Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In doing some research last night, I discovered that the 450's are exempt from annual smog check inspections in California. Not sure if this effects anyone on this forum, but its good to know. The rule says that if a car is less than .8 liter engine, it is exempt. Whoo hoo! Under the wire! The 451 models will have to undergo the annual smog checks since they are 1.0 liter engines.

Ron Gaus, asmartcar.com

·
Registered
306 Posts
My county in Idaho requires emission testing for all vehicles over 1500 pounds, regardless of displacement. So my smart still has to be tested since the dry weight is about 1588 pounds.

Tom

·
Registered
970 Posts
In doing some research last night, I discovered that the 450's are exempt from annual smog check inspections in California. Not sure if this effects anyone on this forum, but its good to know. The rule says that if a car is less than .8 liter engine, it is exempt. Whoo hoo! Under the wire! The 451 models will have to undergo the annual smog checks since they are 1.0 liter engines.
Hmm, not seeing that exemption:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2536

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Contact Name regarding the sub .8 liter rule...

Here's the guy's number at the California state government department that can tell you where to find that rule... Glenn Wilson, 916-574-7452. Very nice guy. Ask him about his diesels :)

Ron Gaus, asmartcar.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts