't be surprised if it has a lot of trouble on those hills with that technique, though. :wink:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I have the pod tach (as well as scangauge mounted). Its way over revving. I can't recall, but I will report back the rpm, I think I remember in the range of 33-3400.
In auto, I CAN go up the hill at 30 mph or so, but it is ridiculous in second gear. Everyone knows what sounds their car makes in what gear. To keep the rpm (and sound) in check I would have to dot along about 15 mph up the hills. In manual I'm always in 3rd by 20mph. If my eyes and ears can do it, why wouldn't the computer do it?? It will not kick to 3rd. I press the gas, not press the gas. Press the gas heavy and let off. Nothing in auto will kick to 3rd till I'm well over the hill. Paddles shift, I zip right along no issues at all.
BTW, these aren't huge mountains. I'm going to guess a tiny 100 foot elevation or less and most have a traffic light at the bottom, so your at a dead stop. When I go camping in the Berkshires, THOSE are mountains, about a 1000 foot incline in a 1/4 mile 2nd gear is great for those.
I like paddle better anyway, time to stop being lazy in auto, problem solved! LOLOL

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Mine does the same thing in "D" on moderate hills. 3,400 rpm is about halfway on the tach - not even close to over revving (and the computer won't let the engine over rev anyway.) Just turn up the radio....:D

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Yep, those RPMs are in the "comfort zone" for this engine. Many folks who are first time to very small engines don't understand that they are designed to rev to keep up with traffic. As for not up shifting under those conditions- perfectly normal, as others have said. Lost of those types of hills in my area. Use manual shift control and you will be happy. While the tyranny will up shift at low RPMs on level ground, it's not a good idea to,lug these small engines when under load such as hill climbs. I believe these cars have an inclinometer that calls for up shifts - sometimes when they might not really be needed.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Not to worry .....

Even in "manual" the computer will not let you hurt the car .... once it gets to redline, it will shift by itself !!

Don't ask me how I know :D

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Completely normal. The yaw sensor tells the trans controller it is going up a hill and the trans will not shift at a engine speed that will result in the engine lugging in the next higher gear. Engine speeds of 3-4000 or higher rpm will not hurt it. A rev limiter is part of the engine control logic.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies. I wont worry if I forget to paddle. At the least wouldnt you say it is uncomfortable to the ear? 3400 rpm in 2nd is scary sounding on a smart. I mean really, I learned how to shift my mustang 5.0 by sound LOL :nerd:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts