Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so im new at this, I just bought a 2005 450 with S.MANN mods (so it says on the body, interior ect) ..

I admit this car is hot, handles better than anything i have ever owned, and looking underneath I can see why. Its pretty unique too, never seeing another like it, reason why I bought it in the first place..

Crossblade wheels hide what looks like aftermarket shocks/springs and mechanicals (sway bar, links ect) all with the words S.MANN on them.

The Body is not typical either with S.MANN skirts, spoiler , exhaust and grill..
interior has S.MANN matts and a few other mods..

I got the car with 12k miles on it and a all the lit., bill of sale, and few filters
(oil?) ,

So my question is this, HOW SPECIAL IS THIS CAR? OR HOW COMMON?
I HAVENT A CLUE...

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Photos would help!

S-Mann is a Dutch tuner and I think that unlike BRABUS they don't convert entire cars in their own workshops, but rather just sell all the accessories. So a previous owner likely bought all those parts and instealled them. It is definitely unique in the USA because there were only ever about 1000 of the pre-2008 models imported there, and how many of those would have a huge number of S-Mann modifications done...?

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Those 15" wheels are "strikeline", not 16" crossblade wheels (which are called "spikeline"). I have a set of the former wheels myself.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for setting me straight. I was told this by seller
I want to do my fist oil change on it soon
Anything i should know. I know it takes mobil 1
How much? And where is the plug.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nice bunch of people we have here, and Im getting a lot of information,
what Im looking for now is the OEM headlites, or if i cant get them maybe covers (plastic bubbles) that go over the lites..

I think they look better than the conversions...

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
nice bunch of people we have here, and Im getting a lot of information,
what Im looking for now is the OEM headlites, or if i cant get them maybe covers (plastic bubbles) that go over the lites..

I think they look better than the conversions...
Canada or Germany is your best bet. UK shines the wrong way. "bubbles" are all one peice with the headlight. "peanut headlights" or Face lift" headlights not "almond" headlights, earlier pre-facelift. Be ready to spend some money.:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
headlites again

now i know what to look for.. now if I can only find them...
money isnt the issue its getting the look right

steveg.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Any Canadian dealer will gladly sell you a pair of these puppies at about $300 a pop. They have a low beam electrical level adjuster that connects to the switch on the lower left side of the instrument binnacle....

Try Three Point Motors in Victoria BC.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
As an aside, there are probably some Canadians who would dearly love to get theeir hands on your HID lights. So you might be able to recover a fair chunk of the cost by selling them.

·
Registered
673 Posts
steveg, welcome to the forums! I have a passenger-side OEM headlight assembly. I would be interested in selling it. However, I would like to question why you would want to convert back? Is it to reactivate the angle adjustment (little dial on left-bottom side of steering cowl with the numbers 0, 1 and 2 on it)?

I have read (on a Canadian Club's forum) that the output of the stock light assemblies is subpar compared to the ones we have.

·
Registered
673 Posts
As an aside, there are probably some Canadians who would dearly love to get theeir hands on your HID lights. So you might be able to recover a fair chunk of the cost by selling them.
MikeT are these confirmed HIDs? My headlights are just like steveg's only the headlights are a hard-to-find (in the USA at least) H9 Halogen bulb.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
CENTRAL NEW YORK!!!!! :D:D:D

Whereabouts? I would LOVE to see that little work of art. Even better yet, if you can't make it to the Nationals in Denver, Colorado, PLEASE try to make it to the Watkins Glen Rally this July!

If you ever get some free time when it warms up, I'd love to make a drive to see this thing in person. Very, very cool find, and so cool that it's local! :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
visit....

Skippy (and others)
you are more then welcome to see my collection of the unusual autos
here in Otisco Lake, central NY 20 miles south of Syracuse, 8 miles from I-81.
email me directly for directions [email protected]
Weekends are fairly open , but the garage is NOT heated, spring and summer I have an open house to the local car clubs. call me first for a private view, not a large collection (8) but all unusual, strange and FUN>>>

Sometime this summer would be a great get together here, or where ever for Smart owners to shoot the breeze , show off and get to know each other..
I will seriously consider anything within 200 miles myself..

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am actually looking for just the clear bubble that goes over the lites, to DUPLICATE..
if I can find left and right this would save me tons of work in modeling them myself..

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
MikeT are these confirmed HIDs? My headlights are just like steveg's only the headlights are a hard-to-find (in the USA at least) H9 Halogen bulb.
I think smartie yank has HIDs in his G&K car, it's the only US 450 I have seen in person with the headlights on. Maybe most weren't HID?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts