·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the Manual there are 3 driving modes:

1-) D- No Recuperation
2-) D Moderate Recuperation
3-) D+ High Recuperation

My ED has D Moderate Recuperation by default. How may I change it to D- No recuperation or D+ High Recuperation?
Nowhere in the manual says how to set these different modes or at least a note that would say that is not available for this model.:(
Thanks.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No paddles... no adjustments available.
wow! that is disappointing:(. So always braking or accelerating. In a down hill the car stops. Horrible design.

Lately I have been driving on the FWY and as soon as I remove my foot from the accelerator the car regenerates/stops when there is no need to do that. So no cruising available.

I wonder why it consumes more electricity going in the FWY. The motor is always pushing as opposed to a stick shift car that continues running freely even more so if shifting to neutral.

The regenerating should be active as driver touches the brakes otherwise car should continue cruising.

·
Registered
832 Posts
There seems to be an intense ideological debate about this. I'm on your side, isai, but others disagree. smart decided to side with them on the default setting.

Sad only that so few dealers know about this or explain it to customers. Its so easy to fix by adding the paddles, and they're cheap for the functionality they add. But AFAIK you can't retrofit them later.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
There seems to be an intense ideological debate about this. I'm on your side, isai, but others disagree. smart decided to side with them on the default setting.

Sad only that so few dealers know about this or explain it to customers. Its so easy to fix by adding the paddles, and they're cheap for the functionality they add. But AFAIK you can't retrofit them later.
Thanks for being on my side though. The first thing that I noticed is that the car behind may not be aware immediately that our car slowed down since no brake lights are on and when we apply the brakes could be too late for the follower to see.

To me this is a big safety issue plus the negative of loosing all that push by braking the car when the driver does not intend to do so. Even an ICE car with an automatic transmission continues a the same speed if one stops accelerating.

Also, I don't think that the car gets back a significant amount of electricity by regenerating. I rather not having this.
I'm going to continue driving on the streets only. Funny thing, I did not notice this until driving in the FWY:D.

I do remember seeing on the manual these 3 driving modes. I thought one of these days l'll switch it to D- not knowing that applies to the car with paddles only.:(

·
Super Moderator
28,242 Posts
Try driving a diesel engine car - same thing, lots of engine braking (high compression) so the car doesn't coast as a gasser does. Not driving on the freeway is your choice, as was buying the car without the regen paddles....:wink:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try driving a diesel engine car - same thing, lots of engine braking (high compression) so the car doesn't coast as a gasser does. Not driving on the freeway is your choice, as was buying the car without the regen paddles....:wink:
At the time I got the car, I did not know about the paddles. Oh well, the whole thing of getting the car is an experimental situation or learning lesson for me. At the end of the lease for sure I'll know better.:wink:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Braking without brake lights has been a part of cars since manual transmission ruled the roads.

While nice, it's definitely not a necessity as people have clocked moderate recoup as something like -3 mph/s, which you can easily (and often) surpass while engine braking on a manual or while driving a hybrid.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I understand your point of view. Here in Canada, most (ie 95%) of the ED's were ordered with the Touring Package (cruise Control). The reasoning lies in that it is actually MORE efficient...

If I'm driving on the highway for 10mi/16km's and engage the cruise, the car will travel with the most economical use of power to sustain that speed. By regulating the speed, there's no spikes in acceleration or braking and the point of slowing down when letting off the accelerator becomes moot.

When I had my gas car, I would always get more km's on a road trip when I used cruise.

·
Registered
462 Posts
the gas smart does not slow down in any way close in manual to the way the ED does in D+

D+
Well, D+ is a whole different beast entirely and I'd definitely agree with you on needing brake lights there. My response was more to the default "moderate" regeneration setting that you're stuck with in the absence of paddles :)

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
One thing I've noticed with the regen + paddles is that it is a little overrated. When the regen feature it charges the battery, yes, but also slows the car down. Then you just turn right around and hit the accelerator (depleting the battery) to accelerate up to speed when I could have just coasted for free anyway...

