Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
444 miles on this tank of gas, pulled into the driveway with .3 gallons
Yes, zero point 3 :cool:
Trip meter reads 444 miles...

Not bad for mostly highway with the AC blasting....

40+ mile commute, each way,
So 80+ a day, 5 days and
I pull into the driveway on Friday with just enought to get to a gas station on Saturday...

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ye, normally I have a little more, but running the AC kills the mileage...

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
Wow Matt, you've got my best tank topped by nearly 100 miles! To me, it seems like an amazing feat!

My best out of 136 recorded tanks was 350.3 miles, on ethanol free gasoline and mostly highway driving at 65-85 MPH.

As I understand it, when the fuel meter zeros out, there remains 1.3 gallons reserve. Likely this is intentional to protect the fuel pump. For several years, before the concern in this area sunk into my head I routinely drove to below the one bar mark, with so far, no ill effects. I haven't really stopped the practice. Nearing 36K on the odometer. Let's hope at 1.3 gallons has a purpose. :)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Milage indicator

It goes to the last bar, then the car tells you .9, .8, .7, and the gas gauge starts blinking (left side of the fuel indicator)

This is the 1 gallon reserve, when it hits zero, you hit zero....

For gas mileage, air the tires up near the max, the Contis are 300 KPA, so I put in 275..

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
Hmmm. Very odd. I don't know how many times (many) I've run it down to 0.0 and even a few miles beyond that. And, I've not once been able to fuel up to nine gallons, let alone 10 gallons.

I don't believe the digital countdown is showing reserve remaining.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
If I remember the old thread Littodevil did quite a while back, where he posted a video disassembling the tank, there is a safety float built into the pump/strainer/sending unit assembly that will cut off the fuel pump before it runs dry to prevent damage.

FWIW, I routinely run mine down to .2 or .3 gallons before fill up. Once I even went about 6 miles past 0.0 because I misjudged how fast those last couple of tenths drop off. I'll pass 80K next week.:)

·
Registered
858 Posts
On smart USA insider they have a vidio were a gas tank is dropped and filled to full...10 gallons. Why they advertise 8.1 I don't know, unless it is to protect the fuel pump. It is under "miles and gas type" .

·
Super Moderator
29,149 Posts
With the heat and full A/C all the time the current tank is not going to make 300 miles; mixed city and local Interstate driving. :(

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
It goes to the last bar, then the car tells you .9, .8, .7, and the gas gauge starts blinking (left side of the fuel indicator)

This is the 1 gallon reserve, when it hits zero, you hit zero....
While in San Diego on vacation recently, I ran down to past the last bar, then .0 :eek: - on my way to the gas station. I was able to fill up with 8.5 gallons - I had a reserve left, but it wasn't a good feeling to see the flashing ".0"!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I got 364 out of a tank yesterday - my best ever. The funny thing is that this was on a trip from DC to Ohio, in some rather hellish mountain passes (for the smart/trucks/anything without a ton of torque) with the A/C cranked.

There were a few miles covered with the car in 4th at about 3,900 RPM coming up the mountains - so I wasn't expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts