Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2015 Smart ForTwo Pure, used, in the U.S. Does that mean the model designation is a 451 or a 453?
Wikipedia says the W451 series was 2007 - 2014, C453 and A453 2014 - present, but the 453 body shown in pictures is obviously not the same as mine.
This forum is for the "451 - US vehicle" so does that mean the 451 was sold in US as a 2015 model?

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
models in Europe were made a year newer than the ones brought into the US, so yo should have a 451. The 453 has a different body, wider and much different than the 451. They also changed the names so a "Pure" would be a 451.

·
17,384 Posts
Sadly the Wikipedia entry appears to have been written for the European market. The chassis codes should look like this:

Global (all countries)
W450: 1998-2007
W451: 2007-2016 (2016s are ED only)
C453: 2014-

US
W450: Only available through gray market, earliest I've seen is 2000.
W451: 2007-2016 (starts with 2008 Model Year. 2016 is an ED only year)
C453: 2015- (starts with 2016 Model Year)

If you have a 2016 and you put petrol in it, you have a 453. If you have a 2016 and you charge it, you have a 451.

Chassis code letter meanings (so far as I can tell from translations)
W = Wagon.
C = Coupe.
A = Cabriolet.

Of course, the letter meanings really only make sense with the third gens (W is the forfour, C is fortwo, A is fortwo cabriolet). I'm still trying to see what the internal chassis codes looked like for the 450 and 451. I've seen some sources claim that the 451 and 450 were known as C450 and C451 internally, but I cannot find any evidence to support the claims of those sources.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! That makes more sense than Wikipedia...
Regarding trim level, this car was actually a Car2Go fleet vehicle that was never put into service. It was sold with 25 miles on the odo to its first owner, and I bought it from him.
The Car2Go cars had different options than the Pure, if I ever have time to look it up would it be useful to post?

Meanwhile I need to know, and will post elsewhere, does the 451 have a tow eye bolt hole on the front driver's side, hidden behind the bumper surface? They put two holes on the rear, and only one is accessible on the front passenger side, so I was wondering if for some reason they manufactured the bumper cross member with two holes and just covered one up?

·
17,384 Posts
Thank you! That makes more sense than Wikipedia...
Regarding trim level, this car was actually a Car2Go fleet vehicle that was never put into service. It was sold with 25 miles on the odo to its first owner, and I bought it from him.
The Car2Go cars had different options than the Pure, if I ever have time to look it up would it be useful to post?

Meanwhile I need to know, and will post elsewhere, does the 451 have a tow eye bolt hole on the front driver's side, hidden behind the bumper surface? They put two holes on the rear, and only one is accessible on the front passenger side, so I was wondering if for some reason they manufactured the bumper cross member with two holes and just covered one up?
The Car2Go models are pures that have a few passion upgrades (like leather, power windows, A/C, and a nav system). There is a tow bolt on the left front that is covered up. I'm not entirely sure why it's covered up, but some people do drill out the holes so they can flat tow the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You got that right, this car has heated leather seats, power windows, and the upgraded nav/radio that other Pure models we looked at did not.

The confirmation of tow eye bolt on driver side is great news. I have been searching for a flat tow solution and am curious about the Smart-Tow UK tow bar that uses the existing tow attachment points. Is it legal in the U.S.? If so it would save me over $1K and all that intrusive messin' around.

·
17,384 Posts
So long as you meet state requirements for towing a vehicle in such a manner, you should be fine with flat towing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Car2Go as well that I got with 71 miles a few weeks ago. 2014 ForTwo Pure with Passion upgrades. Any idea why there were so many unused and where they sat the past 4-5 yrs? Title says something about California and then Texas.

·
17,384 Posts
I have a Car2Go as well that I got with 71 miles a few weeks ago. 2014 ForTwo Pure with Passion upgrades. Any idea why there were so many unused and where they sat the past 4-5 yrs? Title says something about California and then Texas.
These were cars that Car2Go likely bought to eventually expand the fleet and/or or replace tired out cars.

Additionally, I wouldn't be surprised if they bought cars just to artificially pump up monthly sales.

Car2Go decided to auction off these cars and now they're on the used market for below market value prices.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I also bought a 2012 Car2Go from the Seattle market about 18 months ago.
Mine had quite a few more miles on it than you guys were lucky enough to find.
Make sure, if you haven't already (or if someone hasn't already) to pull all the tracking hardware they wired in for their biz .
Not a conspiracy theorist, just cautious.
Mine still had extra "stuff" wired in & installed behind the sun visor panel with a flat pane, 2" square, antenna glued to the windshield.
Glad you all got the heated seats, etc. Mine did not come equipped as such. Looking for a decent aftermarket seat heater set, or a reasonably priced set of already heated/wired seats.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I also just purchased a 2011 ex-car2go in white with 81000 km' or about 50k miles. Although I originally thought it was a pure due to steel rims and lack of options, when running the VIN on a VIN decoder, it shows it to be a passion model.

Rather odd it has power windows/locks, solar roof, AC, leather seats, no stereo, however probably a high-line nav,
rain sensing wipers, and steel rims.

So now I need the power mirrors, cruise control, decent steering wheel, and new suspension.

I have looked at a lot of 2011 models which were sold at auction and every single one has the ripped drivers side leather seat and the glove box lock removed.

I guess when the seat gets ripped the car2go decide to sell them off.

As my unit had only 81km's or 50k miles it was the best one I found on marketplace.

It came with not only 4 different sized tires but also 4 different make of tires.

So to date I have done the following:

New driver's leather seat in excellent condition $150(cdn) auto wreckers
New wipers Costco $20(us)
Rebuild clutch activator complete $22(us) Riley's
New set of tires $250(cdn) Able tires
Amsoil transmission fluid 75-90 change $60(us) Amsoil.com
Amsoil oil 5-40 change and filter $55(us) Amsoil.com

complete wash and interior detail about 16 hours.

Upon running the VIN I get the following

Used Cars
New Cars
Research
VIN Lookup

Last Updated: 09-30-2019 12:11 PM EDT
Save Print Email
iSeeCars iVIN Report: WMEEJ3BA4BKXXXXXX
2011 Smart Fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback

$6,323

Estimated Market Value
(Specify Asking Price)

This vehicle comes in different configurations, select one to see more specific data.

Estimated Mileage: 54,636 (Change) Estimated Market Value : $6,323 (Nationwide - Specify zipcode)
iVIN Report Summary

$6,323 market value. (Based on an estimated mileage of 54,636)

Make: Smart
Model: Fortwo
Trim: passion
Year: 2011
Style: passion 2dr Hatchback
Body Type: Hatchback
Doors: 2 Seats: 2
Seat Rows: 1
Drive Type: RWD
Transmission Type: Automatic
Fuel Type: Gasoline Cylinders: 3
Engine Displacement: 1.0 L Engine
Power: 70 HP (Hatchback avg: 163)
Engine Torque: 68 ft-lbs (Hatchback avg: 164)
Weight to Power Ratio: 25.8 lbs/hp

Overview

Make: Smart
Model: Fortwo
Trim: passion
Year: 2011 Style: passion 2dr Hatchback
MSRP (when new): $14,690
Body Type: Hatchback
Doors: 2 Seats: 2
Seat Rows: 1
Drive Type: RWD
Front Tire Type: P155/60R15
Rear Tire Type: P175/55R15
Engine, Transmission, Fuel
Transmission Type: Automatic
Transmission: 5-Speed Double Clutch
Engine: 1.0L I3 70hp 68ft. lbs.
Fuel Type: Gasoline
Fuel Tank Capacity: 8.7 Gal.
Minimum Fuel Quality: 91 Octane Cylinders: 3
Engine Displacement: 1.0 L
Compression Ratio: 10.0
Bore: 2.83 in
Stroke: 3.22 in
Fuel Induction: Sequential Multiport Fuel Injection
Cam Type: DOHC Valves: 12
Engine Power: 70 HP at 5800 RPM
Engine Torque: 68 ft-lbs at 4500 RPM
Weight to Power Ratio: 25.8 lbs/hp

Exterior Dimensions

Length: 106.1 in
Width: 61.4 in
Height: 60.7 in
Wheelbase: 73.5 in
Curb Weight: 1808 lbs

Interior Dimensions

Front Head Room: 39.7 in
Front Leg Room: 41.2 in
Front Shoulder Room: 48.0 in
Front Hip Room: 45.4 in
Cargo Volume: 12.0 cu ft

Standard Safety Features

4-Wheel ABS
Tire Pressure Monitor
Traction Control Stability
Control Brake Assist
Front Airbag (Driver) Front Airbag (Passenger) Side Curtain Airbag Side Impact Airbag

just for info

Tim in Chilliwack BC

1 - 13 of 13 Posts