Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car's dead. my baby. she won't even purr when i pet her.

had some electrical hickups last spring, and one day the car just went kaput. driving down the road, all's well, then everything shuts down. engine, electrical, dash lights, odometer. everything. roller.

tried jumpstarting it off my pickup - nothing at all happened when i connected the truck's battery to the smart's. i DIDN'T try to start it off the truck's battery with the smart's totally disconnected, though. I'm told that if my battery totally went up, it could be like shorting itself out even with another battery jumping it.

so i want to get a new battery. i've had this car since new anyway, like 7 years. have a ton of miles, all temperatures (0 to 100+ degrees). i DON'T really want to spend $150 on an optima, which seems like what everyone here does.

IS THERE ANOTHER WAY? what do i need to know when buying a battery? size, amps, whatever? i've never bought a car battery before, and i know AutoZone or whoever isn't going to be able to look my car up.

THANKS ALL!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
The OE battery in the 450 cdi is a 34R. Do not think it is possible to get a lower CCA rated battery than what came stock.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looks like im going to have to get an optima. all the others (interstate, diehard, etc) are the same price... $150. dang.

34r or 34/78 in the petrol 450?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts