Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am the organizer to a smart meetup group (www.meetup.com/smarties) in Central Florida. A few months back I was given the mailing list for the Central Florida smarts that belong to Ken Wagar to unite the group with mine.

With the group came the responsibility of organizing the annual smart anniversary in Florida :) I am posting this here to ask everyone that attended the last 2 years for their likes and dislikes of the events and suggestions/ideas for the one coming up. :)

I am currently working on getting a location for us.
Please spread the word that the event is on!!

You can send me messages to my personal email as well [email protected]

Really excited about this! It will be great!! :D

·
5,298 Posts
Awesome...another road trip coming up.

No rain this year is my first preference. I had a great time at the 2nd anniversary party, rain or not... even though I missed out on the impromptu drag strip runs.

·
Registered
965 Posts
My suggestion, hold it near or at a race track. The Orlando 2nd anniversary meet was a blast. It did rain on the first day, but the Sunday morning drag races were great.

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
Is Old Town an option? It was mentioned by a couple of people at OTD2.

My suggestion, hold it near or at a race track. The Orlando 2nd anniversary meet was a blast. It did rain on the first day, but the Sunday morning drag races were a great.
An even better idea!!!!

What time of year are you looking at for the event?

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
I'm cool for either or. Old town or the track. Or just say the heck with it and just hold it over at the Cape.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No rain this year is my first preference..
haha I'll see what I can do but I cannot guarantee anything :p
I missed the 1st anniversary since I bought my car after it happened but I attended the 2nd one and yes, lots of fun even with the rain :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is Old Town an option? It was mentioned by a couple of people at OTD2.

What time of year are you looking at for the event?
Yeah I heard about Old Town too... Didn't know people where that interested in Old Town... I thought people might want to do something with their car like last years event instead of just parking it and walking around.

The race track on East Colonial was a thought as well... I think I'll wait on looking for a location until next week and see what the majority would like to do.

I think I might keep it around the same time the last 2 where held... some time in Feb.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have a date and place set ?
No location set as of yet... I had planned to work on that this week but I will do so next week to see what the majority of the votes are... I was just going to get an open field and work around that but we'll see.

I was thinking of keeping it around the same time as the last 2 events... some time in February.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Why not a two part event, Saturday at Old Town and Sunday at the track. The kid who was running the race track said that Sundays are called "Sunday Funday", it is very informal. I did 20 runs last year. Got the lights mastered after that.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
20 smart owners at Ruby Tuesdays is a great thing!! :D
The place that I was thinking of (big open field) is less than a mile from a bunch of restaurants and it's right next to the airport... I just wanted to get peoples suggestions to see what they would like to do the most... but in the end, it will be what it will be lol :)

All I can promise is hours of fun! Oh! and I'm definitely making sure there's an area to race our RC smarts :) I bought me one on the way back from NC :p

Once I get the location then I'll be working on sponsors... lots of work to do!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Hello,
likes and dislikes of the events and suggestions/ideas for the one coming up. :)

I am currently working on getting a location for us.
Please spread the word that the event is on!!
:D
Hey I got a suggestion; I've been missing more of K W's events than not due to it being too early. I can't be anywhere before noon; and it's usually too hot anyway.
-I like the idea of Orlando Speedworld Dragway on East Colonial. Saturday Night there while Central Florida Racing Complex would have us on Sunday.(former is 1/4 mile, latter is 1/8 mile)

-the 1st anniversary was a blast so I'm hoping the 3rd anniversary can be a two day event: (That's how Mustang clubs start out, 1st couple of years are one day events, then two, then 3, 4, now 5 or more)

-ITMT ; any time you feel like putting together weekend "fun runs" down International Drive...

·
Registered
479 Posts
We might go back to the race track in Orlando if I can take a day first and run a metal detector over the place. The flat I had last year was a sidewall slice that made the tire unusable - it's surprising the fix a flat got us home.

I heard comments from others that there was a lot of loose metal around that place. Can't afford too many venues like that!

I kind of like the idea of a two day event, which might include the track for those that are interested. Being fairly new to FL it would be nice to see different locations.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts