Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Muffin is going in next week for her tune-up. Not by the dealer but by a formerly certified Smart Mechanic. (They lose their certification status when they leave Smart. They lose the Mercedes hourly rate as well! :x) But I digress...

Besides the stuff listed on the 30,000 mile form I've been thinking about that clutch actuator maintenance that people have talked about. Is that worth having done? And don't even think that I can do it myself. :nono: Uh-uh. No way! :laugh:

What else would you recommend be done?

Thanks!

Kathy
aka smiley
:)

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
The Muffin is going in next week for her tune-up. Not by the dealer but by a formerly certified Smart Mechanic. (They lose their certification status when they leave Smart. They lose the Mercedes hourly rate as well! :x) But I digress...

Besides the stuff listed on the 30,000 mile form I've been thinking about that clutch actuator maintenance that people have talked about. Is that worth having done? And don't even think that I can do it myself. :nono: Uh-uh. No way! :laugh:

What else would you recommend be done?

Thanks!

Kathy
aka smiley
:)
I doubt very seriously you will get Owen to take apart the actuator. If MB says it not serviceable, I doubt he'll risk it. BUT, I've been wrong before. I would say the normal 30K sevice items should pretty much cover all you need.

Speaking of 30K, how long have you been letting your poor smart sit? I would think you should have a lot more miles than that by now?:D

Just kidding. I miss seeing you and Ed....:laugh:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I doubt very seriously you will get Owen to take apart the actuator. If MB says it not serviceable, I doubt he'll risk it. BUT, I've been wrong before. I would say the normal 30K sevice items should pretty much cover all you need.

Speaking of 30K, how long have you been letting your poor smart sit? I would think you should have a lot more miles than that by now?:D

Just kidding. I miss seeing you and Ed....:laugh:
Hi Greg, so nice to hear from you again. Well at 100 miles a week it takes quite a while to rack up 30k miles! LOL! She'll never match WhiteNBlack in milage!

I miss seeing you too Greg. Maybe one of these days you'll be at a Rally? :) You DO still have your smart don't you?

Later...

Kathy
aka smiley

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Hi Greg, so nice to hear from you again. Well at 100 miles a week it takes quite a while to rack up 30k miles! LOL! She'll never match WhiteNBlack in milage!

I miss seeing you too Greg. Maybe one of these days you'll be at a Rally? :) You DO still have your smart don't you?

Later...

Kathy
aka smiley
Yea, he still has it .... just passed 155 thousand miles :D

·
Registered
4,295 Posts

Later...

Kathy
aka smiley
Oh yeah, I just passed 155K this morning coming to work. I hope to see you again soon as well. I've kind of set a personal goal to see just how far I can run this little bugger.:D I know I'm aiming for at least 200K....

·
Registered
64 Posts
As someone who has gone through the clutch actuator nightmare (less than a month after purchase, 40k miles), I'd recommend servicing it as soon as convenient. This was my first mechanical repair with the car, after paying $8000 cash for it. Nearest dealer is 200 miles away. Quoted me $267 for the part... Told them to throw in a oil change, and the bill came to $1000!
Last time I take it to a stealership for repair...
Read through the forums-there are several posts about servicing them. Pretty easy to get to and easy to do. If I had a grand to burn for trivial repair like this, I'd drive a Benz, not a smart...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts