Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there some place I can download a 450 owners manual? I need to check out what all of the warning lights mean.

I think I have a bit of a leak. I need to go out tomorrow to check the color and smell -- I will report back. Shouldn't be leaking -- there really aren't that many miles on it.

I also need to bleed the brakes. Is there a procedure on that over on Evilution (or someplace else)? I need to get my wife to paypal a membership to Evilution.

I have some wet on the passenger side floor? Any usual suspects?

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link Huron Lad -- it was a big help.

I have warning lights on for ESP, and for ABS, which it said can mean a low fluid level. The brakes have been a bit funky, and they are on my list of things to do. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a star system as the local smart dealer is extraordinarily not helpful -- makes me want to live in Canada!

How much of this am I going to be able to do on my own?

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
When do the warning lights come on, right at start up or after you hit 30 mph or so?

Right at start up is it is either likely a sensor or possibly low fluids.

At speed, I would check the rear reluctor rings to see if one of them is cracked.

There are no local M-B dealers I would be willing to let touch my 450. The 451 only goes in for warranty work.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The lights seem to come on when you put it in gear and start to go (taking the brake off). The car has about 10-11K Km is all -- I can't imagine the reluctor rings would be messed up already, though those are pretty easy to check, so I'll do that tomorrow.

I'll check the fluid level tomorrow as well. My wife said the warning lights just started to come on.

How do I bleed the brakes without a star system?

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys!

Brake fluid appears to be low -- it says DOT4, so I will go get some now and add and see if light goes off. I'm off to the store for brake fluid -- will check in later. If this don't get it, then I'll look at the brake switch.

Th leaking fluid is almost clear and no smell -- feels like oil. It's coming from the front side of the engine. There ain't a whole lot of room there, but when I look up from underneath on the front side I can see that it is coming from above, but can't pinpoint the exact source. This is the time the whole small car thing bites you in the rear! It's really hard to see up in there, or reach up in there for that matter to see or even feel where it's coming from. I need an endoscope!

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Harbor Freight has those for reasonable prices.
I'll check that out tomorrow when I'm in town -- there is a harbor freight in there. I topped of the brake, but that didn't help. Next easiest thing I suppose is the switch -- doesn't help with the leak. So far I don't think they are linked...

·
Registered
673 Posts
Kenny did you receive the brake light switch? And did you order the bottom part of the housing with the new seal? Make sure that the housing for the switch has a good seal once you put it back on or else you'll be replacing the switch AND the housing.

If reusing the housing, also squeeze the drain to make sure its not clogged up.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kenny did you receive the brake light switch? And did you order the bottom part of the housing with the new seal? Make sure that the housing for the switch has a good seal once you put it back on or else you'll be replacing the switch AND the housing.

If reusing the housing, also squeeze the drain to make sure its not clogged up.
Thanks Brian! Well, before I could get the switch replaced it all got better (self-healing?)! I think it's main problem is that it doesn't get driven enough! It has but 11,000 Km (6600 miles) in the OD, so my guess is that something might have been sticking a bit, and then driving loosened it up. So, I'll hang on to the switch, and work on getting the bottom part of the housing so when it does go I will have both parts -- do you have a part number for that bottom part?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts