Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
450 is the "older" generation, no more in production. 451 is the one Penske imports in the USA, in production since 2007.
Visual hints:
450 has three sided rear hatch, six taillights, vertical door handles
451 has a single pane rear hatch, four taillights, horizontal door handles. :wink:

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
450 is shorter, and head lamps are close to impossible to replace bulbs

Only impossible if you can't get to a Kragen, Auto Zone, Pepboys, etc, etc.

"Peanut headlights" are "Projector headlights". Great lights, I have them

Let's not post what we do not know to be a fact.

Looking for ways to knock the other model casts a very poor light on the person posting.

I own a 450, my choice. I have NEVER knocked the 451, that is somebody elses choice and I respect that.

Donald LaFavor

·
Registered
128 Posts
the 450 is cuter, more loveable, has the original turbocharged mercedes benz engine [instead of mitsubishi] w/ six speed trans, and it gets better gas milage.
But has an engine that will need rebuilding every 50-60k a gearbox* that makes the 451 'box feel smooth, a very hard and bouncy ride, and a cheaper feeling interior. However, I loved my old 450 I used to have, fantastic little car! The styling looks better, inside and out, it was far more tunable and has more character. But I wouldnt go back from my 451.

*geek alert - the old gearbox is only 3 speeds, with an over drive to create 4th 5th & 6th. One of the reasons it is ridiculously slow to change from 4th to 3rd!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Be Objective!

I feel that it is important to be totally objective in comparisons such as this and only to use metrics which can be numerically substantiated.

Based upon my objective analysis, I have determined that the 451 is "1" better than the 450. That works out to 0.22% better.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I feel that it is important to be totally objective in comparisons such as this and only to use metrics which can be numerically substantiated.

Based upon my objective analysis, I have determined that the 451 is "1" better than the 450. That works out to 0.22% better.
pmolink; It is hard to argue with someone who keeps things objective, but I feel it is important to point out a small flaw in your otherwise comprehensive and accurate analysis. What happened is that you missed a critical fact found in rule 27a, para 4 of the smart rule book which states that smart cars are objectively ranked by giving the award to the vehicle with the "lowest" number. Based on that, and knowing that the number 450 is lower than 451, the end result comes out exactly opposite from what you stated. Just thought you would like to know. :)

Bill
450 owner

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Only impossible if you can't get to a Kragen, Auto Zone, Pepboys, etc, etc.
The lights on a 450 are extremely difficult to replace if you have large hands... this I know for a fact from attempting to help replace a light on one once.
"Peanut headlights" are "Projector headlights". Great lights, I have them
The 451s have projectors as well on their low beams.

·
Registered
673 Posts
SuperStevie, your cdi 450's gearbox had to be rebuilt? What are your driving habits? With routine servicing, driving habits tailored to the cdi 450 (not a fast vehicle by any means. Sold as a fuel efficient vehicle) and fuel system care, this should not have been an issue. Many cdi owners on the Canadian forum and European forums I visit have never mentioned a gearbox rebuild.

·
Registered
128 Posts
SuperStevie, your cdi 450's gearbox had to be rebuilt? What are your driving habits? With routine servicing, driving habits tailored to the cdi 450 (not a fast vehicle by any means. Sold as a fuel efficient vehicle) and fuel system care, this should not have been an issue. Many cdi owners on the Canadian forum and European forums I visit have never mentioned a gearbox rebuild.
You are quite right, there havent been gearbox rebuilds. Sorry for the confusion, it should have been:

has an engine that will need rebuilding every 50-60k, and a gearbox that makes the 451 'box feel smooth
What a difference a comma make!

I have a 451 CDi and a 451 71bhp Passion. I used to have a 450 600cc Mk4 Petrol Passion

·
Registered
389 Posts
thanks

thanks for the geek warning superstevie.
well, 6 or two 3's. I don't care. it's 6 speeds up and 6 speeds down and it helps produce better mpg than the 451. I don't have a gap or extended pause between 3rd and 4th. As for the 451 transmission, having driven both, I prefer the 450, and the performance reviews for 451 have been bad, the trans needed an upgrade, and the upgrade effected mpg.
Like to know where you got your engine rebuild figures. If from sites like this then not very dependable. many of the people who post on these types of sites like to modify their cars, incl remapping - no wonder engine life is effected. we'll see how long the 451 engines last, and, oh yes, one more thing - the 451 plastic roof cracks.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Seriously... are you digging up old posts just to look for a fight?
and the performance reviews for 451 have been bad
Well, considering there have never even been any performance tests done on the 450 in the US, this is moot. The 450 is at a disadvantage in horsepower, displacement and torque... I wouldn't be so smug if I were you.
and the upgrade effected mpg.
This hasn't been proven by either the EPA or conclusive tests by smartusa or owners.

Like to know where you got your engine rebuild figures.
FQ101 : Taking Modification to the Next Level would be one link. From one of the more respected sites in the UK.
If from sites like this then not very dependable. many of the people who post on these types of sites like to modify their cars, incl remapping - no wonder engine life is effected.
That's a load of crap and you know it. Sites like these gather owners of all types... look at smartmaniacs.co.uk et al - the majority of owners have stock vehicles.
we'll see how long the 451 engines last
Are you aware of Mitsubishi's reputation for longevity in small engines?
the 451 plastic roof cracks.
No, it does not. Crazing is not cracking - it is a surface defect in the material and has happened to a very small number of cars. By the very properties of the material the roof is made of, it cannot crack. Your glass roof can chip and crack just like any other glass windshield.

If you want to talk about roofs cracking and such, you might want to take a look at these links about the glass roof in the 450 shattering

Google

Glass roof of Smart Car - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

Let me know if you would like me to find more examples of smart 450 roofs spontaneously shattering... googling doesn't take that much effort.

·
Super Moderator
17,734 Posts
it's 6 speeds up and 6 speeds down and it helps produce better mpg than the 451.
Actually, there have been no confirmed MPG tests in the USA for 450s but they do generally get a bit more mpg than the 451s according to OWNERS.

Not to mention that the 451 has a bit more horsepower to degrade mpg.

I don't have a gap or extended pause between 3rd and 4th. As for the 451 transmission, having driven both, I prefer the 450, and the performance reviews for 451 have been bad, the trans needed an upgrade, and the upgrade effected mpg.
Actually you do have a gap and/or extended pause, especially if your tranny has not been remapped. The car's shifting was so slow that you almost needed a calendar to see when you'll get to 2nd. Which is one of the main reasons why the made the redesign. Also your tranny is a bit more, rough when it shifts.
Like to know where you got your engine rebuild figures. If from sites like this then not very dependable. many of the people who post on these types of sites like to modify their cars, incl remapping - no wonder engine life is effected..
http://www.evilution.co.uk/669http://www.evilution.co.uk

Remapping? Come on, you know you just threw that in to spice up your arguement. We all know that the engine is not that delicate, heck it's not really delicate at all.
we'll see how long the 451 engines last, and, oh yes, one more thing - the 451 plastic roof cracks.
Several owners have already passed 50k and the car's still performing like-new and many still have un-crazed roofs.

And the roof doesn't crack, it crazes on SOME CARS. We and smart are really trying to pinpoint the cause of the crazing and the best hypothesis so far is that the company that molded the roof didn't let them cure properly and a whole bad batch got sent to smart.

It explains how several normal mileage people (Suze, etc:) are not crazing while some younger smarts are.

·
Registered
128 Posts
thanks for the geek warning superstevie.
lol I'm not a geek! I've just been on the UK forums too long picking up in fo :D

well, 6 or two 3's. I don't care. it's 6 speeds up and 6 speeds down and it helps produce better mpg than the 451. I don't have a gap or extended pause between 3rd and 4th.
Its more noticable when changing down from 4th to 3rd. It was on all my roadsters (3 of them) and my fortwo, plus my boss's brabus fortwo

As for the 451 transmission, having driven both, I prefer the 450, and the performance reviews for 451 have been bad, the trans needed an upgrade, and the upgrade effected mpg.
Having driven both quite extensively, the 451 is in another league. Smoother gear changes, and a lot faster. We've had a couple of changes to the UK 'box. One where it revs lower in 5th, and one for the auto mode, where it changes up at lower revs to help auto mpg

Like to know where you got your engine rebuild figures. If from sites like this then not very dependable.
Recently, we've had this debate on smartz. So with that in mind I created these polls. Its only been running since the 17th of November, so its not exactly conclusive, but over time it will give a good indicator of rebuilds.

Poll - 450 600cc Petrol Engine Rebuild - Smartz Smart Car Forum

Poll - 450 700cc Petrol Engine Rebuild - Smartz Smart Car Forum

many of the people who post on these types of sites like to modify their cars, incl remapping - no wonder engine life is effected. we'll see how long the 451 engines last, and, oh yes, one more thing - the 451 plastic roof cracks.
Modified 450 & roadsters will increase the stain of these little engines that are already highly strung, but no more so than any other modified engine.

As for 451 roof issues, no problems reported in the UK where the car has been on sale for nearly 2 and a half years so I would suspect its a small issue on a batch of cars

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.