Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 05 gk smart that has been lowered a inch and prior to my tire replacement last week I would occasionally get a brake application esp during a freeway off or on ramp .. but now after new tires I can't drive up or down a banked ramp without it applying the brakes automatically.. no dash lights prior or during .. read my year of smart cant have the yaw sensor Turned to disable it .. so if disconnected the sensor under the carpet will I need anything up.. Can I reconnect without a special scan tool to fix any ECU issues afterwards.. it drives fine on flat roads and turning fast .I have new 195/50/15 on the rear with smart roadster rims and 175/50/15 on stock fronts .. any help would be appreciated.... The rear tires are new .

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
I had a problem similar to yours on my 2011 Fortwo. I was on interstate driving along at 65 mph and I came to a long hill that I could coast down. So I though heck why not try a little hypermiling. I pushed the car into neutral as I started down the hill. I expected it to pick up speed and freewheel down the hill. But the Fortwo had other plans. It started applying the brakes and when I got to below 30 mph I put it back in drive and pushed on the accelerator and off I went again. It surprised the heck out of me that it would do that and I still don't know why.
I think I would scan it to see what codes are stored in the computer. I don't know if your 450 is like our 451 in that you can disable the traction control by pulling fuse 11 and that would get you by until you can get it checked. But you need to check your owners manual for the fuse numbering to get the right fuse. You can probably just replace the yaw sensor and clear the codes and be fine. There's a OP on the forum called StevenJB if I remember correctly. But he has 450's and is very knowledgable in them. He could advise you better than I could. DCO

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Replace the front tires, with 175/55-15 or 165/60-15. When you replaced the rear 195/50-15s, new tread, you went just out of spec.... 175/55-15 OR 165/60-15 AND 195/50-15 are tire set sizes that come with the 451. (I'd do that first, personally...)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK I ordered the 175/55/15 for the front .. I guess the used front is getting me a tad off the same diameter as the rear and the esp thinks the front tires are loosing traction in a banked turn .. my old front are the same size that I ordered but they do show the inner bald section .. I'll report back in a few days after installation to hopefully conclude this endeavor.ty for your input everyone

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah me too .. I have read some European forums that stated after the lowering springs installed need the yaw sensor turned 90 degrees on the mk6 n prior .. but I have a m7 .. so either I have a sensor that is going bad or its the tires . Amazon ships the tires tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Yeah me too .. I have read some European forums that stated after the lowering springs installed need the yaw sensor turned 90 degrees on the mk6 n prior .. but I have a m7 .. so either I have a sensor that is going bad or its the tires . Amazon ships the tires tomorrow.
I've been buying a lot of different things from Amazon, but not tires. (I did look for 215/45-R15 on Amazon because I wanted to see if they carry such an odd size, but only found a 215/70 tire there...)

Lowering. (Sigh.) Never did it on any vehicle in the household. It makes the suspension geometry weird. But only reason I can think it affecting ESP or the like is that because you have more stable stance you actually break traction more and hence use it more....

Keep us updated please...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I'm happy to report that replacement of the front tires solved my issues .. I can take a corner on the Offramp at any speed without intervention of the nanny .. thank you all for your help .. smart on

1 - 11 of 11 Posts