Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my second Smart - a 2009 Passion with 44K miles on it. Have all the service records from the original owner. Lots of stuff done, but looks like brakes were never touched. I see Brembo has discs, pads, and drums available. About twice the price of others, such as Bendix, but still reasonable. Anyone ever installed any of these? Any thoughts? Also, I saw some back and forth on fake Brembo caliper covers. Why? Caliper envy? Seems like fake bling, which is, well, in the final analysis, fake. Curb feelers, fuzzy dice, anyone? I'd rather see meaningful improvements myself. Better rims, tires, etc.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just buy, a good set of ceramic brake pads. No nasty dust.
That's the key word - "good". So much questionable stuff out of China these days, even with brands that I would have trusted without hesitation 20 years ago. It's gotten to the point that one replaces discs and drums rather than having them turned, which I have no problem with, provided that the replacements aren't junk to begin with.

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
That's the key word - "good". So much questionable stuff out of China these days, even with brands that I would have trusted without hesitation 20 years ago. It's gotten to the point that one replaces discs and drums rather than having them turned, which I have no problem with, provided that the replacements aren't junk to begin with.
When you go to the parts store, look at where the brake pads, and rotors are manufactured. Before buying them I usually stay away from cheap priced, items Spend my money better built parts. Not all replacment parts, come from China.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Brembo is an old, established company. Products are of good quality. Installed a set of Brembo rotors on my 1990 Benz a bunch of years ago. Still good.

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
...If there is one thing these cars do very well is stop...
...with that said...get yourself a set of Brake best select C1252....done...
...and with the savings take your significant other for a night into town..

Jetfuel....money well spent...

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,435 Posts
I guess I am guilty of "caliper envy". I am one of the people with the fake caliper covers. Why? The brakes on my car stop quite well considering they are stock discs and drums. I painted my stock calipers with red caliper paint. The problem, I take off my tires and wheels every couple of months to properly clean the inside wheel barrels. This caused excessive caliper paint scratching. I went to the "fake" covers to avoid the repainting issues. I have already done tires, wheels, wheel spacers, and many more mods. To my knowledge, I was the first person to run 17" Brabus wheels on all four corners even after Smart Madness told me it would not work. I like to measure twice and cut once. So yes, I am a "fake caliper kind of guy", but it works for my convenience.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I guess I am guilty of "caliper envy". I am one of the people with the fake caliper covers. Why? The brakes on my car stop quite well considering they are stock discs and drums. I painted my stock calipers with red caliper paint. The problem, I take off my tires and wheels every couple of months to properly clean the inside wheel barrels. This caused excessive caliper paint scratching. I went to the "fake" covers to avoid the repainting issues. I have already done tires, wheels, wheel spacers, and many more mods. To my knowledge, I was the first person to run 17" Brabus wheels on all four corners even after Smart Madness told me it would not work. I like to measure twice and cut once. So yes, I am a "fake caliper kind of guy", but it works for my convenience.
Hey, if the caliper covers actually serve a purpose, great.

As for the 17 inch rims, awesome! I'd be interested in up sizing from the alloy 15's I purchased, but selection is pretty limited, short of spending $4-500 per rim, it seems, or going with 3-4 bolt adapters.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Brembo is an old, established company. Products are of good quality. Installed a set of Brembo rotors on my 1990 Benz a bunch of years ago. Still good.
Kind of my thinking. Looking at their web site, they provide plenty of technical info, compared to an Auto Zone house brand that has nothing beyond basic fitment info.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Thank you. I'll check them out.

·
Registered
715 Posts

Sold... Ok now tell me about rear drums.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts