Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my car two weeks ago - its a company car....and today the doors won't lock, the gas light comes on even though I have a full tank and the doors won't lock - from the key fob or from inside the car.

But yet after driving it for 15 minutes the interior light finally goes out, but the gas light and the door open light are still on!

Help I want to go to bed but I am scared my battery is going to die!!!

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Check that the gas cap is properly screwed on (you have to hear it click) and the flap closed. Maybe...
And tell us if that was it. :wink:

·
Registered
800 Posts
Make sure back hatch and both doors are closed. The 09s have the loose gas cap light so make sure it is on tight. Can you turn dome light off with the switch?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I can't turn it off and the interior light indicator is on but dim - when I truly have the door open it is bright.

I have tried the gas cap, opened and closed all doors, the hatch everything. What I don't get is when I was driving it the interior light finally went off but the open door indicator stayed on. And the gas light/water seperator light came on - I dont know if this is due to an electrical issue or what.......

·
Registered
800 Posts
No I can't turn it off and the interior light indicator is on but dim - when I truly have the door open it is bright.

I have tried the gas cap, opened and closed all doors, the hatch everything. What I don't get is when I was driving it the interior light finally went off but the open door indicator stayed on. And the gas light/water seperator light came on - I dont know if this is due to an electrical issue or what.......

gas light/water seperator light came on ?????

What year and make, Is this a 450?

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
I did put a (450) in front of your thread's title to alert the 450 owners. Hope someone's on line and can help... :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello everyone, I got my 450 about a month ago and I think i may have a similar problem as jthurgood, door open light dimly on when door is closed (my doors are able to lock and the light will turn off completely when the car is started). Also the water separator light will come on once in a while (usually after the car is parked for a few hours or overnight)... but when I cycle the ignition on/off (without starting the engine) for a few times, the water separator light will go away.

The car seems to be running fine other than that, will this be some sort of electric connection problem?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Sounds like it may be the E-box in the battery area. Moisture causes the connections to corrode. It is a grey coloured unit and should be mounted to the firewall, original location was down in the battery box.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I found the silver Ebox behind the battery and it looks fine. Do I need to take it out and disconnect the connectors to check for corrosion? (Or actually, am I able to do so?)

Thx again.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
It's probably wet inside, so take it out and try to dry it. It should be relocated to the "firewall" from the battery box, it was a service bulletin for all 450 cdis in Canada. Your dealer sucks for not having done it.

If you are unlucky you may have to buy a new Canada E-Box.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do I need to disconnect the harness before taking it out and drying it? Also, do I need to take off the screws from the E-box and dry the inside of the box?

Thanks again for the help! :)

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Your dealer sucks for not having done it.
There was about 60k miles on my cdi before the e-box was moved. Always M-B serviced, so it was overlooked by 2 or 3 dealers in TO and the 1 in Cambridge.

The connector does unclip from the e-box. If the cover can be removed do so and use a hair dryer on low to dry out the internals. If there is corrosion inside, you will want to try to clean that up.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Would somebody PUH-LEASE let us all in on what the outcome of this problem was? We are having similar symptoms to jthurgood (who never told us what was causing his sympotoms) and georgeger hasn't written back... Guess I'll just have to start another thread...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Kabrio, just to give an update, based on Mike T's and Huronlad's suggestion, I disconnected the ebox and dry it out. The e-box actually looked good, but the connector was a bit corrode. I cleaned up the connector and plugged it back in and everything looked normal again. I haven't experienced this problem again for a year already. So yea, I think it depends but for my case, I think it was the corroded connector giving me the problem.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hey Georgeger,
Thanks for posting back! Glad to hear that drying the ebox fixed your problem. I went digging through the forums, and started another thread here on scoa. Like you posted, it seems the issue is due to a connection fault in the ebox connectors, the ebox itself, or a wet door switch. I will disconnect and check/clean the ebox today or tomorrow, and keep my fingers crossed it isn't a problem inside the door. Thanks again! -J

1 - 20 of 21 Posts