Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,543 Posts
I'm sure the BMS is a proprietary item, no diagrams or schematics are available except under lock and key in Stuttgart, and the boards are physically composed of all SMT components covered in conformal coating and would be difficult to repair.

It is probably not replaceable either except by salvaging the old boards from a Smart on a junkyard.

· Registered
149 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
And the “positive experience” is???
The positive experience is that they have arranged DHL to pick up my BMS and after a week I’ve got it back. Than I have to put it back into the battery casing and place the batterry in my car. Than it started working. Car could be charged again. Price for fixing it was arround 1800€.

· Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,179 Posts
The positive experience is that they have arranged DHL to pick up my BMS and after a week I’ve got it back. Than I have to put it back into the battery casing and place the batterry in my car. Than it started working. Car could be charged again. Price for fixing it was arround 1800€.
Thanks for more information!

And what was the problem with your 451 ED that at the current exchange rate (1,800€) set you back $2,264??? Was your HV battery pack bricked??

· Registered
255 Posts
In meantime it seems the prices got more realistic. Softronic or Softelectronic by the way is in Bulgaria, there are several more. Maybe we could take the snippet to a new thread and pin it to the top.

I hope i take the most favourite ones in my list.

But again the P18051C is really a easy topic. The hardware defect inside the BMS but also the issue to charging the stack/ battery Packs inside the HV battery and also the possible additional damage on the current sensor will cause additional efforts and cost. There transportation and custom/ tax topics between countries and continents, but also the sustainability for environment seems at least cause additional options for saving money.

As i understand the post by Matchke, he wrote about a deep discharged HV battery. This means the legal transportation needs additional efforts.
but never the less to take the battery, open it, charge the cells and fix the bms, the price seems reasonable. For sure if they need to fix the stacks, replace BMS and current sensor, the price would be much higher.

Short hint: it is much more easy and legal to transport the broken battery inside the vehicle by standard car transport, than to take it out and pay attention on special transportation laws and regulations ;-)

· Registered
106 Posts
SFMike, I am in Pennsylvania. We repair them here, in the USA, it's the cheapest way currently. Several others in Europe, eastern Europe do so, but the shipping and customs are killer. Shoot me a message if you need assistance.

· Registered
106 Posts
Holy crow, that was expensive. We only charge $500.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.