Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have this Smart car passion for 2, 450. Its an 2005, the smart car dealership here in denver cant help me with the thing, and I cant find a manual anywere for it. so Im comming here hoping someone knows a thing or two about the 450s.

The car has always had a problem starting, sometime is would start up right away, and other times it wouldnt start up for an hour or more, Recently the poor little car just gave up on me and wont start at all. I towed it back to my place and now it sits.

I have a few mechanics who are willing to tear it apart to try and figure out why it wont start, but I dont want to have to spend thousands of dollars trying to have someone else figure out the wiring without the a diagram.

So if anyone knows someone, or something that could help me either get and English shop manual, or someone who could tell me how to fix the thing I would really appricate it.
In this state the car cant run, and I wont even be able to sell it :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi i'm from Mexico, and have the same problem a 2 years ago, the ignition wont even move the engine, the problem is a shortcut in the electromagnet that pulls the starter motor, yo have to replace bout because smart wont sell it apart, he in Mexico it cost almost $400 us dollars.

I hope it helps

Soon i have 3 post to place links you will see the pictures of it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here the pictures, if you figure out how to repair it ill be grateful because this one i have stored and the electric motor works, the thing that don't work is the small cylinder sealed whit electric plugs.

·
Registered
317 Posts
ladonna

A little more detail would help.

When you say it will not start are you saying the starter motor is turning the engine or are you saying the starter motor is not turning.

I have a lot of info on these cars and may be able to help.

Let me know if it is the starter motor not spinning or the motor not starting.

ASM

Hi I have this Smart car passion for 2, 450. Its an 2005, the smart car dealership here in denver cant help me with the thing, and I cant find a manual anywere for it. so Im comming here hoping someone knows a thing or two about the 450s.

The car has always had a problem starting, sometime is would start up right away, and other times it wouldnt start up for an hour or more, Recently the poor little car just gave up on me and wont start at all. I towed it back to my place and now it sits.

I have a few mechanics who are willing to tear it apart to try and figure out why it wont start, but I dont want to have to spend thousands of dollars trying to have someone else figure out the wiring without the a diagram.

So if anyone knows someone, or something that could help me either get and English shop manual, or someone who could tell me how to fix the thing I would really appricate it.
In this state the car cant run, and I wont even be able to sell it :(

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
This might help:

DENSO CORPORATION - [ Traducir esta página ]
DENSO, as a automobile parts manufacturer, supplys a wide range of products worlwide including Powertrain Control Systems, Electronic Systems, ...
www.globaldenso.com/

·
Registered
10 Posts
ladonna

A little more detail would help.

When you say it will not start are you saying the starter motor is turning the engine or are you saying the starter motor is not turning.

I have a lot of info on these cars and may be able to help.

Let me know if it is the starter motor not spinning or the motor not starting.

ASM
Ok ok

I'm saying the starter motor is not turning, some time it does some not, that's what the symptoms are, if you notice on the photos the solenoid is plugged to the motor, so if it fail, it will not send the energy to the motor.

Some electric mechanic could give you a good diagnostic of the starter motor.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Leroy? You there? Usually Leroy scans these posts and can offer some great advice. The posting from paulsul sounds like it may be correct, but I'd like to see if Leroy is in agreement. Generally, he's the best mechanic source of info for the 450's right now.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Things to look at are the grounds cables from the body to the transmission and the ground cable from the battery to the body. Check the positive cable from the battery and clean it if there is any type of dirt on it. If they are OK the starter is the most likely thing to go bad. Try to start the car and listen to the starter to hear if it makes a clicking noise but does not turn over then it could be the starter. If you had the Mercedes Star machine I could tell you more things to check out. You can also hook up a volt meter to the starter wire and when the starter is engaged check to see if there is 12 volts to the starter. If not the ignition switch is not sending 12 volts to the starter to engage it.

Leroy

·
Registered
6 Posts
I currently have my '05 Cabrio stranded at work for non-starting issues. Electric is fine (jumping does no good). It just keeps flashing "R" at me - this model has no park position. Changing the gear lever to every available position does no good - just a flashing R and a refusal to even attempt to turn over - much as any automatic transmission car will not attempt to start while in any gear other than park or neutral. Have there been sensor issues? The thought of yet another tow and repair costs have made me totally cold toward this car after only 2 months of ownership. I know the pre-NA models have some quirks, but come on... they have been around in the EU for some time. Any advice folks?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The car must be in Neutral to start, showing 'N' on the display. It could be a clutch actuator out of adjustment, or an electrical problem. It does need diagnosis by computer, for sure. Which is closer, Mexico or Canada?

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2006 Passion had the "same" issue; random starting, sometimes first time; sometimes a lot later. After I wrote the true owner of the smart Denver franchise (she lives in Oregon) and asked her if she really wants my 2006 MB passion as a running billboard on poor relationships with smart Denver, smart Denver staff (who had called me a criminal for having a gray-market car...) called. I brought it in. They ordered a new starter from Germany MB. $850 later, I am consistently starting and I am not a criminal!

·
Registered
673 Posts
miles, with whom did you speak at the Denver Smart Center? When I lived in Boulder, I took both of my 450s (pre-2008) to them and Paul gladly serviced them. He knows a lot about the 450 and what he doesn't know, he tries to find out, or even asks others. I have had nothing but great experiences with Paul (service manager) and John (parts manager) there.

Has there been a change in staff? If you did not deal with Paul (and if Paul still works) at the Denver Smart Center, I would let him know. Tell him that Brian DeWitt recommended you come see Paul. If he needs a reminder, tell Paul that Brian had two 450s, one silver, one black and that the silver one Paul had serviced for the previous owner, Ken Swails. That will jog his memory. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a 2005 smart car that i can not get started when i go through the steps to start it i just here clicking in back took in they said i need a SAN box whatever that is but they also say it is worth $2400 where do i find this box on car

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
The MSRP for the SAM alone is about $1150 at the dealer, plus it requires programming that ONLY a dealer or someone with M-B proprietary computer programs can do.

The SAM in my car failed a few weeks ago and the new SAM, a new external fuel pump relay, new wiring harness, plus labour, TAN programming and taxes cost $1550. I got a modest discount on the parts and labour, it would have been about $300 more without discounts.

It's the fusebox panel, as lebikerboy's link shows, and likely the fuel lift pump circuit has fried out. If you are lucky, a skilled electronics repairer might be able to revive it. If so, it needs an external fuel pump relay, to keep only low amperages going though the SAM.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts