Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,
We just bought our 2006 450 cdi and it came with steel wheels with hubcaps and snow tires (145/65r15 and 175/55r15). SO- we ordered some wheels for a 451 since we read that these could be installed on a 450 using spacers. They are the same as the ones in this thread:

(Apparently I can't post any links yet- sorry...They're the "Three spoke wheel from tire rack." I'll give the thread a bump.)

The wheels are 16x 6.5 with ET 27 front and 16X 7.5 with ET 30 rear.

We researched and read that 175/50r16 front and 195/50r16 is what is being used on 16" wheels on 450s in the UK but we can't find much in these sizes in the US. What tires have you used or recommend? And what size spacers will we need?

Please advise, and thank you in advance!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Can you still return them? I'm thinking 6.5 width 27 offset might be way outside the fender lips up front. Before you do anything else would bolt on one of the fronts to verify they're even gonna work.

http://www.evilution.co.uk/513

Rear spacers? From looking at stock offsets on evilution site looks like 30mm would be a good place to start. Would put you at 0 offset, only 1mm difference from stock -1. May want/need to vary as much as +or- 15mm to fit or match the look up front.
A source for spacers in US: Wheel Adapters, Wheel Spacers, Hub Centric Rings | Motorsport Tech

S.drive High Performance Tires | Yokohama Tire Corp.

Tires? For matching front and rears Yoko S-drives are probably your only choice. 175/50 and 195/45 front to rear to match diameters. Yokos run wide so stretch shouldn't be excessive. 195/45 and 215/40 if you don't want stretch. Maybe 195/40 and 215/35 if you need clearance.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi everyone, since it is a massive pet-peave (and bad manners) NOT to close out a forum thread with the end of a story, especially if it could provide others some useful information, I wanted to give the end of this story and hopefully provide some info for other desperate 450 owners. And thank you to silverbrabus for his/her SOLE response to this post! With over 200 views right now this is clearly a topic alot of people are looking to get info about!

Following silverbrabus' advice, I jacked the car up, pulled the front wheel and checked spacing for the front before anything, (and had the tire shop (discount) check spacing and clearance before installing the tires since there is no refund or exchange on wheels or tires after the tires are installed.) I would strongly encourage anyone fitting non-oem wheels to do this. So, we test fit the fronts and they were OK. The rears however, absolutely would not work without adapters.

So, I spent a couple of weeks studying the wheel sizes and offsets at evilution, fq101 and elsewhere and I emailed multiple e-tailers- (who were no help at all) and even called and spoke with techs at smartmadness, team dynamics, eibach, discount tire, tire rack, and ntb about the fitment of 16" wheels for a 451 to a 450. There was hopelessly little info about how this fitment could be accomplished- with the exception of a few sites in german and a few in the UK which basically explained that it could be done- but no clear info about how, only a caution that spacers would be involved, but again, no explicit direction about which or where, etc. Smartmadness was helpful in suggesting trying spacers for fitting the wheels before installing them- but since tires and etc can differ between wheels, models, etc. they couldn't tell me what to try first. I spent hours checking out different wheels and specs on online wheel and offset calculators, and it became clear this ordeal is something not many have been through here in the US, at least that they had documented. There was a listing for wheels on ebay.uk that indicated similar wheels (smarties) would require spacers for the rear, but they didn't say anything about the fronts. I emailed the seller- and still haven't hear back from them...wankers. So anyway, in the end here, silverbrabus was correct- I found a post that 30mm spacers (adapters here) would compensate for the 30mm rear wheel offset according to one UK site, and two recommendations was decidedly better than nothing. So- we decided to chance it and bought a set of eibach 30 mm adapters online for the rears to yield 0 offset. Since we couldnt find anything about spacers for the front- despite the offset- we would just keep our fingers crossed and have the shop test-fit everything first.

Tires were another hassle- good luck finding anything to fit something other than an early 90s pontiac or ford in the us. Pirelli doesn't even ship euro sizes to this country despite euro cars being shipped here for sale, its ridiculous. So, Silverbrabus was also correct about tires- U want tires? You live in the USA? You WILL be buying Yokohama S drives for this car. There are NO 175/50/16s to be had in the US- except maybe some freaky special order s-drives from who knows where. (You wanna keep the factory wheel/tire size? Those 145/65/15s? Ha- snow tires only if you want to keep those factory wheels!...) To make a decent 4 wheel set on 16s, you will want to go with 195/40 or 45/ R16s to make this work in the front and 205/40 or 45/16s in the rear. Keep in mind that front and rear tire diameter HAVE to be very close , or the sensors will trip the ABS because it thinks you have lost traction... (yeah I know...) And after hitting multiple shops and sites- there was no way to make a 4-tire matching set, except with s-drives. So guess what we got?... Right you are.

What we did: 195/45/16s on the previously mentioned wheels with no spacers in the front. There is a trace of rubbing on the front passenger side at the air dam- but it is a trace, and we are going to try and shim the front panel to give a wee bit more room for the slightly bigger wheel/tire. In the back- we used Eibach's hub-centric (read expensive) 30mm aluminum adapters with the wheels- and it is a perfect fit with 205/45/16s. There are 35mm and 40mm adapters out there, and they may be worth considering, but there is a risk that the wheel/tire may extend beyond the wheel arch. Ours fit flush and look stock.

Everything was "special ordered" so the wheels took a week to come in, the adapters took another week and the tires- another 8 business days. There is now a huge difference in the handling, and road noise is much lower now. There is no vibration, no weird handling issues, and hopefully the rubbing will be remedied soon. The original wheels had Continental snow tires all around- so we'll use them in the winter, but we're very happy with the tire/wheel upgrade.

So, there you go. I/we hope that this info is helpful! Next project is to get a bigger fuel tank in there. Cheers!

·
Registered
660 Posts
spent a couple of weeks studying the wheel sizes and offsets at evilution....Tires were another hassle- good luck finding anything to fit something other than an early 90s pontiac or ford in the us.... Everything was "special ordered" so the wheels took a week to come in, the adapters took another week and the tires- another 8 business days.
If it was easy wouldn't be any fun. :D

Going thru similar on mine. Weeks of research. Wheels special ordered out of Italy. Custom machined adapters. Beginning to wonder if I'm ever gonna get them on the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts