Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I remember some discussions here that it is will be impossible to make adapter plates so we can use 4 holes rims.
Owner of this smart did it.
3 lugs(PCD 112) to 4 lugs(PCD 100)

>

>
There is a big selection of nice 4-100 rims.

CUBE
I know this is an old thread, but I want to wake it up. Has anyone considered using an offset bolt like they do for VW to Chevy adapters?
This would be the through bolt and the other 3 would not come close to stock holes. Just wonderin. I love TSW wheels and there is a set of 7X17s for sale I could get cheap. By the way, these are lug centric. Hub centric would be even better, with the centering ring making it run true.
If the 453 will be 4x100, then i know they got 4x100 to Porsche 5x130 adapters VW to Porsche Wheel Adapters | VW Adapters

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
a 3 to 4 adapter can be made easy but it needs to be a 2 piece design to be safe..

And with that said, the overall thickness of the adapter will be such that a guy will need major positive offset in the rim, otherwise it is going to push the wheel and tire out past the fender...

·
Registered
163 Posts
And with that said, the overall thickness of the adapter will be such that a guy will need major positive offset in the rim, otherwise it is going to push the wheel and tire out past the fender...
well those cars already come with pretty low offset wheels so an adapter and a set of ~40ish offset wheels should fit ..

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
well those cars already come with pretty low offset wheels so an adapter and a set of ~40ish offset wheels should fit ..
I was thinking around 50mm... Guess it would depend on how thin the spacer could be...
Finding a company to produce a 3 to 4 adapter...
Product liability issue???
Looking back thru this thread, I see Big Performance makes wheel hubs that are a direct mount for other wheel bolt patterns...:wink:

·
Registered
163 Posts
I was thinking around 50mm... Guess it would depend on how thin the spacer could be...
Finding a company to produce a 3 to 4 adapter...
Product liability issue???
Looking back thru this thread, I see Big Performance makes wheel hubs that are a direct mount for other wheel bolt patterns...:wink:
yes but ive been trying to contact them for over a month without success

·
Registered
536 Posts
I would have serious doubts about running on the road with 3x112 to 4x100 adapters.
I ran the idea up in a CAD package years ago and it is far from safe.
A 3 to 4 conversion is simple. You don't need CAD. You need paper and a calculator.

With the 3 holes at 0/120/240 degrees, the 4 holes would be at 15/105/195/285. The closest the patterns would come is 15 degrees.

Alternately, using a single common location, and the three hole pattern at 0/120/240, you would run the 4 hole pattern at 0/90/180/270. The closest these patterns would come to each other would be 30 degrees.

A 3 to 5 adapter is actually a worse idea, giving a 12 or 22 degree minimum distance between patterns in each example at optimal clocking.

I realize that using a common hole location doesn't work when going between 100 and 112 diameter patterns. I added that information because someone might want to change 3 to 4 without changing the diameter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
RE: 3x112 to 4x100 hub conversion (NOT adapters)

Need to convert our 450 from 3-lug to 4-lug tomorrow (Friday) afternoon so we can ice race on Saturday. How easy/difficult to swap to the 4-lug hubs from a newer model? I believe there's at least one at a boneyard within striking distance, but won;t have much time so a complete parts list would be ideal. This is mainly just for 13/14" wheel fitment, but don't have adapters and really don't want them (as certain ice conditions have vibrated even properly torqued lugs loose during an event, and adapters can make that worse). Thanks in advance!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts