Smart Car of America Forum banner

3 to 4 adapters

42K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  o2bad455 
#1 ·
I remember some discussions here that it is will be impossible to make adapter plates so we can use 4 holes rims.
Owner of this smart did it.
3 lugs(PCD 112) to 4 lugs(PCD 100)

>

>
There is a big selection of nice 4-100 rims.

CUBE

See less See more
#8 ·
Is it not safe due to the spacing, IE 100? I am not familar with the way these patterns go. But it would seem like an extra bolt to hold it on would be way better. Again, I have no clue how this hole pattern stuff works, but if you could enlighten me, I would appreciate it. Thanks.:D

#9 ·
On the 3 to 5 stud adapters, 1 of the bolts goes all the way through the wheel, the adapter and the hub.
On the 3 to 4, the adapter is bolted to the hub and the wheel is bolted to the adapter.
No matter how you arrange the bolt patterns, 1 of the 4x100 bolts sits too close to 1 of the 3x112 bolt heads meaning there isn't enough material around 1 of the bolts to allow it to be safe.

If it was viable, we would have seen them for sale years ago instead of the 3 to 5.

#11 ·
On the 3 to 5 stud adapters, 1 of the bolts goes all the way through the wheel, the adapter and the hub.
On the 3 to 4, the adapter is bolted to the hub and the wheel is bolted to the adapter.
No matter how you arrange the bolt patterns, 1 of the 4x100 bolts sits too close to 1 of the 3x112 bolt heads meaning there isn't enough material around 1 of the bolts to allow it to be safe.

If it was viable, we would have seen them for sale years ago instead of the 3 to 5.
Thanks. I was thinking kind of that way. But was not totally sure.:D

#17 ·
4x100 was my first choice for our adapters, but we also tried 4x114.3 (4x4.5) and 5x120. 5x112 is really the only pattern that works. Plus it sort of keeps it in the family by letting you use OEM or Aftermarket Mercedes Benz rims.

(And as mentioned, we have them in stock at $300 for a set of four, with hardware..)

Cheers,

Johnny

ZenSpeed.com

#20 · (Edited)
I know this is an old thread, but I want to wake it up. Has anyone considered using an offset bolt like they do for VW to Chevy adapters?
This would be the through bolt and the other 3 would not come close to stock holes. Just wonderin. I love TSW wheels and there is a set of 7X17s for sale I could get cheap. By the way, these are lug centric. Hub centric would be even better, with the centering ring making it run true.

Attachments

#21 ·
I know this is an old thread, but I want to wake it up. Has anyone considered using an offset bolt like they do for VW to Chevy adapters?
This would be the through bolt and the other 3 would not come close to stock holes. Just wonderin. I love TSW wheels and there is a set of 7X17s for sale I could get cheap. By the way, these are lug centric. Hub centric would be even better, with the centering ring making it run true.
If the 453 will be 4x100, then i know they got 4x100 to Porsche 5x130 adapters VW to Porsche Wheel Adapters | VW Adapters

#28 ·
RE: 3x112 to 4x100 hub conversion (NOT adapters)

Need to convert our 450 from 3-lug to 4-lug tomorrow (Friday) afternoon so we can ice race on Saturday. How easy/difficult to swap to the 4-lug hubs from a newer model? I believe there's at least one at a boneyard within striking distance, but won;t have much time so a complete parts list would be ideal. This is mainly just for 13/14" wheel fitment, but don't have adapters and really don't want them (as certain ice conditions have vibrated even properly torqued lugs loose during an event, and adapters can make that worse). Thanks in advance!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.