·
Registered
46 Posts
One thing I've noticed with the regen + paddles is that it is a little overrated. When the regen feature it charges the battery, yes, but also slows the car down. Then you just turn right around and hit the accelerator (depleting the battery) to accelerate up to speed when I could have just coasted for free anyway...
Exactly! Maybe it would be more valuable to me if:
energy used = energy regenerated
However that is pretty much impossible (physics, perpetual motion, yadda yadda).

Keep in mind that the paddles are an option themselves (in Canada, at least). Standard equipment is a 2 spoke steering wheel, option I79 is the 3 spoke with paddles for battery recuperation

·
Registered
39 Posts
I live in quite a hilly area so I'm playing with the paddles all the time. D+ is only like dropping a gear in a manual or possibly 2 gears on a 450 and I wouldn't expect my brake lights to come on in either of those cases. I do tend to look behind me before D+ ing just like you're meant to before braking. When it's safe I've watched the Cruise and it does a delicate job of modulating the regening downhill, it also does a much better job of being restrained going uphill, I use it around town at 30mph in a few places. The wife and I have cruise on most of our Smarts, lack of the option put me off buying a 451 when they first came out here.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Its so easy to fix by adding the paddles, and they're cheap for the functionality they add. But AFAIK you can't retrofit them later.
Paddles can be added as long as you don't have cruise. And if you have cruise, then you effectively have D- already. Just activate cruise when at speed and the system auto-adjusts to keep current speed at the lowest current needed.

As for D+, the brake has lots of play in it, and you can get D+ performance or better by simply pressing the brake pad gently in that play area, well before engaging the physical pads. (The electric is quiet enough that you can hear when the pads engage, not just feel it through the brake.)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Ummm...yeah. That is exactly what it is supposed to do. Take the energy that would have been used by the brakes to slow the car down and instead convert it to stored energy.

If your car ain't slowing down , it is not regenerating.

Figure out a way around that and you will be a very rich man.

Our cars thrive in stop-and-go traffic and in hilly terrain.
I can put 4% back on my meter when I go downhill to the freeway every morning.

·
Registered
646 Posts
wow! that is disappointing:(. So always braking or accelerating. In a down hill the car stops. Horrible design.

Lately I have been driving on the FWY and as soon as I remove my foot from the accelerator the car regenerates/stops when there is no need to do that. So no cruising available.

I wonder why it consumes more electricity going in the FWY. The motor is always pushing as opposed to a stick shift car that continues running freely even more so if shifting to neutral.

The regenerating should be active as driver touches the brakes otherwise car should continue cruising.
EV's require a little learning about what is different in terms of how you drive. You can still coast. The BMW ActiveE functions the same way. The way you coast is to watch the power meter. When it reads "0" you are coasting, and you control it with the accelerator pedal. Taking your foot all the way off the accelerator pedal puts you in basic regen mode. Light pressure on the brake pedal puts you in aggressive (D+) regen mode.

Just learn what your car needs to give you what you want and you will both be happy. Just remember, when you see "0", that equals "coasting"

BTW, this is something that should have been explained to you when you test drove or when you got your ED. EV's do things differently than gas cars. Usually better, but different, so you need to understand how they are engineered to work right from the beginning.

One other thing, if you have a fully-charged battery and hit a long downhill, the car is smart enough that regen does not work. It automatically goes into "coast" mode and the power meter reads zero.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hypermiling on a gas smart can get great results in city driving. Hypermiling on an EV with regenerative charging results in even more drastic improvements because of regeneration.

It's better to think of it as free energy that would otherwise go 100% to friction when you need to brake anyways (we all have red lights, don't we?)

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Ummm...yeah. That is exactly what it is supposed to do. Take the energy that would have been used by the brakes to slow the car down and instead convert it to stored energy.

If your car ain't slowing down , it is not regenerating.

Figure out a way around that and you will be a very rich man.

Our cars thrive in stop-and-go traffic and in hilly terrain.
I can put 4% back on my meter when I go downhill to the freeway every morning.
I think you missed my point. I said the regen is "a little overrated," not that it doesn't function. If you're slowing down to regen you have to waste energy to pickup speed after lost momentum. OR, I could have not regen'd and could have coasted at speed without wasting the battery to get the speed back.

I have the regen paddles in my EV, btw. I'm not making this up.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts