Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was driving my 451 this evening and had to get on it to merge. I’ve been having the 3 bars issue for a few months now but it’s random when it happens. Tonight, when I pulled over to reset by slowly shifting through gears...it wouldn’t go back to showing (P,R,N,D) like it normally does.

I’ve been planning on doing the maintenance to the clutch actuator but now it’s stuck and need to figure how to get it either running or rolling so it can get towed.
Does anyone know why it would be stuck in a gear and not reset after the transmission has been “retaught”?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the shifter handle not going in to neutral?
If the clutch actuator broke and it was in gear the computer can't figure out where it's at, and can't push the clutch in to change gears, so it just sits there kind of stupid.
Can you hear anything moving (the whirr click sound) when you turn the key on and off?
it goes into all gears. Upon stopping I felt a “lift” like the car was being jacked up. Normally reset procedure works.

before I would hear a squeak the. Clicking, now seems to be gone and only does squeak once and still won’t reset.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you need to you can disconnect the cable at the parking prawl lever to manually engage/disengage the prawl. I haven't done this myself to move the car, but it should work to allow the car to be rolled.
The lever for the parking prawl is on the rear side of the transmission, on the drivers side. You'll see a cable which connects to it.
Here's a shot looking up from underneath. You can see the driver's side shiftmotor for reference and the arrow points to the nut that secures the prawl.
View attachment 64915
Oh ok. Great, I wasn’t aware of this. Thank you!
So I would just loosen that bolt then and upon removal should be able to roll?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys, thanks for all the help.

I guess my battery was too dead to do the reset I Normally would do. I had the terminal disconnected because the alarm had started going off randomly and while I was in Vegas didn’t want it going off lol. Jumped the battery and was able to reset . Going to do the clutch actuator maintenance and hope that fixes the issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.